Register now to get rid of these ads!

Saddle Up A '53 AD Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53Heavy, Aug 11, 2006.

1. 53Heavy

53Heavy

I've read that it is possible to install a '65 Chevy pickup front IFS saddle onto an 48-54 AD Chevy pickup.

For those who have done it....is it possible to install the saddle with the engine still in the truck:confused: . I don't want to have to pull the engine. I have a 350 already installed in the truck and I have the stock straight axle front end, minus some leafs. Therefore I know that I wouldn't have to use the engine mounts on the saddle. I'm just not sure I can get the bolts in as these units bolt to the frame.

I also know that the saddle is a little wide...will need spacers and different rims to stay in the wells.

Anyone?

53Heavy

2. 53chevy

53chevy

Yes! It's too damn wide. I have a late 60 something and I had to narrow my a-arms. It took four time to get em' right along with extra's for this process. just my 2 cents. Ohh yes the sadle is wide too, about 1/16' each side, so you need plates to compensate or narrow the saddle/cross member.

3. dchapmansr

dchapmansr
    from Katy, TX

You have to pull the motor, the engine mounts are on the crossmember and the member you now have to mount the engine most likely will be in the way. the 65 motor mounts are also frame braces.

Even with offset rims from a chevy van the tires still will stick out an inch.

4. 53Heavy

53Heavy

Ok, bad idea....just thought I could use parts I had laying around. Better to do it the right way instead of having to do it again later.