Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ANY ONE EVER PAINT A BATTERY? - UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 6, 2021.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not until the bottle is empty.

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Word is they make great face coverings.

Bandit Billy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

:D I use a coat of Copper Shield on terminals/clamp. After jumper use just re smear. Painted over battery with acrylic enamel when I painted skid steer I rebuilt, just like the factory would have, hoses and all. Didn't like it so I painted it black, spray can, holding up fine.

VANDENPLAS and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. spanners

spanners

Just pretend it's a late model and do what everyone else does, don't open the hood.

bchctybob and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. Easy now, you're gonna upset hotrodjack lol

6. Danny. I wouldn't use an electric hair dryer around the battery. I knew a guy that looked into the cells of one with the light from a lighter. Didn't go well for him. Mitch

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    loudbang and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I agree with Danny, open the hood at night and that battery would glow in the dark.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. If I was a smart man I would find it, but I’m not. I’m also really lazy.

But there was a post a while ago a fella on here painted there battery and used Pop bottle caps or something to make it resemble an older 12 volt battery .
    Didn’t cost him much snd came out sweet if I remember right.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's been my experience, too.

seb fontana and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Danny, I've had great results on plastic (as well as metal) with Krylon Fusion. Has a great spray nozzle, flows excellent and weathers well in outdoors. Comes in a large variety of colors/sheens.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your damn right I'm pissed. There is no such thing as TOO MUCH green, Danny.
    32.jpg zx.jpg

williebill, Tim, HOTRODPRIMER and 2 others like this.
  12. I worked for a crook when I was 18, my 1st garage gig. He had me pull a battery out of a junk truck out back and charge it. Then he painted it black, let it dry. He sold it to a customer, I got to go out to her house and install it. I recall it was a Delco and he used whatever spray can black he had around.

13. hotrodjack33 likes this.
  14. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I painted my green Interstate battery with rust-oleum spray can bed liner, looks great.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Come on Jack, you should know that I like green, I just don't care for one item under the hood that sticks out like a sore thumb, but I don't dislike green.

But this -
    [​IMG]

Don't go with this in my world. HRP
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Lil32 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  16. I was able to use a hair dryer and remove the warranty information and date purchased sticker from the top of the battery and relocate it on the side of the battery facing the inner fender well.

100_3372.JPG

I taped it up and sprayed the top with Rustoleum black that is approved for plastic, it's drying and looks good. HRP

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Don't forget the pics...

HOTRODPRIMER and VANDENPLAS like this.
  18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I forgot about your old Deuce pickup...good colors. But, rather than removing the green battery top, it's a perfect opportunity to add MORE green to compliment it;):D

19. I wan'na be like the big kids.........
    So can I paint my plain ol' black battery with green paint?

Wait a minute....*...... I have a '50 Chevy truck. The battery is under a trapdoor on the passenger-side floorboard. Nobody knows what color the battery is, including me. :oops: :eek: :rolleyes:

20. You ain't right Jack! :rolleyes: I want the battery to blend in and not the the focal point when the hood is open. HRP

catdad49 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  21. I gave the paint plenty of time to cure, sitting outside in the sun did the job. I'm happy with the results. HRP

100_3374.JPG

22. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Looks good, you proved they can be painted, maybe this will help someone that has a battery with a red or yellow top that dislikes the look.

HOTRODPRIMER and hotrodjack33 like this.
  23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

We all know if you don't like the color it can be changed, I bought a off topic muscle car that looked great on the outside but under the hood was a mess, it had those stupid fake braided aluminum look hose covers with the red and blue anodized ends on the radiator hoses and the heater hoses, it also had those ugly ass yellow spark plug wires.

Removing those covers was ease enough but I didn't want to buy new spark plug wires, I did exactly what Danny did, I took them off cleaned and painted them black, what a improvement.

24. twenty8

twenty8

Battery ?..........What battery ???..........I can't see no stinkin' battery..........:confused::confused::confused:
    I'd say it turned out good.:)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Thank's, that what I had in mind, I wanted the battery to blend in and not stand out.

It's like white letter tires, I'm not being paid to advertise a brand of tire not advertise the green top battery, HRP

twenty8, catdad49 and bchctybob like this.
  26. Jim, I thought about this and call Earl, I told him what I was thinking, he said if I removed it and stuck it back on the side of the battery he wouldn't have a problem honoring the warranty should I have a failure. HRP

squirrel likes this.
  27. squirrel

squirrel

I haven't taken a battery in for warranty replacement for decades....but then, I buy the cheap ones, and they always last two years, and usually five.

28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You ask the goofiest shit…… sometimes. :D

29. Cob, coming from you I will consider that a compliment! :D HRP

It's the stupid questions that have some of the most surprising and interesting answers. Most people never think to ask the stupid questions.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
    TagMan, SR100, Papas32 and 2 others like this.
  30. catdad49

catdad49

The Only stupid ? Is the one Not asked!

dirty old man and HOTRODPRIMER like this.