Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 5000 mile road trip in a hot rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marc Henry, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I am guessing you now need a rambler for a road trip. :)

loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

been looking for one, actually

3. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The thing I'm most curious about is who is the girlfriend?

loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That's annoying!

squirrel likes this.
  5. Rand Man

Rand Man

What kind of suspension and seating do you have? If you find out the ride sucks after the first 1000 miles, that can take the fun out of the rest of the trip.

loudbang, Lil32 and squirrel like this.
  6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I am a retired driver and most of my miles are with paper maps (love them). Now with gps I still use a road atlas, it gives you the bigger picture and my kids love to poke fun of me for it.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the end of May I flew back to Philadelphia to attend an Army buddy's funeral in NJ.. At one time I lived outside of Philadelphia so I used to know the area somewhat. But haven't been there in 25 years and things have changed big time. I had to find my hotel, the funeral home, and the VA cemetery by using my phone GPS. And I had to avoid the turnpike and bridge tolls or the rental car company would have added a surcharge on top of the turnpike/bridge tolls. I didn't have a map and if the GPS had failed when I was leaving the VA cemetery to return to the airport I would have had no idea where I was or how to get to the airport. I would have missed my flight for sure. Note to self, next time bring a map. They don't have to recalculate or redirect.

loudbang and Truck64 like this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

It ain't an all or nothing deal. I like and use the latest technology, but only an idiot wouldn't keep maps as emergency backup. The 'net goes TU even temporarily or something like that, a lot of people are screwed.

loudbang and 51504bat like this.
  9. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Vintage marina Compass Squirrel?
    I like the Big Trucker Maps , Its been 15 years since last up dated one I Purchased ,the bad thing about older maps roads changed.
    I drove across parts of old 66 pretty neat & scenic ,some like ghost towns & forgotten about.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Truck64, loudbang and squirrel like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

And GPS can get you killed too though, "Death by GPS" is an actual thing. People blindly follow what it is telling them, even if it is an old logging road that hasn't been maintained in decades.

loudbang likes this.
  11. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

ju

12. nosnhojguy

nosnhojguy

Just did 3500 miles on 66 with 69 Camaro convert stock 307 and powerglide and had a blast. Wife and I and another couple had planned it for last year but no dice. Prepare for any weather and don't plan stops just wing it.

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Tool kit of course. And a compact floor jack, and a space saver spare from the wrecking yard too. A gallon jug of water is always good, but so are a couple quarts of oil, and a couple of tranny fluid, just in case. Have the stuff and you'll likely not need it.
    I love road trips, and especially if it's in a hotrod! I don't have AC, and it can be uncomfortable at times. But I'm OK with not having it, as it's just not something I wanted to add to my old cars. Rarely need it here in the PNW until this long, hot summer!

loudbang likes this.