Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM Starter Brushes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Jul 30, 2021.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

My starter was becoming inconsistent. I must have pulled 100 Chevy starters in my life but I guess the oldest was my '58 Impala, because after crawling under there with a 9/16 socket, extension and ratchet, realized it's not held on that way!

So anyway, looks like the typical flip the solenoid washer deal, but the brushes are pretty well worn. I'm seeing many different listings for years and models, are all brushes of this shape the same?
    dasf.JPG
    20210730_115744.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

55-70 or so they're all the same, according to the Chevy parts book (I only looked in the older books, they might go later). The earlier 6v starters use a different brush.

blowby likes this.
  3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not for certain, but I think they were the same all the way up to the mid 90's when they switched to the gear reduction starter's in everything.

blowby likes this.
  4. between 1955 and 1985 there were 2 common sizes. past that, and for some odd stuff there was more part numbers. I guess the answer to your question is no, they're not all the same. '75 and older are all the same according to the listing I just looked at.

blowby and squirrel like this.

5. squirrel

squirrel

rock auto says the RX60 brushes fit chevys from 1941-1995.

There were some different ones in later years, so measure....1/4" thick, 3/4" wide

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

RX60 ordered. Thanks guys!

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Isn't it great to be able to clean up the commutator and install new brushes all for less than probably $10.00 and you're back on the road!

X-cpe likes this.
  8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I was surprised how good the commutator looked, really not worn much at all. The brushes, you may recall, swing on pins, a pin for each pair of brushes. One brush on each pin was worn more than the other. Not much more, but if all four were even I'd have probably skipped it. Wonder why, I'll pay attention to the spring pressure when I reassemble.

Yeah, under 10 bucks delivered.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I expect it has to do with which way the armature rotates.....and the loading on the brushes being a function of where the pivot pin is, relative to the brush and the rotation direction.

If they're worn out, they need to be replaced. If they're not worn out, you could leave them, or replace them.

Check the bushings for wear, too.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say it has more to do with spring tension. I think that is the same starter as I have for my Truck bellhousing for my 48. I think I have rebuilt that one twice since 1989.
    O'Reilly's shows the brushes Standard ign RX 60
    Plus the bushings
    STD X4349 for the drive end. Opps it was pointed out that I had a typo on the drive end bushing and that it is X4349 that I have confirmed.
    either X5405
    inside Diameter (in): 9/16 Inch
    Outside Diameter (in): 11/16 Inch
    Length (in): 13/16 Inch
    or
    X4378
    Inside Diameter (in): 9/16 Inch
    Outside Diameter (in): 5/8 Inch
    Length (in): 11/16 Inch

I honestly didn't know that they had 2 different OD on the commutator end. I've probably rebuilt 100 Delco starters over the years and that is new to me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  11. I would replace the stater drive when if I were going that far.

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'll have a look at which side of the pin the worn brushes are on but away for the weekend.

Thinking about how and why they changed the mounting and solenoid. This seems stronger than the two vertical bolt mounting but does not allow for easy shimming. The newer style also encloses the solenoid linkage eliminating the rubber boot, which I have also ordered.

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Got the new brushes in today. As you can see from the old ones, the two worn brushes are on the same side of their pivots, whatever that means.

Thanks again for the help.

20210809_120331[1].jpg 20210809_124034[1].jpg

squirrel likes this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I read somewhere, "undercutting" the mica segments is a generator thing, and doesn't apply (or isn't needed) on starters. Cleaning the commutator, yes. I would assume sanding the brushes so they conform to the shape of the commutator is a thing too.

When you're all done, you can measure the current draw of the whole shootin' match during engine crank. I think defective starters can cause more trouble than people realize, because they hog all the battery current at the exact point it's needed for a good hot spark at the plugs.

jaracer likes this.