Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Custom steering wheel for merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsman41, Jul 23, 2021.

1. oldsman41

oldsman41

Looking at new steering wheels for the 51 merc. Don’t have power steering so I’m wondering how it will steer going from a 18 inch to 15 inch wheel.feedback appreciated. Also has anyone ever put a semi truck steering wheel on their car semis mostly have 18 inch steering wheels but don’t know if they will bolt up. I have aftermarket column to the merc box now.

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you are young and stout, not a big deal, I had one of those smaller chrome steering wheels on my 38 back in the 70's and 80's with the org steering box (which was loose) and it was "ok", now with rack and pinion steering and a 40 Pontiac wheel it's still tough parking but I am a lot older now too:) I'd really encourage you to stay with the larger wheel....but you may have better arms than me:)

3. oldsman41

oldsman41

Just turned 74 I feel like I’m 20 but know better.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. I put a smaller wheel in my '50 Dodge and it was harder to park but still doable. It was a lot more comfortable without the large steering wheel in my lap and in my "line of sight".

5. Squablow

Squablow

What tires are you running on the front? Radial tires are much harder to turn at slow speeds, especially if they're wide. Bias ply tires are much easier to turn at slow speeds without power steering, especially if they're narrow. Reducing the diameter of the wheel while running modern radials is going to make parking very difficult.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have a 17" steering wheel on my car. It came off a "58 to "60 Impala. Looks good,traditional, and big.

7. oldsman41

oldsman41

Running radials on the car 205 75 15. Yes I have been looking at the impala steering wheels. In the merc the original wheel looked ok could see over it but it did sit in my lap.

8. You could always Move the Seat Back a Notch & you will have more Room
    I am Running Radials on mt Merc. & air in Tires are 35 & it Steers Great
    and Park Great! & I is a little bit Older than you.!
    Now Do you remember the Old Adage Respect your Elders
    and believe What they Say.!

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die A Fool

Elcohaulic likes this.
  9. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah just seeing what others have done helps.