Register now to get rid of these ads!

440 Six Pack Value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billa212, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billa212

Billa212
    from Milwaukee

Sorry for a "what's it worth" post, but a local guy has two 440 six pack motors for sale complete less intakes... I have no idea what they're worth and wanted some opinions before I call the guy up and get screwed. I haven't seen the motors, but here's the ad:
    http://neworleans.craigslist.org/pts/1136503185.html
    I've already got a 460 short block, but thought keeping the ole girl MOPAR might be nice

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

make sure they are 6 pak ,,check the rod #'s if you can ..mising the intake set up 700 id say

3. running 440s can be found around for 1k range

4. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

how much does he want for them, what are there conditions?

5. The six pac mills had forged lower ends. Really stout look at at a 6 pac lowere end and a 440 mag lower end side by side and you'll see what i'm talking about.

I have no idea what hey are going for today. But if it gives you a clue I got an HP block that i was offered 900.00 for in the later '90s. That was a bare block.

Look on the pass side of the block near the motor mount. The 6 pac block will say 440-HP (cast in). If it doesn't say that it is not a 6 pac motor.

It may be a worth while endevor to get one or both of them it depends on how much water they were under during the hurricane.

6. James427

James427
    BANNED

OK, a little bit of " I once heard" type info being passed about here. Some of it more accurate than others. So, I'll post my 2cents worth and you be the judge...

I agree with 440 roadrunner. There is really NOTHING very "special" about a "six pack" block at ALL. There is a pad on the front deck just in front of the intake. It will have numbers stamped into it. The date stamp and the type of 440 it is should be stamped there. If it is a "good" 440 it will be stamped "HP" for "high performance."

Six pack rods, the myth..

Yes, there ARE six pack rods that are much beefier than the standard 440 rods, BUT these were also put into a ton of plain "U" code (4bbl) engines in 70-71 too versus the "V"-code six pack engines. If you are a serious horsepower freak, you will probably toss or sell these rods anyway, because they are HEAVY and you can buy MUCH better and stronger aftermarket aluminum rods that will work better and be lighter.

Because they put "six pack" rods in regular U-code 440's, THERE IS NO WAY TO PROVE ANY CLAIM TO IT BEING A "SIXPACK" ENGINE unless you have a stamped VIN SHOWING the V-code or a build sheet with a matching VIN from a V-code car. So, everyone with a 440 calls their engines a "sixpack" engine to increase the selling price.

What DOES make these engines MORE valuable is the DATES. There are many more people wanting/looking for a 1970 or 1971 440HP block, so WHEN it was made has more bearing on value than if it is a six pack block or not to those in the know. I had a nice clean 440HP block that I sold for $1,000, but that was three years ago at the peak of value for these engines. Now in today's market I'd say a GOOD 440HP block, with standard bore, a good 70/71 date and no damage will still bring $800-$1,000 to the right buyer. The rest of the stuff has value too, but not very much. Some of the more valuable parts are a V-code sixpack dizzy, the correct factory Chrome 70 or 71 440 valve covers, a 402(?) stamped oil pan from 70-71, etc. Heads, not so much value unless they are fresh and even then you are just paying for the freshness.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  7. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

James427's info is right on. Also, on the pad on the front of the engine, it could say HP2. The motors stamped HP and HP2 are the same. Easiest way to check though is to look at the VIN stamped on it like James427 said.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  8. Minus the intakes and carbs is it like an ad saying "T bucket for sale minus body. "
    Some early first year engines did not have eybrowed pistons but later motors did. The six pack rods (also found in motor hmes and trucks ) are very strong and get a bad rap because they are heavier. Hemi Rods are even heavier but no one whines about them and the stroke and bearing sizes are the same 426 hemi to 440 of any description) Because of the heavier rods the Six pack cranks were a bit different and the balancer was bigger. or heavier, but not external , just bigger or heavier.
    The six pack cams while exactly the same profile as the hi pref engines of the same year (By profile I mean lift and duration) had a slightly different taper to insure lifter rotation . Power wise there would be no difference. If they are six pack motors of the later variety you will be able to see the valve reliefs in the pistons through the spark plug hole with a flashlight. They are like Chevy psitons with 4 valve reliefs so they can be used in either side. Heads are the same. Should also have windage trays.
    Don

9. Greg_H

Greg_H
    from Enid, OK

Stamped on the pad by the distributoe will be HP. It will actually be something like F 440 HP2 Fbeing the year model for 70, G for 71 and so on. 440 is displacement, H is for High Performance, P is for premium fuel and I forget what the 2 is for. In 69, there was no such thing as six pack rods. Of couse the only six packs in 69 were the roadeunners and super bees that came in 69 1/ with the lift off hoods. In 70, al HP blocks got the heavier rods. They have a matching damper that has an obvious extra weight on the front of it. I used to know this better but have been out of the Mopars for awhile now. I would also check out www.moparts.com Heads will be the same but it seems like there may have been a heavier rocker arm. 70 six pack intakes were cast iron also.

10. www.moparstyle.com is a better location for more info. and a whole lot LESS of the attitude of moparts.com.

11. All of this info being passed along about how to ID the engines, but nobody is offering to answer his question -- WHAT`S IT WORTH ?

$1000 seems to be a realistic number for a complete 440, give or take for forged internals, motor-home engines, etc ...

12. RacerRick

RacerRick

You need to remember that they made 6 pack engines from 69-72 (very very rare in 72). These engines all have easy to find identifiers. Remember that the block is the only thing that has the special identifiers!

1. On the one side of the block will be a complete date - cast right in. 6 packs should be cast between 69 and 71.

2. On the opposite side of the block should be the casting number that ends in 440-x where x is the core number. Core number doesn't matter.

3. On the ID pad on teh block next to the distributor, should be E440, F440,or G440 for any 69-71 440 block. It might also just have E44, F44, of G44. The important thing is that somewhere on the ID pad should be a HP or HP2 identification signifying a hipo motor.

If everything checks out to this point, you have a 69-71 factory Hipo 440 and a core will get you about $1500.

4. Just above the oil pan rail there is a machined pad that should have a partial VIN stamping. There should be a "V" stamped near the front of the VIN. If its a complete VIN it will be the 5th digit but a lot of the time they don't bother with the first four digits. This with positively id the motor as being a 6 pack motor and you can probably get $2500 for the core.

Around here plain jane 440's go for $600-800.

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

WIW? depends on location, but assuming they are really complete with everything except the intake and need freshening, ~600-1000.

14. scrotilson

scrotilson

"it should say HP2". "The motors stamped HP and HP 2 are the same".

Yes.......they are the same. All the number 2 indicates, is that it was built during the 2nd shift at the plant.

15. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My two cents;
    '69 Six pack motors were the same as the 4bbl motors. Except they were supposed to have choice cranks and rods, don't know this for sure.
    '70 up motors had the heavy rods, notched pistons, low taper cam/lifters and maybe a different balancer (don't remember for sure). The Chrysler TNT motors of those years were much the same except a 4bbl.
    They all might have a low dash number after the casting numbers.
    Maybe 1-6 or 8.
    And should be stamped HP or HP2 on the front pad.
    There also might be part of the VIN stamped around the oil pan rail.
    Gene

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I bought a stock running Thermoquad equipped 440 from a '73 Motorhome and it came with the forged crank/internal balance and 908 six pack rods. Quite the surprise!

17. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

If they are 1969 motors they use the same rods as any 440... What is called the sixpac rod didn't start being used till 1970.....

18. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

The OP's post was over 12 years ago. I think they're probably sold by now!

Jibs likes this.
  19. spudshaft

spudshaft

I thought the estimates of value seemed low.

20. Guy's this thread is 12 years old, I'm sure the oP has made his decision a long time ago. HRP

alphabet soup and fauj like this.
  21. RodStRace

RodStRace

Considering the question was asked 12 years ago, I don't know how much help the new posts will help.
    69 had a basic 440 4bbl long block with the aluminum intake and carbs.
    70-71 had the different rods, which required external balance (balancer) and the low taper cam and lifters. Some places say the pistons were slightly different too, but any major freshening would replace the pistons, cam and lifters. The intake and carbs were different.
    Mopar would tend to have supply and inventory issues back then, causing stuff like intakes to be used until new stock arrived. Also, there have been enough strange and 'not available' original cars/equpment documented that the phrase "never say never" applies to production during this non-HAMB era.

egads likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

Edelbrock supplied the intake manifolds for the early '69-1/2 cars...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. 6sally6

6sally6

12 YEAR OLD post!!!!.......Duh.. 2.32 mining nose gold!.jpg

VANDENPLAS, fauj and Deuces like this.
  24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Uh oh, we made the HAMB yard duties angry, I hope they don't put us in time out the whole recess...

Budget36, fauj, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm always wondering how bored someone has to be to dig up a 12 year dead thread to expound their alleged expertise on it.
    Not even close to an FNG who found the thread on google and just has to join to share his wisdom ether.

As for resale value just like a lot more crap, usually quite a bit more than they sold for then. Super car stuff seems to have leveled out though.

VANDENPLAS, X38 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  26. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How funny would it be if the guy still had em?:D:D:D:D:D

27. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^
    If he's a HAMB'r I'd say there's a good chance he still does !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.