Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 61 gasser finally builds his 61 gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61gasser, Aug 16, 2021.

1. 61gasser

61gasser

I've owned this car for over 10 years, never having done too much with it. long story short, it's way too far gone to actually build a nice original car out of. So, im building a gasser out of it. now, before anybody starts talking any certain gasser Era, you should know, I don't care. I will be building this car out of what is available to me for the best price and whatever parts I like the most... and that's it! I'm sure some purists will roll over in their Graves, oh well. I was going to wait until the car was done to post anything, but I probably will need a few opinions along the way and I will for sure be needing a few more parts. Soo, here we go!

Attached Files:

2. 61gasser

61gasser

a little taste of what's going to happen!

Attached Files:

3. Your car do what you like / want with it

4. Love it man! Straight axles make everything better in my opinion. :cool:

5. squirrel

squirrel

now you're gonna make me regret selling my 61 belair hardop a few years ago. I was planning a 427, M21, etc. Have fun!

6. 61gasser

61gasser

step 1: remove body to fix frame 20210719_192357.jpg

Attached Files:

7. 61gasser

61gasser

check!

Attached Files:

8. 61gasser

61gasser

now the body is back on the frame and I'm moving on to metal work. alot of metal work! starting with what, in my opinion is the hardest/worst part. here is one place where I need a little help. anybody have a parts car? I will be fabricating floors, so I'm not worried about that, but this rear lip has me wondering what to do...

Attached Files:

9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Replace the frame, those rails are junk. What you can see is bad what you cant is also....

Deuces and Elcohaulic like this.
  10. Go for it man! A big block, four speed, and straight axle with that bitchen bubble top is a damn good start. Are you goin to try saving the paint, or is it to far gone?

Joe Travers and 61gasser like this.
  11. Here ya go my friend.... Screenshot_20210816-224823_Samsung Internet.jpg

Joe Travers, chevy57dude and 61gasser like this.
  12. 61gasser

61gasser

Too much rust everywhere, plus not original anyways.

13. 61gasser

61gasser

where is this from? could be a decent option! really hoping somebody has a decent parts car they could just cut this entire section from though. really appreciate the reply!

14. Muscle car central, it's in Richmond Ky not far from me. It's also "Camaro central" I'm building a 60 El Camino straight axle car, my floors are gone. The floor pan for my car is $799 plus $150 truck freight. I went to Camaro central and bought a complete one piece floor pan for a first gen for $339. I've gotta widen it a little, but It'll all be fine ;):D

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If your floor is toast, I would consider making a whole new straight rail perimeter frame. That would allow you to put crossmembers where you want them and run a one piece driveshaft. Then just build a floor from sheet stock to fit the new frame.

16. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kinda agree about the frame being roached. A buddy did some very similar repairs on a '62 Galaxie frame, but he added a 1-1/2"X 3" tubing perimeter frame from the rear end spring mount to just ahead of the firewall mounts...as insurance. It caused some minor floor issues but he was replacing the floors anyway. He's still driving the car 25 years later.

Guy Patterson and Deuces like this.
  17. If you're talking to me no thanks.

Budget36 likes this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

I was thinking he meant to use the sheet rock for a pattern.
    Well hoping anyways;)

Deuces and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  19. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

No, I was suggesting the OP make a whole new frame and then make a custom floor.

Deuces and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  20. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

This is the only fix I can see,,,,,
    keep it up!!!!!

21. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Reminds me of my late buddy's old 409 SS car, may he RIP. It had a wild Pachuco paint job.
    I dig that ride. Make it happen.

Joe

Deuces likes this.
  22. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

That will be killer. Gassers are very cool

23. 61gasser

61gasser

while I have the attention of a few, anybody ever have any issues running off open headers? and best/easiest wiring harness?

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  24. Just loud lol

25. I've used a cheap harness that i found on Amazon a couple of times, last one i put in my old wagon. Seemed good to me, labeled well, and it was $50ish

26. squirrel

squirrel

I run open headers at the drag strip. Quiet mufflers the rest of the time. You'll figure it out, I expect

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've never run open headers on my gassers. I always thought it was begging for a ticket. Friends have, and they have the tickets to prove it. I usually run all the way out the back, and cut into the side of my fenderwell header collectors to route my under the car exhaust system. Makes uncapping way easier.
    On my current car I ran the exhaust straight out of the collectors, and installed a Y pipe under the car to open the headers when I want to.

[​IMG]

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  28. 61gasser

61gasser

little progress over the weekend. never a lot of time to work on it, few hours here and there. plus, everything you see is handmade, I couldn't really find anything reasonable to buy and I'm as impatient as they come! left side yet to come...

Attached Files:

29. squirrel

squirrel