Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Is my DANA 44 A "Limited Slip"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1Nimrod, Aug 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

“Dana 44”’s can be confusing, at least in the old Ford’s before the 9” came out. They’ve been used in all kinds of vehicles, including Jags and Vipers. Good tough gear sets. But it seems everyone used a different combination of axles, housings , etc. Some versions can be tough to get parts for, and it’s a pain to work on them under the car, or pull the whole works to put it on the bench. I’ve got no clue what version/combination was used in a GM truck, but I’d figure it all out before I got in too deep. Not being able to get drums being one concern.

Randy’ Worldwide (used to be Randy’s ring and pinion) is local to me and seem to be very knowledgeable about the Jeep and truck applications. They’ve been good to work with for me on 3 gear sets and the limited slip units. It seems like you’re sure on the ratio, but they may be helpful on bearings, etc in your application. A $450 buy in could nickel and dime you real quick for rebuild parts. If you can’t do the set up, labor cost could be worse.

https://www.randysworldwide.com/rin...4VKcHlelf3A1wHnhL15kRxSXxfTmE0ZBoCw-oQAvD_BwE

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

I seen a message on the HAMB from years ago I think around 2007 or 20?? about someone doing the same as you making rear break drums by doing what you have described.
    Thank you for your help.

1Nimrod
    (Dustin)

3. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Thank you Marcus, Mr. Squirrel and TTT as well as everyone else. I have much to think about and I'm just on the fence post trying to keep my balance for now and before I jump off to either side I figure each will cost me one more then the other but one could be a great buy if nothing is lose or bad inside, the other is straight and forward Big $$... But it will be all my parts on the outside a sure fit and all new everything on the inside but like I said Big $$...
    Oh yeah the Hot Rod life it's sooo Cool and sooo Fun, But those sweet old Hot Rod's eat up lots of your time and money, But man I enjoy the knuckle busters and the late night's working on them and anticipating the first turn of the key to here it come to life and nothing smells better than 110 running through the veins of one's Hot Rod...
    It's great sooo great...
    Thank You all...

1Nimrod
    (Dustin)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  4. Stueeee

Stueeee
    from Kent, UK

[QUOTE="1Nimrod, post: 14147513, member: 330152"
    (PS- The Dana 44 could also be a 19 spline in the 65 GMC Trucks I'm not sure what year the Dana 44 went to the 30 splines?)

1Nimrod
    (Dustin)[/QUOTE]

I don't know the date when they changed, but the 2 Dana 44 rear ends I've rebuilt here which came from '63 GMC 1/2 ton trucks were both 30 spline.

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

I don't know the date when they changed, but the 2 Dana 44 rear ends I've rebuilt here which came from '63 GMC 1/2 ton trucks were both 30 spline.[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for your help...
    I was going by what a Dana site said on the internet. They had said it was in the mid 1960's but wasn't sure of the actual year.
    Thank you all once again for all the help and support...

1Nimrod
    (Dustin)

6. squirrel

squirrel

the ring gear has a January 1964 date code

TrailerTrashToo and 1Nimrod like this.