Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 34 ford 3w made entirely from junk!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Dec 30, 2019.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

That is super cool. Thank you!, you even put the wheels on it that i want.

2. JimSibley

JimSibley

The reason for blue and grey is my deep love for the corsair fighter plane. Im not a theme car kind of guy, but i think this color fits my car.

Attached Files:

Blue One, tb33anda3rd, Stogy and 8 others like this.
  3. Jim, your talent for building hot rods from junk is nothing short of amazing and give the rest of us something to strive for. HRP

Blue One, R A Wrench, rpm56 and 6 others like this.
  4. JimSibley

JimSibley

Thanks. I may not be the best at anything, but i do enjoy making a little chicken salad!

Blue One, Stogy, rpm56 and 6 others like this.
  5. I like your thinking on the colour Jim.

but I see it in grey a dark simple grey with black chassis and the wheels you have picked .

make it look like a piece of machinery or equipment that’s purpose built to kick ass !!!

Or Blue, blue is nice, it’s your car, wtf do I know anyways !! Keep going man you build cars better and faster then I can build a sandwich!

Blue One, 427 sleeper and Thor1 like this.
  6. You asked to see a couple of other colors on the Photoshop thread so I thought I'd post them here as well... Any of your color choices look great on your outstanding project!!!!

Black.jpg Blue2.jpg OD.jpg

pitman, ClarkH, R A Wrench and 12 others like this.
  7. JimSibley

JimSibley

Thanks again. Now you got me thinking seriously about black. I mean everything looks better in black!,

Stogy, A Boner, themoose and 5 others like this.
  8. ".. ... can have a car painted any colour that he wants, so long as it is black."

- Henry Ford

**paint genius
    ( @themoose 's friend )

:)

9. JimSibley

JimSibley

Spent the day building a decklid. A real 34 decklid would fit, but i had some scrap aluminum and real decklids arent cheap. The 2 sheets of aluminum were not the same thickness or strength. The outer was left over from a set of cargo doors i made for an r.v while the inner was something i bought at a recycler.

Attached Files:

10. JimSibley

JimSibley

Made it with only a shrinker stretcher, finger brake and my punch press. It turned out nice.

Attached Files:

11. JimSibley

JimSibley

All that is left to do is weld the inner to the outer. I will do this after I build a hinge, so i can get it all to sit as good as possible.

Attached Files:

123pugsy, ClarkH, ottoman and 12 others like this.
  12. AmishMike

AmishMike

Wow - this build only gets better & better. Black looks great if perfect but that does not last if used & abused which any rod should be

13. Squablow

Squablow

I'm typically not fond of "themed" hotrods or military themed cars but I feel like this could work, especially because it's not green and/or covered in unnecessary rivets. Imagine this blue version but a few shades darker to match this picture, along with a hood treatment like the red roadster, and maybe a racing number on the door.

Blue2.jpg
    037A0BED-B00E-4BB2-A96E-161E1B0AD513_zps0mdjmuya.jpg
    8587D3B3-201B-452C-838C-78695A86955C.jpeg

I'm a hack with photoshop but I'll take a weak crack at it and see if I can get anywhere close.

Peanut 1959 and Thor1 like this.
  14. clem

clem

Bootlid looks good !
    Not that you asked, - Perhaps consider going with the darker blue that’s on the plane above…….(and gloss?)
    (A lot of black ones already out there).
    edit, it appears that @Squablow and I were typing at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    VANDENPLAS, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  15. Squablow

Squablow

I tried. My work is pretty hackneyed and I don't really like the number now that I see it, but it kinda works. Maybe even better with a stainless strip on the nose.

Blue2.jpg

set me on fire, VANDENPLAS and Thor1 like this.
  16. JimSibley

JimSibley

The checker board on the louvers seems like it might be doable, maybe even make them fade out twords the back. The dark blue needs to be exactly like the airplane. I am not wanting fake rivets, huge star graphics, or military bolt on crap at all! I am up for a tasteful piece of nose art, the checkers or anything else that is a piece that would be on a vintage hot rod, as well as on a plane.

VANDENPLAS, Stogy, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  17. Jim i love this car, my favorite part of it is the raw, badass, hot rod look. If you paint it, it'll blend in with every other coupe. I wouldn't change a thing!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. JimSibley

JimSibley

I really like it in raw steel, but i am not a fan of unfinished cars. I am planning on finishing the metal work and then getting the car running and driving in raw, but eventually it will need to be painted.

19. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a few more versions. Again, my skills aren't really up to the task, they only look half-good because I'm working from Moose's as a base. But here's one darker, and with the number more greyed out like the hood.

Blue3.jpg
    Then one without the stripe bars

Blue4.jpg
    And finally no numbers at all.

Blue5.jpg

I probably like the last one best.

20. JimSibley

JimSibley

I like it. Now i need to build it!

21. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Thanks, Moose, for doing the rendering and for sharing it on the build thread!

22. JimSibley

JimSibley

Yes moose, thanks so much, and thanks squablow.

23. JimSibley

JimSibley

This thread is getting pretty long. Im a short attention span kind of a guy, so i decided to do a collage of pics to show progress in a little slide show, so to soeak. E400DD54-6106-4460-8FDD-C451ABD898B6.jpeg 4C29A903-C712-4563-A8BD-D5F90E17C2F1.jpeg B5F2BBE3-6D47-4982-95D2-02A2CE96D7D5.jpeg

24. JimSibley

JimSibley

25. JimSibley

JimSibley

26. JimSibley

JimSibley

27. v8flat44

v8flat44

Now that there is the junk yard dog's bow-W O W. You could be called "the ice man" cause you sure built a COOL hot rod.

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Peace by Piece Man!!!...Stogy detects a removable top is actually old news around Jim's Hotrod Shop...

Is that the son's Hotrod Jim?

loudbang likes this.
  29. JimSibley

JimSibley

The removable top 3 window on the lift is a car i did 15 years ago. The kid actually has a 27 roadster that he is building. Big block, zoomies and a tunnel
    Ram. I will take a pic of it,when i get home. Its pretty darn cool
    For an 18 year olds hotrod.

30. JimSibley

JimSibley

Heres a pic of the kids project. He’s definitely a cartoon kinda kid.

Attached Files: