Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any Federal Siren Experts in the garage?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Blacktop-Ranger, Jul 22, 2021.

1. I am converting my 1955 police car to 12 volt. It has a 6volt mechanical siren on the roof and I realllllyyy dont want to lose functionality to it. Also I cant get the light to work. Any fed siren experts around. Worst case I will just have an accessory 6volt battery in the trunk that I charge when needed.

Truck64 likes this.
  2. They make 12 volt to 6 volt reducers.

3. jaracer

jaracer

Is this the siren that uses a Ford starter motor? If so, I don't think the voltage increase will really hurt it. It just might change the way the siren winds up.

Blacktop-Ranger likes this.
  4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 6 volt siren (don’t remember the make) on 12 volts. It got really loud really fast. You couldn’t stand it long enough to burn it up.

Blacktop-Ranger and trikejunkie like this.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My only experience with Federal Sirens is, them wailing behind me while I'm trying to get away:eek:...but I'm sure that when I was old enough to be pursued, they were 12 volt by then.;)

6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Blacktop-Ranger
    Go to sirenman.com
    Joe Dorgan took over for his father John Dorgan after he passed away, this is where you go to get what you need for the older firetrucks and police cars and ambulances when it comes to all of the sirens and lights and all accessories for your service vehicle.
    " Money has no value unless its spent "

And you are very welcome !
    Dennis.

DC-3 & me (2).jpg

7. Thanks guys!

Truck64 likes this.