Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tims54, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Tims54

Tims54
    from Arleta, CA

So ever since I bought my 54 Chevy I’ve had this issue with the glove box where it won’t close flush and I’ve tried everything I could think of to fix it. When I replaced the liner I removed the arms to check for bends and nothing. Made sure it was tight, nothing. Unscrewed the actual box lid, nothing. Anyone have this issue and know what I can do?

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I see the latch inside the door is missing a screw. It is the one on the left side of the latch. I would suspect that may be your first problem. The door drops on the left and the screw is missing on the left. Get another screw in there and then see what happens.

3. Tims54

Tims54
    from Arleta, CA

Wow I didn’t even notice that. Imma try it out tonight after work and if it works, I’m going to feel like such a jackass lol. Thank you!!

4. Jokester

Jokester

IMMA??????????

loudbang and Stogy like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It should be " I'ma gonna' try " don'tcha know...;)

brady1929, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve worked for hours on this. Good thing it’s not as bad looking down. AD7E47F7-E653-4148-95A4-10164CFEB4E1.jpeg

loudbang, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

common on 40 fords too--takes a bit of adjusting and shimming hinge to get it right

8. One thing to remember is these cars did not line up perfectly from the factory.

shims, fender washers , and casual bending and tweaking are all your friends when trying to get lines to, well, line up.

Sooooo , 29F2DD93-1FB7-455B-AC2E-42678DA538D1.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021
    loudbang, Tims54 and Stogy like this.
  9. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there no adjustment where the hinge either affixes to the dash or the hinge to the lid? Can't remember on the 38 but the Hawk dash has some adjustment in the hinge..maybe you tried that already??

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

the latch only requires one screw, guys.

The door is probably bent, eh?

Stogy, 03GMCSonoma, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Striker plate adjustment how ever means needed.

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  12. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

The problem here is quite simple. On the inside of the glove box door there are these round indentures that act as cup holders. The doors were designed to hold up to a 12 ounce paper cup filled with your favor beverage. The problem came to the surface when people were placing their 20 once glass bottles on the round indentures of the glove box door. This extra weight would cause undo stress on the glove box door hinge causing it to tilt to one side. There is not a cure for this problem, you will just have to live with it or install larger rubber glove door bumpers on one side. In some of the most extreme cases of this issue is when the glove box door refuses to stay close. Teenagers have reported that the glove box door will pop open when their Mom is riding shotgun, spilling their Trojan Double Ecstasy condoms onto their Mom's lap. In summary, "we all have are problems".