Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford 289/302 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seadog, Jul 11, 2021.

1. Crazy Steve, you are The Man when it comes to Fords! I felt like I knew quite a bit about Small Fords, but you have taught me plenty! Thank you so much. I’m a Ford Man, but all of my hot rodding has been done with Small Block Chevrolets. Please keep teaching us.

loudbang, Thor1 and Deuces like this.
  2. perry parsons

perry parsons

I recently installed a 86 roller block reverted to carb in a 29 Model A , Using a T5 . One problem I did come up with besides pulleys and belts was the shim between block and gearbox. the section of shim around starter is misaligned.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  3. finn

finn

Joe, there was never a “gap in production “ on the 302. It was introduced in 1968, and continued in one form or another, with many upgrades and modifications, through the end of production (last used in the Ford Explorer, if my memory is correct), when the 4.6 was phased in gradually on the various vehicle platforms over several model years.

Installation in the Mustang was interrupted in 1974 and again in the early 80s (prior to 1982 when it was resurrected in the Mustang), but was still in high volume production in the large passenger cars, pickups, Broncos, and vans all those years.

Deuces, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  4. tjm73

tjm73

Not totally correct. ALL 302 blocks cast after about 1986 can support roller lifters even if they didn't come with roller lifters. All the blocks had taller lifter bores at that point. You may need to drill/tap the spider retainer but all can accept the roller lifters if you want them.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  5. I recently upgraded my 40 Ford pickup from a sbc to a Ford 302. It's a roller engine out of a 95 tbird and uses the old firing order.
    Made my own engine mounts that bolt on to the front of heads. Used the fan blade off of the sbc.
    50oz flywheel, used a Professional Products 50oz balancer that is drilled for both 3 bolt and 4 bolt crankshaft pulleys.
    I didn't want to change the Walker radiator so I used a 1969 water pump so it would be on the right hand side to fit the sbc radiator. Used spectre 2 groove pulleys for the crankshaft and water pump. Run a electric fuel pump. Used a 6 qt rear sump 90's ford van oil pan. Found a set of rear exit headers and swapped them from left to right and have no starter clearance problems and the left side is no where close to the steering box. The sbc header set right on top of the steering box. I did a write up on the installation in the #48 issue of Rodding USA. 013 (2).JPG 014 (2).JPG
    075.jpg

6. Wasn't there a 255 (?) cu inch used in like 85-86 range? Looks like a 302, but is not desirable. You Ford experts can fill in details....

7. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I think....79-81

8. Deuces

Deuces

That motor was a dog.....:(

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

There was a 255 Indy engine that ran pretty good.

Deuces likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

It looked good to.....:):cool:

loudbang likes this.