Register now to get rid of these ads!

46 Chevy 3/4 ton brakes

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by KyleBern61, Aug 4, 2021.

1. KyleBern61

KyleBern61
    from Tulare, Ca

Needing some help with options to upgrade brakes on a 3/4 ton with 8 lug pattern. Brakes need to be all gone through and I’m hesitant to invest in the huck brakes it has. What is the best option to go 5 or 6 lug with bendix or disk brakes? Do I need to snag a 1/2 ton front axle and then take advantage of the upgrades available to the 1/2 ton trucks? I’m new to this and trying to get a plan together before spending any money. I plan on running this truck on the highway and want to be able to stop and go so I’m not white knuckling it every time I get out on the road. A95F4272-C4DD-46B2-AB0C-6EBBBAD317E3.jpeg

2. That truck is cool.
    No need for 5 or 6 lug.
    The Stove Bolt Forum has a lot of brake upgrade info not available here.
    Nostalgic Sids also has info for brake upgrades not mentioned here.
    It’s possible to upgrade and still keep the 8 lug.
    Flat bed trucks are cool. Larger trucks are cool. No need to think ya have to “downgrade” it to 1/2 ton

Dusty-NZ likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would find the whole brake setup off a (now I have to go check to see if 51 3/4 ton has Bendix brakes.) 51/53 3/4 ton and swap backing plate out.
    To go six lug you will need to swap front and rear axles to 1/2 ton and on the rear you will have to find a 55/59 rear axle. Then you have to deal with the driveshaft and rear U joint.
    1/2 ton pieces don't swap onto 3/4 ton spindles on the front so that means you would have to find a 51/54 1/2 ton axle assembly. Either is a lot o work to get away from the Huck Brakes.

On the 3/4 ton brake pieces with a bit of hunting you can probably find a 53/54 Chevy/GMC 3/4 ton chassis that some frame swap dude pulled the sheetmetal off for a friendly price. Most want more for what the spit and whittle club talked them into replacing it with for some reason but cash green money talks.
    it looks like 52 and earlier 3/4 ton still run Huck style brakes on 3/4 ton.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. KyleBern61

KyleBern61
    from Tulare, Ca

I hear ya, embrace what I have. I’ll continue to educate myself and move forward with working with what I have. Just started out on Stovebolt also so I know there’s a wealth of knowledge available to me from here and there..

Okie Pete likes this.

5. KyleBern61

KyleBern61
    from Tulare, Ca

Thanks for the info. I’ll start keeping an eye out for parts I can use. Looks like sticking with the 8 lug will keep it simple..

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assuming has burned my butt a couple of times today so I spent time checking on Chevs of the 40s, The filling station and Rock auto to confirm exactly what year the 3/4 tons changed to Bendix from Huck and that was 53. 1/2 ton changed in 51.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

I don't know anything about Chevy 8 lug stuff but maybe the Ford F250 Bendix 8 lug set-up could be adaptable, they both have the 8 x 6.5" pattern.

8. It’s not using what you got.
    Your 3/4 ton truck is already cool.
    Making it a 1/2 ton is backing up in my opinion. My kids ton flatbed gets as much attention and “is it for sale” as the “normal” trucks at the cruise ins.