Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 50 ford car power steering help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyrox, Aug 9, 2021.

1. fiftyrox

fiftyrox
    from canada

Has anyone used a Borgeson 999062 power steering kit on a 1950 Ford car with a flathead engine?
    I have heard that by raising the engine by a half an inch and modifying the header that it will work. I am not using the original manifold but a pipe built header instead.
    I want to keep the flathead. Can anyone suggest any other solution other than a rack and pinion or the Volvo 140 standard or the 160 power steer.

2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's not the answer you are looking for but....

A tire and wheel combo equivalent to the stock 6.70-15s, a renewed steering gear and all the components greased and in spec works really well.
    With the car not moving, yeah it takes some effort to turn the wheel. If it's moving at all though, it's no problem to turn. Driving..... I have no issues with the manual steering.

The bottom line.....
    If you are running big fats meats under the front, try skinnier tires closer to what they had stock before you modify.

dana barlow and rusty valley like this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

And...its another thing to leak

dana barlow likes this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And keep the 17” steering wheel…it’s there for a reason.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Guys, he may have a legitimate reason.

I do. My left shoulder is ruined, and full of bone spurs. Without power steering, I cannot drive.

I can barely ride my motorcycles now.

My health care provider does not recommend replacement surgery until after age 65.

I'm 51.

jimmy six and dana barlow like this.
  6. nobby

nobby

in a 1950
    does the pitman arm point backwards

7. Get a 'necker knob', that was the solution 'back in the day'..... Those used to be quite common on that era cars.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. every time I take my ride out that is One thing that People ask me
    Where is the Power Steering & I show them my Arms
    If you have the right Tire size (small Tires ) in the front & Bigger Tires in the Rear
    That's your Power Steering.!

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I you really need it without replacing everything an electric assist cut into the column just above your feet is great option. It is work because on our old Ford the box and column need to come out. There are YouTubes of C1 Corvettes which are really tight and to me I would want it done by some who has done a few. Good luck..