Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another 700R4 issue to be solved.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by milwscruffy, Jul 24, 2021.

1. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I was wondering if you got it fixed, that sucks. I hope the new shop finds the trouble.

2. We have run it through the gears multiple times installed in the car with the pan off to check just for that, the detents all lined up and clicked into place. Shifter linkage is nice and free with no binding what so ever.

3. nunattax and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I know my 1993 Z28 transmissions are one year only units, are they even designed to be ran without the computer? I thought it used the computer for shifts and the TV cable to control line pressure? I have a couple of them in storage but havent looked at them in years, don't they have the electrical connector on the base for the ECM to hook up?

5. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Take it to Automatic Transmission Design in Germantown. Ask for Charlie. They did the 700r4 in my 61 Fairlane (see my member pic) That car had 514 dynoed hp and Charlie said he built my 700r4 to handle 600+ hp all day long. Trans has been in the car for about 6 years now without issues. They'll do it right.

rod1 and milwscruffy like this.
  6. Hipsters ( ADT)is where it's going, just waiting on parts to show. My dyno'ed @611HP, 655 trq so trying to put all the good stuff in it to make it last. If I had to do things over I probably would have gone with a 4L80, but I had a couple 700R4's laying around at the time of mock-up. Luckily I know some people who know Charlie quite well, who will call ahead for me, as I've heard he can be a bit moody.

7. Nope , no computer on 700R4's any year including 1993. TV cable only with a 4 pin connector for O.D. 1994 was first year for a computer in the 4L60e.

8. Set this up for cruising the highways, 1st gear will definitely be short, but with a 29" tall tire, 4:11 rear gear and .70 O.D @70 it'll be 2396 rpm's. That I can live with. Convertor is a 12", 2600 stall and O.D.lock-up.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Not that it matters with the OP, but the 700R4 went to a 4L60, then a year later was a 4l60E that the brain took over.
    Who knows why GM called them that, no clue.
    Kinda wished they came out with a non E controlled 80 series tranny. Would have been a 400 with OD.

10. The 4L60 designation represents the fact the transmissions are four gears, Longitudinally positioned, The transmission is capable of supporting a 6,000-lb Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    ffr1222k and Budget36 like this.
  11. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Charlies a great guy. I think it appears hes moody but hes really not, at least hes never been to me. I think hes just under a lot of pressure.
    Hes the guy everyone wants to talk to when they call there so Im sure there are days that hes had his fill of talking on the phone, scheduling, etc, etc.
    In my opinion the trans should really be set up with a pressure gauge, its more accurate .

12. I have the pressure gauge and it's how I found the problems to begin with. It'll be used to set things up. I'll get to ADT early so Charlie's fresh for the day, Lol.

TA DAD likes this.
  13. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Let us know what they found on teardown. 700's can be finicky.
    Aren't auto trans fun? I did them for many years at the gm dealer. Had to stop doing them, it was killing my paycheck. A 4wd 8spd pays about 6.5 hours to "overhaul" including the R&R. Would rather do recalls all day than loose money fixing gm junk.

Algoma56 likes this.
  14. That's the plan is to help inform others, oh and get a transmission with all four gears too !

15. When I rebuilt the 700r4 in my OT Corvette I used the service manual for it. When I got done, it would not shift right similar to your problem. About pulled my hair out trying to find problem. I had used this diagram for ball locations when rebuilding, I thought I had lost one as I was one short. Bought another ball and put them all in. After about the 5th tear down trying to find problem, I tried it without that ball and it shifted fine. It was so long ago that I don't remember which one it was but the manual was in error. That had to be atleast 20 years ago and it still shifts fine. Maybe you got too many balls. lol 20210904_113027.jpg

nunattax, Algoma56 and Budget36 like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Number of gears, direction in vehicle (Longitudinal or Transverse), GVW (GVW x100: 3,000 - 9,000lbs, relates to the torque value required to move said weight), Electronic shifting.

The 700R4 did not go to the 4L60. It was just renamed to comply with the corporate naming convention. All of the transmissions were renamed because there was no naming convention, and the existing names did not indicate much of anything about the transmission application. A TH400, a TH425, and a TH475 have very different applications, and even share parts with each other, and the TH375, but all of the numbers are nearly meaningless.

The TH400 was never offered with an extra gear in non-electronic, because the company already had replaced all automatics, including the Allisons in heavy trucks with electronic transmissions. It was the straggler. Through the last years of the TH400 it was not even called that. It was called the 3L80. It directly transitioned to the 4L80E, which shares some parts.

The E designation has subsequently been dropped, as there are no more non-E transmissions to distinguish from, so a 10L90 is electronic, even though it does not mention it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
  17. Budget36

Budget36

I guess I should clarify my statement. The last year the Fbody’s used a TV cable (non computer tranny) they were 4L60’s. I think that was 92?
    Anyways, good info posted!

18. The last of the newer stronger parts showed up yesterday, mainly a 4L79 input drum. That should take care of the last weak link in the transmission, 3/4 area, I hope. Trans was dropped off this morning at builder #2 and looks to be 2 weeks out. All transmissions built at this place ATD are dyno'ed before they leave and I'll know it's right before the 4th and "final" install.

ottoman, Blue One, TA DAD and 5 others like this.
  19. I'm tuned in, waiting for a successful outcome- good luck!!!

milwscruffy and Blue One like this.
  20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

May I add my 2 cents, please ? With a 29" tire and 4:11 rear, your eng will spin 3,334 rpms at 70 mph; in O/D, 2,334 rpms. At 80 mph, 3,811 rpms; in O/D, 2,667 rpms. I'm watching closely since my Deuce has a 700R4 with 37, 000 on it and no trouble yet.

21. Well we are close on numbers, I use the Spicer RPM calculator, and came up with 3423 & 2396 @70 mph and 3912 & 2738 @ 80 mph with a .70 O.D. All numbers I can most definitely live with on the street and still have a 4:11 rear gear to boot. Hopefully hear from the shop next week. Thanks.

pprather likes this.
  22. @milwscruffy , I too, am watching your posts. Sounds like you have it planned out. I check out most of the 700R4 threads, keeps me informed for future trouble shooting of my own stuff.

milwscruffy likes this.
  23. Called today, looks like middle of next week before it's ready, at this point the hurry up part no longer matters.

scrappybunch likes this.
  24. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Patiently waiting for what they find wrong.

milwscruffy likes this.
  25. That makes two of us !

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

This is like waiting for Christmas to get here!

milwscruffy likes this.
  27. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I'm following as well. Your victories are our victories and err...knowledge.

milwscruffy and nunattax like this.
  28. Went there today and it hasn't even been torn down yet, see where things are in another week. Can't catch a break on this thing.

scrappybunch and Budget36 like this.
  29. Budget36

Budget36

Hang in there, at least you are not getting it painted…

rbrewer and 427 sleeper like this.
  30. The transmission is now the running joke when buddies come over on Friday nights for sheepshead. Always good to start the night out with head shakes, a good laugh and a reason for an adult beverage.