Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Need help identifying antique Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JRPatton, Aug 13, 2021.

1. JRPatton

JRPatton

I have a friend who has an antique Chevrolet she wants to identify the year and sell. I'm told it's a '27 or '28 Chevy. Casting number on the driver's side of the block is H 317. Stamping number on the lower rear of the passenger's side of the block is 3747351. there is a number stamped into the metal dash just to the left of the steering wheel that is 73781 A. There are also numbers on a metal plate attached to the firewall Job No. 7230 and Body No. S 33798. Does anyone have any information on what year car, etc this is? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and Dave Mc like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

28 chevy....

I don't remember where the list of job numbers is, to tell what body style it is, but a side view picture of the car will probably tell us.

edit: found the list if job numbers, it's a coupe.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    Deuces, kidcampbell71 and Dave Mc like this.
  3. That radiator shell tells me it's a 1927. JW

loudbang likes this.
  4. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

I think it's got a fairly early '27 engine in it.

5. JRPatton

JRPatton

Thanks to all! So the numbers don't mean much other than the numbers stamped into the dash should be the "vin"?
    JP

6. squirrel

squirrel

No, the number on the cowl has nothing to do with the vehicle identification number. That would be on a tag screwed to the floor, which is probably long gone. The number stamped on the engine was also used for registration purposes in many states.

The engine casting date in August means it could well be a 27, not a 28.

Deuces likes this.
  7. JRPatton

JRPatton

Ok. Are we talking about the same number? The one I'm referring to is stamped into the dash, just left of the steering column. Not the firewall plate. Thanks again JP

Attached Files:

8. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

The number stamped into the dash is not a factory stamping. I am guessing that it was a registration number, say after losing the title!??
    It is a lot easier to identify with more pictures (of more of the car).
    It is a 27: 1. it has a 27 aluminum radiator shell. 2. the hood and coul match the radiator. 3. it does not have front brakes. (I had to copy your one picture, blow it up, brighten it, to see no brake drum)

9. squirrel

squirrel

I didn't look that close, you're right about the year

10. JRPatton

JRPatton

This is all of the pictures that I have so far.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  11. JRPatton

JRPatton

Any ideas as to what it's worth?

12. Thats what Happen's when you Race a Ford.!

Lust my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Tickety Boo and Fortunateson like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

I got a 28 sort of like that a few years ago, but missing all of the body except the cowl and hood, and it was free. I was able to get it running and driving.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, the '28 had a different radiator shell with a "point" at top center. That's a '27 Chevy.

Deuces likes this.
  15. grumpy gaby 2

grumpy gaby 2

It depends on: where are you at, how many good parts there are, if you can find someone close that is doing a 27 coup needing those parts. Like the head lights they are worth some until you have a bullet hole, then not much. The bumper and bumperets are unusual aftermarket that could be desirable, unless they are homemade. Are the rims good? Are the fenders torn? Did it come from a rust state?
    I have picked several of these up in the past for $50 to $150.

16. JRPatton

JRPatton

[Q
    Ok Thanks!
    UOTE="grumpy gaby 2, post: 14163193, member: 341748"]It depends on: where are you at, how many good parts there are, if you can find someone close that is doing a 27 coup needing those parts. Like the head lights they are worth some until you have a bullet hole, then not much. The bumper and bumperets are unusual aftermarket that could be desirable, unless they are homemade. Are the rims good? Are the fenders torn? Did it come from a rust state?
    I have picked several of these up in the past for $50 to $150.[/QUOTE]

17. JRPatton

JRPatton

Located in Kansas

18. The shell is '27, and sounds like the engine is too. If the head has one exhaust port, it is probably '27 as well, but it if has two ports, it's a '28 head (worth more). Those accessory bumpers are nice- tried to find a set for my '27 a while back- if you are planning to part it out, I'd be interested in them... depending on where you are in the US :D