Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1950 Mercury dash and window trim

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Leadslingingmerc, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Leadslingingmerc

Leadslingingmerc

First, does any know what the dash is made of, I haven't gotten mine out yet. Is chrome plated steel, stainless, or chrome plated pot metal. Trying to figure out how to bring that shine back.

Next, how in the world does the window trim come off. Most of the other Tim I have messed with comes of fairly easy. I am trying not to bend and dent it all to pieces.

Thanks!

2. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hi Leadslinger,
    Which dash trim? If it has small pits in it then it is pot metal.

which window trim?

3. Rusty J

Rusty J

If you're referring to the gauge cluster chrome part - it's pot metal (at least on the Canadian version). The best way I've found to clean up grubby chrome is to use a piece of aluminum foil dipped in water and scrub. Another alternative is try never dull (dark blue tin) While you're at it - the clear plastic lenses can be polished up with almost any paste metal polish and some finger scrubbing.
    Usually I let the parts soak in my bath tub with dish soap (get some of those rubber no slip bath mats for the tub first-- saves the explaining why the tub has these weird scuff/scrape marks all over... :) and give a good scrub with a stiff bristle brush. It's amazing how dirty these parts can get. Of course this is assuming you remove parts to clean first.

4. Squablow

Squablow

The dash bezel is die cast. Buffing compound works well for polishing chrome like that. The windshield stainless trim on the outside (assuming that's what you're talking about) goes on like pinch molding if I remember correctly, and you have to have the windshield and rubber out to get it off without wrecking it.

5. Which Glass are you talking about, the Door Glass or Windshield Glass Moulding.??
    And a Picture is Worth A lot.!

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool