Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Ford Coupe Doors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model40, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Model40

Model40
    Member Emeritus
    from MA

Does anyone know what 34 Ford doors are interchangeable? In my case, I need doors for a 5 window and have heard that fronts from a 4 door sedan will fit. I also heard somewhere that 3 windows doors are the same as 2 door sedan doors.

Is any of this correct or possible with minor modification?

I have the repair panels but the passenger door is a real project.

2. Uptown83

Uptown83

The fordor doors have to be cut down in the back (B Pillar) side and also have different door hinges. Cutting them down is easy, its the door hinge problems that sucks with them. Tudor doors are the same width as 3w doors but the back of the window opening is of course very different. You can modify them to work on a 3 window if you are skilled. I dont remember if they have different door hinges though. Im pretty sure the 3w coupe's door hinges are different from every other body. ( not talking about the obvious top hinge )

3. yekoms

yekoms

34 5window and 4 door sedan doors are the same lenght. The top of the door above the window is higher on the sedan than the coupe. The window area is bigger in the sedans because the roof arch is long and higher. A sedan can be chopped to fit a coupe or since it sounds like you have coupe doors you could put the coupe tops on the sedan doors. If you want to take about 3 1/4" out of the roof and lay the windshield back I have pics of my 5 window when It was done if you need them.

4. Uptown83

Uptown83

I take it you have 5w doors, So you would just have to use those hinges on the fordor door and cut like 1/2 or so out of the window. My camera is dead or I would post pics of a fordor door and a 5w door.

5. Model40

Model40
    Member Emeritus
    from MA

Thanks all. I thought that there were differences but was unsure. The work to change them could be accomplished by someone with more skill than I have. But I guess it would depend on what a pair of 34 front doors without rust go for. If they were reasonable it could be worth a try.

The doors I have are good at the top and I have the bottom patches for the inside and outside. I also saw that Steves Auto Restoration makes full skins for both 3 and 5 W coupes from the reveal down for $500.00. I could use that on the passenger door and use the inner patch. This car will be my first attempt at body work. I have always farmed it out but the labor costs are so high now that if I want it done I will have to give it a go.

I bought a Miller 175 a while back and thought it would be ideal at the lowest setting with .023 wire. I will pick up some old junk door or hood and play with that first to see what I can do. I took classes at the vo-tech and I did surprise myself with the quality of my work.

Any pictures would be a great source of reference. Thanks again.

6. Model40

Model40
    Member Emeritus
    from MA

Also, I wouldn't chop the top as I am 6'4". But I do like the look with a couple of inches taken out of the roof.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Good fordor doors are expensive too. You would be best to just use the doors you have with patches, especially if you are inexperienced with fabricating. Messing with the hinges and the mini top chop on fordor doors would be a lot more work than a some patches on the bottom end. IMO

8. Model40

Model40
    Member Emeritus
    from MA

Alchemy, that is probably the case. If I mess up it isn't like I spent a lot of money for these anyway. Probably the worst thing would be warping them from too much heat. There are a few guys around here that would lend a hand if I asked. This is a project car for my spare time so it isn't a big rush.

I suppose that I could check around for coupe doors too. But I suspect that they are hard to find and pricy.

9. alchemy

alchemy

My bro recently bought an excellent front door for his fordor, and it cost almost what I would expect a five-window door to cost. I would think you have SOMEONE around who could give you some pointers on patch installation and welding technique.

10. Model40

Model40
    Member Emeritus
    from MA

If you don't mind me asking, what did the door go for?

11. rslong

rslong

Do you have 5 window or 3 window coupe doors?

12. rslong

rslong

oops way old post. Anyway how did it turn out?

13. adam401

adam401

Model40's status is Member Emeritus meaning he has passed away.