Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 generator pulley alignment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim38, Jul 18, 2021.

1. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

View attachment 5119812 Went on a cruise to a parade a town over from me. On the way back while pulling into town I noticed the temp going up slowly. I made it home fine but it threw the belt off. I never liked the way the belt looked and had plans of replacing it already. All the pulleys align good. The issue is the fins on the generator pulley tilt away from the generator and slightly rubs on the belt edge. The one that was on it was 3/8. I noticed when we arrived to parade the belt had flipped. I fixed it but then it threw it off later. I found a 1/2 inch one and figured I'd try it out. It sets great in the pulleys but rubs on the generator fins. They didn't have a 5/8 in stock but I'm wondering if it'll do the same. What are my options? Narrower belt? Different pulley? Different generator? And no I'm not going 12v and alternator. 20210718_162037.jpg 20210718_161841.jpg

2. Budget36

Budget36

From my eye, those fins don’t look flush, looks that they project themselves towards the pully, might just be a pic thing?

loudbang, slim38 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. I'd say tap the fins back. The generator on my 235 has the back edge on the fins more parallel with the case of the generator.

loudbang, olscrounger, slim38 and 3 others like this.
  4. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

That adjustment bolt and nut is wrong. There should only be a bolt that threads into the generator from the back of adj, arm. Threads are probably stripped out in the generator and this was a quick fix that required bending the fins forward to clear the bolt. Install a 5/16" coarse thread heli-coil in the generator. replace bolt with a shorter one and bend the fins back, buy correct belt.

loudbang, Hnstray, AVater and 2 others like this.

5. D1E1A0D9-3483-4DD8-9656-0A480BF9B0C5.jpeg 48B32D19-9630-4CAB-BAD8-B79F03C87088.jpeg Your pulley looks worn, it’s highly polished on the floor of the pulley

spec the correct belt, 235’s have a skinny and fat belt . I don’t remember off hand what the specs ate.

And the fan fins are bent out
    Should be straight not curved out like they are

slim38 likes this.
  6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Eddie shoots and scores. ^^^^ This is the correct answer^^^^

7. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Thanks guys. I think hitting the fins back a bit may help. I'll try it. I'll also look into a new pulley since it does look worn. I'll keep yall updated .

8. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

That’s not the right fan for that generator.
    The fins stick out past the diameter of the drive end frame. That’s why they bent the fins up to clear the adjusting bolt. The fan needs to be a smaller diameter. Give me a call at the shop or email through the website and I’ll get you a proper fan.

loudbang, Truck64 and slim38 like this.
  9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The adjustment bolt shouldn't be anywhere close enough to the fan blade's to cause interference, through bolted or not. Look's like an over-rev situation. Pound the blade's back and watch the rpm's. Now that they have bent they will bend easier,(Lower rpm's)the next time.

10. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I think @e1956v is right. I went out and looked at it and if I bend the blades back it'll hit the generator body. It won't interfere with the bolt though.

11. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

@VANDENPLAS will appreciate this I think it’s a Mopar( Autolite) fan on a Delco generator.

loudbang and slim38 like this.
  12. :rolleyes: It’s always a Dodge !!! Lol

if I remember right Dodge had a fan that was “part “ of the pulley, kind of like a modern alternator cooling fan , hope I’m explaining this right.

And yes your right kind of an oversized stamped fan like the OP is showing, basically it was the same diameter as the dodge generator .

You might be correct in this being a mish mash of parts from a previous rebuild .

It’s always a damn Dodge !! Lol

slim38 and e1956v like this.
  13. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

TrailerTrashToo and HotRodWorks like this.