Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Enlighten me about ozone, please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by '28phonebooth, Aug 2, 2021.

1. There are a couple of threads about cleaning barn finds and getting rid of rodent odors, but I didn't want to derail them, so I'll ask here...
    I have seen many recommendations about using an ozone generator to remove all types of odors (used in smoke damage mitigation, etc. in buildings all the time), but something in the back of my alleged mind tells me I have seen references in the past about ozone destroying rubber. That would apply to weather stripping, gaskets, etc. Are my braincells running amuck or is that a fact? Does anyone on here have knowledge/experience on this subject?

2. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

'28phonebooth and loudbang like this.

3. Thanks, I appreciate the reply. The only thing I question is the last paragraph which states that it is used in many health applications. Everything I've seen says turn it on and get the hell out of Dodge.

4. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Too much oxygen will kill, ozone has 3 oxygen molecules

5. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

An extremely small % ratio is very helpful & beneficial. We're talking in the very low parts/million here. That "clean, fresh, scent" you smell after a lightning storm? Ozone. Has a kinda "cold winter day" smell to it. Electric motors running create ozone. Ozone will kill rubber, plastics, organic materials, &afaik, viruses n bacteria too - including you & pets - if the concentration is too high, &/or too long a time period. Can have a burned or decomposed smell. No, I can't give you an exact #, there isn't one. It's one of those "depends" deals. Exposure of "stuff - not you", to high level doses for a short time is rarely harmful, but never say never. It'll drop particulates like smoke & dust out of the air quickly. It'll kill mold where it can reach it, but not iffen the mold has gone into the substance, (think plastics, wood, etc), deep enough that the ozone can't/won't penetrate that far.
    It works by losing one of the Oxygen molecules ( O3-> O2 + O1) when it bonds w/another thing. AKA: oxidation. Hydrogen Peroxide is similar, although in liquid form (H2O2 -> H2O + O1). BTW; It makes the woodstove fire brighten up considerably, resulting in more heat output, although caution & full attention is needed if doing this. It also will help if you duct it in the appropriate amounts into your engine, but that is for a different forum. ;( , :D . It works well, but nothing is perfect & suitable for everything. I happen to like it.
    Marcus...

6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

This is the very reason why you shouldn't store tires in the shop you weld in...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. ..........or next to any electric motor, like in the basement next to the furnace or indoor air handler.

8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

A open door, fan, (or do it outside on the pad/yard) .... dust mask, shop vac, (a whisk broom and rags will work) soap and water. This is all you need.

Seats that stink..... clean them and set them out in the hot sun for days.....

There’s no magic bullet.

9. those restoration companies like Paul Davis and Servpro have Ozone rooms where they put furniture etc for cleaning. They can clean almost anything you have safely except the whole car:rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The local detailing guy said if he uses a deodorizing machine in a car to long. It will have a burnt smell to it.

11. Joe H

Joe H

I bought a used 03 Toyota that previous owner smoked in, it was ozoned three times and never did get all the smell out. 20 years later I can still smell smoke if the interior is shut up and gets hot.