Register now to get rid of these ads!

i found a '57 Plymouth wagon....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by XxStrait-EdgexX, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Well I just called the owner and he apparently didnt make it out to the car today... he put it off to tuesday or wednesday :(.... Im starting to think Im gonna hafta offer him some more cash to motivate him a little bit.

2. He didnt make it out there AGAIN.... but he said he has to go out that way on business sunday so I should call then.:mad: Oh well, at least hes not hostile or pissed that I keep calling him and hes not telling me no and he says hes willing to sell it..... Ill just hafta be patient. :(

3. Hey now, The car isnt being advertised and I can tell by the way the guy talks to me that noones ever even asked him about it, thats why Im not worried... as for buying it, I will. The main reason its taking so long is that the owner wants to see it before he makes a decision on my offer, he said he wanted 1500 without seeing it for 5 years, SERIOUSLY!! I offered him 1000 for it because its got some slight rust issues and missing glass that Id like to get with what I save from the purchase price. Daydreaming??? Maybe, but as far as im concerned Im prepared to pay 1500 for it if it comes to that... Im just trying to sort out what Ive gotta do to the car before I get it because Ive been twiddling my thumbs for two weeks waiting for this guy.

4. Im doing what I can bro, I cant pester the guy anymore than I am lol

5. 73RR

73RR

What do you plan to do about a title? Oregon DMV is not exactly friendly on this subject. Since you seem to have free time during the lull, I strongly suggest that you go talk to 'them', or call the Salem office, but be prepared for the worst paper chase in your life if the guy selling the car is not the last registered owner. Been there, done that...

And if you buy it w/o a title, don't spend a dime on it until you have one.

6. Ive looked into that and I did some research on the dmv website and it seriously sounds simple... Ive got the necessary forms right here... they say you need a bill of sale with Actual Mileage, and fill out a couple forms for a lost title... then again, theres always a title service if the dmv is too much of a hassel.

7. Well I talked to the Oh-so-helpful folks at the DMV today, it turns out that if the guy I would be buying it from didnt ever have the car switched over, I will have to have the dmv run a search off the VIN # to find the last registered owner and have to get a signature from them.... HAHAHA, this car hasnt had anything done to it for 30 years paperwork wise.... what happens if hes dead??? what happens if he refuses signature??? What if he cant be found???

8. Fidget

Fidget

There was no title on my Packard. I went down to DMV, filled out the lost title papers, showed them my bill of sale. I had the title within a month. Just have as much documentation as possible. They might want a VIN inspection done on it to confirm the VIN, I've had them do that in the parking lot before. Go the cheap paperwork route before you try to go through a title service. It's not like you're going to be driving it right away anyhow.

9. thanks for the quick response fidget... I just got off the phone with the owner and he says that hes gonna sell it to me through a lean sale which he does all the time, he said its not an issue. So its back on track:D:D:D

10. RodStRace

RodStRace

That's a good bargaining point, so just keep on him and let him know that you have a lot of work to do due to his lack of getting the paperwork straight.

Normally, they require that you send a registered letter to the last owner on file. It can come back as signed off (fairly common if the owner is still there=good), or the guy can come back with wanting the car, which can be a big mess with prior sales and the past owner getting dragged in too. If the letter comes back as no longer there, talk to the DMV to see what your options are for them to get more current contact information (doubtful) or if you can file for an abandoned title (possible). If the owner on file is dead, they should be able to do the same also, but you are going to have to do some legwork. The DMV isn't cross-referenced to the Death files, so you may have to get a death certificate and even then they may give you a fight. I'd talk to a local DMV office before jumping, and ask for as much supporting paperwork as possible. Then I'd talk to a local business that handles DMV for you and see what they think, and how much it will cost. The current owner will probably rather just let it sit rather than go through all the hassle, so don't play it up too much, but try to get the price down to cover some of your time and effort.
    If you have a friend that has a used car dealership, repair shop or wrecking yard, they can help guide you through the process too. They all have to deal with skipped titles, missing paperwork and/or liens.

11. The owner has no problem doing the paperwork, he knows whats needed and he does this often, its his hobby... he also used to be a head dude in the courthouse... he knows his shit. He told me that he bought it in an estate sale and that its gonna be hard to get signatures fom a guy thats been dead for "100 years" lol

12. RodStRace

RodStRace

Sounds great! Let him handle the paperwork, as it's supposed to happen. Just make sure he does the whole thing, not hand you a stack of stuff and send you into the jaws of DMV! So much for talking him down tho...

13. Theres no way Ill just lay down and take a shit load of paperwork... as for talking him down, hes seriously considering my offer, so I cant complain.

14. You guysare probably sick of hearing me go back and forth about this, but the guy simply isnt going to budge from 1500..... so my dilemma is that I simply cant see paying 1500 for a car that needs glass, rust repair, and has a boat anchor for a motor..... yes its rare and I do really want it but DAMN!!!!! What do you guys think.... oh, and I also found a really solid 2 door 1950 lincoln cosmopolitain yesterday.......

15. Mojo

Mojo

If you're not in love with it, I wouldn't mess with it even if it was for free. You're looking at a lot of money and a lot of work. Maybe at best, you could try to flip it, but I think you'd be hard pressed to make any profit. Nice car, but like I say, love it or leave it.

16. $1500, ain't bad . 318 polys are easy to find ( Craigslist) Try the Forward Look Forum. It's a great website for this V. Exner cars . I bet you could find all the glass you need from some folks that part out alot of these cars.

17. 59ratgasser

59ratgasser
    from BFE,kansas

These 2 dr wagons are mega rare and the glass can be had. $1500 is a good buy.

Stogy likes this.
  18. George

George

He didn't buy it. Probably should lock it...

19. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Surely someone on here would love the contact info to buy that thing...

20. Tony

Tony

Exactly what i was thinking..

21. Well, it’s been 12 years since I first started this thread but I worked a deal and finally brought the wagon home this morning. I spent the last 8 hours cleaning out 62 years worth of floor pan and interior that’s turned to dust.

The first major thing on the agenda is inner rockers and floor braces, then floors.

Attached Files:

22. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Congratulations!!!!!

Stogy and Gotgas like this.
  23. 57Fury440

57Fury440

57 Plymouths are cool. I have mine since 1964. Good luck with it.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope you have the registration squared away, get it in your name...perhaps you already have as you don't want to invest 15k and can't register it...I'm very happy for you...;)

Cosmo49 likes this.
  25. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Congratulations! Did he come down to your $1,000 offer? :)

26. I love forward look mopars…Rad car.

27. No sir, I’m the past 12 years I’ve gotten a much higher paying job and due to “inflation” I had to pay $1000 more than what he was wanting in 2009. I’m not even worried about it though.

as for paperwork, all I was able to get was a bill of sale. He couldn’t find the title.

move spent the last few days taking stock of what I have, what’s good, and what needs to be cut out.

28. Squablow

Squablow

That's great. I just read through the whole thread, couldn't believe how cheap it seemed even for 2009, and then no resolution in the end. Now in 2021 the price seems dirt cheap, even if it was $2500 instead of $1500, and a very worthy car. Looks like you also got the Cosmo you'd mentioned back then too!

29. Didn’t get the lincoln, but that is the same one from back then. He had moved it out of the covered storage at the same time as the wagon.