Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ignition wire curiosity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MGAJIM, Aug 31, 2021.

1. MGAJIM

MGAJIM

Gentlemen,
    I have been using Accel 8.8 ignition wire without problem for many years. So out of curiosity I checked the ohm rating against what Accel claims as 500 per foot. Mine shows around 5000 ohms with a unused sample of the Accel showing 3000. This is still well under the SAE recommended value but not what the box/Holly internet site suggests. Anyone come across this before? Thanks!

2. Budget36

Budget36

Could you be looking at specs for non-resistor type wires?

3. squirrel

squirrel

non resistor wires would be close to zero ohms, eh? like, less than one.

Truckdoctor Andy and Moriarity like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I guess, but (not that I look ) I’ve never seen a 500ohm/ft before. Always seen the 3-5k though.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

How old are they, and/or are they carbon core or spiral wound?

If the ignition is a good hot spark I bet you could find something else to worry about though

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I use the Accel 300 plus cut to fit Black with yellow writing with
    Redish Orange boots , wire are on small cap with wire run down back of block around Bell / heads under headers all 4 wire zip tie together then front 2 cylinders on on each side & coil is mounted on end tail shaft of transmission, with & with out a Digital MSD box with No issues , missing or crossing , wires are about 4-5 years old , around 15,000 miles on them with as much as 13:1 compression . In pass I feel I had issues with MSD , BlueMax , Mallory.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. MGAJIM

MGAJIM

Gentlemen,
    I still have the box the set came in and it claims silicon graphite RFI Suppression 500 Ohms per foot. Perhaps just marketing BS as a unused sample measures 3000 ohms. Thanks for your insites.

8. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

May be try another Ohm meter .
    When I see something unusual I usually use 3 what ever to test whats in question.
    @ one time I was seeing a problem on pressure, I made a tree and used six different gauges to verify, 2 of the 6 where off as much as 20ish psi.
    Are you experiencing a misfire?
    I have only Ohms wires if I Had a ignition problem or using a mag.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're traditional hotrodders. We use Packard 440. Nobody listens to AM radio anymore, anyway.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I was going to mention that. Have an expensive Triplett DVOM that does everything. Powered by a single 9V battery. When the battery starts to get weak the number indicated get really screwy, to the high side. Took me a while to figure that out.

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

No love for the guys with pacemakers, eh? :)

12. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Ah, YES.

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unfortunately, it's also traditional not to worry about stuff like that. We were fearless back in the day. I was at a vintage race one night, an intermission show where they were running 410 sprints. Some of those drivers came to our end of the pits, and they could not believe that most of the midgets and a lot of our sprint cars didn't have roll cages. To a man, they all said they would refuse to drive something like that.