Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Students 56

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Aug 7, 2021.

1. BC02F04D-305A-4894-B0CA-EAB163DE4B72.jpeg 3B8A93D8-C08E-410C-AAEA-28012317A3C4.jpeg 7AF499AB-71B1-41C3-9D56-6F2C82D56AD0.jpeg
    one of my former students just got his 56 on the road.
    4 speed, SBC, cuts a mean lick.
    Super happy for him.
    Pics from a show today. He’s going to send me some better ones.

OahuEli, verno30, Tman and 27 others like this.
  2. i7083

i7083
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you talk to him about a straight axle? :D

chevy57dude and anthony myrick like this.
  3. He thought about it

chevy57dude likes this.
  4. Nice 210, glad to see it on the road.

anthony myrick and loudbang like this.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s sweet. Good to see the younger generation into the vintage steel.

6. Always good to see a young guy that digs old cars.

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks great!

loudbang and anthony myrick like this.
  8. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Appears you taught him well. Nicely done.

9. SEAAIRE354

SEAAIRE354

Awesome! I love seeing young people that can do things mechanically. Keepup,the great work @anthonymyric. All of the industrial arts classes have been dropped in my neck of the woods and kids around here can’t change a light bulb.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Just perfect.
    Good job teach!!
    Straight axles are made for the strip.
    Anything else looks out of place and unsafe.

11. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work Anthony, sowing traditional seeds!

12. squirrel

squirrel

13. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

That is really cool!!

14. This kids dad has a small shop that caters to older. cars so I’ll have to give credit to his dad.
    The car was inspired by pics of a car one of his relatives had.

15. Sometimes it feels our school is barely surviving. But we’re hanging in there.

16. I while back I posted a question about the Lakewood roll bar. This was the car.
    No roll bar yet. He wasn’t sure on how the car was going to end up.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats to your former student. I'm sure his dad did have a hand in this but don't sell yourself short. Sounds like you are a major influence to your students. Need more of the same. Anything more on any of your students passing ASE certs? Or has this Covid lock down thing thrown a wrench (so to speak) in all of that?

18. Yes and no. I teach I-Car. They are partnered with ASE. I had 27 I-Car certs last year and 163 other industry certs.
    Because of so much online/virtual and lack of shop time, I used the pandemic to knock out as much curriculum as possible. Hopefully this year we get more shop time.

OahuEli, F-ONE, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  19. Big mike 1968

Big mike 1968

That's really great what your doing for this generation. I've always advocated for more funding for trades classes. I came from a time when people still saw the need to teach mechanics and welding. In a lot of places now trades people are looks down on and the kids are deprived of good hands on shop time. Keep up the good work and prepare the next generation. Thank you

20. That car pushes all the right buttons !!!

good on you, his dad and who ever else got this kid into and motivated to do something cool.

I can’t stress enough people advocating for the trades.

My high school shop teacher was a complete and total dink , had no passion for the trade or to influence young people into it, for him it was an “ easy pay cheque”. Drop print outs on the over head projector and prattle on and on about theory and other bs.

my older cousins, my dad and my uncles and friends older brothers is where I cough this “illness” lol.

im sure there where plenary of kids in my high school who had to listen to mr dink bore them to death who ran as far as they could from mechanics.

my wood shop and drafting/engineering teachers on the other hand where brilliant and awesome guys who kept us engaged and exited about what was gonna happen next.

your all golden in my books for what your doing .

F-ONE, Joe Travers, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  21. I appreciate that a lot.
    Honestly, I just love working on things. I can’t remember not working. I’ve never hated going to work. I know teachers you described, the ones always talking about how that can’t wait to retire. Those guys always have job security. The other ones that work after school, weekends, fund things with their own money ........ are the ones wondering when their class is going to be eliminated.
    But such is life. If I show up tomorrow amd the doors are shut, at least I know I tried and helped the ones I could.
    I was asked why I sometimes pull junk from scrapyards to fix. My professional life, for the most part, has been high end cars and the rusty, junk seems odd to lots of people. Most of my students are forgotten, problematic and even homeless. So my best guess is that the forgotten and neglected scrapyard finds are a metaphor.
    Last month I visited a student at work. This particular young man was legally homeless, dad was dead, his mom.....well, he met her for the first time when he was 18 and regrets it. Now he’s a certified Mercedes tech that specializes in exotics. Living his dream.
    There are lots of stories like his.
    If just one of those eventually gives back and helps the next group, then that’s all the “trophies” I’ll even need

OahuEli, F-ONE, Turnipseed and 18 others like this.
  22. I like it as is. It look like what a guy my dad's age (72) would have put together in about 65-69 as a teeageage/early 20s with a limted bugdet.

olscrounger and anthony myrick like this.
  23. This young man grew up with old rides working in his dads shop.
    Either his dad or grandad had a 56 post that was used for a lot of red light to red light fun.
    This is his other project
    85836B7D-53B4-49E9-967A-53E43326A59A.jpeg

OahuEli, F-ONE, Tman and 7 others like this.
  24. This particular student hated school. Now he works for the school system as a maintenance tech.
    Not a bad deal. He’s off by 3pm then works at him and his dads shop.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    OahuEli, F-ONE, Tman and 6 others like this.
  25. Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    F-ONE, Tman, badshifter and 3 others like this.
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great 56 but I think he needs a “go fund me” page for a front bumper and mounts. It’s insanity to drive today with all these impotant bozos on their phone not watching where they are going and don’t give s**t about your “old” car.

olscrounger and anthony myrick like this.
  27. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Where my son was going to school had a great tech school that had a industrial program that was for 4 years. In their great wisdom decided to shorten it to 2 years an make the young adults go over to the community college to get the certificates that they need for jobs. Pissed me off to no end as my son expressed interest in mechanic work but didn't want to go to the local 2 year college