Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 2K Primer Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Aug 29, 2021.

1. BJR

BJR

OK I screwed up mixing my 2K polyester primer. I only put in 1/4 the amount of catalyst that it asked for. Will I be OK, or am I screwed? I plan on leaving it for a week before I try to sand it.

2. You'll know tmrw morning lol, but I'm willing to bet that it'll be fine, just slower to cure.

squirrel likes this.
  3. I'm sure I'll get flamed by the pros here, but when i am painting and i know it's gonna be a couple of days before im gonna get back on my clear for cut and buff, i cut back on my activator to slow it down. That's how i do it, the way i like doing it, and I've done it for a long time. So, I'd be willing to bet you'll be fine, cure time will just be retarded

4. BJR

BJR

"So, I'd be willing to bet you'll be fine, cure time will just be retarded"
    I think the paint mixer was retarded this morning!:eek:

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.

5. You need to take it off. It is not and will never be fully cured and will continue to move around forever. Even if it seems "dry" it has not been fully catalyzed. Putting a little less catalyst is a huge difference from not using 3/4 of it.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

7. Polyester primer uses very little catalyst
    Only using 25% isn’t cutting back on the catalyst. That’s asking a product to do something it’s not engineered to do.
    Imagine body filler with 25% hardener.

you’ll know when you try to sand. You’ll know even more when you apply something on top of it.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
    oldiron 440 and Hollywood-East like this.
  8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im no expert . but smart people wrote the recipe . paint cost way to much nowadays to chance it . IMO and ive made every mistake possible .EVERY one POSSIBLE

9. I'm using 25% hardener in my filler everyday at the moment, inch to a golfball rule and i won't make it from the bench to the car in the temps I'm currently working in.

saltflats and seb fontana like this.
  10. I use a scale. 2% by weight. No issues.

11. I adjust my catalyst by the temperature in the shop

12. Shouldn’t have to if you mix on a scale

13. You're talking plastic body filler? Around here, it's a little more hardener in the cooler months, and a little less in the heat. The amount of filler doesn't change, just how much hardener i use. I'm sure i do it wrong by your standards, but it's worked for me for 39 years.

reagen likes this.
  14. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It might dry but your primer will not cure...

15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Lacquer dries through evaporation...
    Urethane dries through a chemical reaction/ catalyzation, Correct part's ratio, Or No Bueno...

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  16. Depends on type of polyester too
    If it’s a DTM, the chemicals that promote adhesion for bare metal is in the catalyst.
    Using 75% less could affect adhesion

17. Yes. I mix body filler on a scale for the nice stuff.
    Nice predictable curing. Plenty of time to work.
    Consistent color.

18. big bird

big bird

If we're talking epoxy primers, like DP-90, it has to come off. Even if it did eventually "dry", it's not chemically "dry". I spilled some mixing it in 2007 and it's still gummy.

19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Damn! Sometimes you gents make me feel so inadequate in my home shop !!

Luckily I make up for it in other area's !! :p

reagen and squirrel like this.
  20. My favorite line. I hear it everytime I get called to a shop to see a filler failure.

21. Not saying anyone is wrong or right.
    But when it counts, I mix it by weight

22. Filler failure? I'm not an engineer sir, but I don't understand? I'm not as big time as you, but i go through plenty of filler in my what you would refer to as a hokey ass body shop, but i don't guess I've ever had a filler failure? Or a primer failure, paint failure, or any failure for that point. Maybe it's a lack of training or experience from the body shops that you are a paint rep for, but I have zero problems around here. Guess my materials are as stupid as i am. But i stay so busy i don't have time to worry about it ;)

23. I’ve never had a comeback from a filler issue with or without using a scale.
    The same for the epoxy under filler or filler on bare metal.
    When fillers started getting crazy expensive, mixing on a scale made sense. The curing time and wiping time became consistent.

24. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

THIS (plus no paint booth area) is why I don't do my own paint. There is too much that can go wrong and if you're not up to date on products,you can create a real mess. More power to you, if you want to do your own but I'm not taking that chance.

25. unfinished

unfinished

I'm on yore side of the fence. My shop is not air conditioned. It is unbelievable how quick bondo cooks up when temps are in the 90's. But if other methods work for others, that's great. I will go ahead an stir up the pot here. When I mix my paint I change my thinners as I progress through a paint job. I end up with a slow thinner in the last coat. Man you would not believe the problems I have had(sorry, these problems aren't paint related, so I don't reckon ya'll really want me to expound upon them).

reagen likes this.
  26. BJR

BJR

Well I waited 6 days and sanded the primer. It sanded fine with 320 dry, no filling the paper or acting any different than if it was mixed correctly. So...... I am going with it. Maybe I will have problems down the line but we will see. I blocked it out today and recoated with primer mixed correctly. Thanks for all who replied, I appreciated your comments. Brian

27. Good.
    We like good news

BJR likes this.
  28. Amazing ;):D

BJR likes this.
  29. The one time I tried painting. I created my own witch's brew and wound up with soft paint. Out of desperation, I tried an overnight under IR heat lamps. This is not intended to be a 'cure for what ails ya', but I lucked out and it saved my happy ass.