Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1942 Flathead unusual pully removal?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aaron D., Jul 6, 2021.

1. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I bought a 42 flathead at a yard sale. The motor was used as a water pump for the Seattle shipyards during the war. The guy still had the pump and the control panel. I took chance on it for $80. The motor came apart easily and looked great inside, but the pan rails are cracked. Anyway, I'm trying to remove the crank pully and have never seen this type before. Anybody have any experience with this? I tried putting a wrench on the hex area and breaking it loose, but no luck.
    IMG_1965[1].JPG

2. alchemy

alchemy

I'd bet that front worm drive is either screwed into an internal thread in the main bolt, or part of the main bolt. Putting a wrench on the hex of the main bolt in the end of the crank should do it either way. If you are spinning the whole rotating assembly, you need to jam something into one of the ring gear teeth to hold it still.

Fill the block with block rock, bore it to an inch of it's life, and you'd have a great early dragster engine.

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

That is an odd pulley, sorry cant help you there. But...pan rail cracks that are parallel to the edge, like bolt hole to bolt hole are usually from a freeze when the block was drained in good faith, but in reality there is enough rust and mud in the bottom to hold moisture and freeze. Those can be stitched successfully, where as if the crack goes across the pan rail and up the sides of the block...she's a gonner

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Ya it's to bad the block is cracked, it is what I believe to be the 99A block, a 42 Merc. The crack is on the inside of the forward crank valley area and extends up and over the pan mount surface. Both sides are cracked. I was really bummed when I saw it because the rest of the motor looked excellent. The only number on the hour meter on the control panel that you could read was a 6 in the hundreds place, so it had at least 600 hours on it. Stock bore.

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Wonder if it is left hand threaded. This would keep it from loosening with engine rotation.

seb fontana likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Standard Ford is righty-tighty. I don't think they would make an engine that turns the other direction just for some pumps.

6319-crankpulleybolts.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

If its a 42 Merc, it will have 29A on the heads for one thing

8. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

@chevyfordman Yes, it does have 29A heads and the Merc 239 bore. Also the raised area below the intake.

9. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Sounds great, should have a crab distributor, no 59 number on bell housing, a unique drivers side exhaust manifold, does it have the double belt system? What carb does it have? There were only 1902 of those built so there are not a lot of them floating around. It was probably painted green too instead of blue. I'm really tickled for you.

10. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Yes, crab distributor and no 59 on the bell housing. Carb is a Ford 94, model 21-20. Single 5/8" belt with fan on the generator. The drivers side exhaust has the exit up front with a crossover tube to the passengers side exhaust pipe, then both exhaust pipes go into a vertical stack that went out the top of the cart the motor was on.
    It's too bad the block is cracked so bad.

11. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

That is sad about the block, a 100hp Merc too. The dual belt must have been removed to accommodate the deal on the end of the crankshaft. I converted my 42 Merc engine over to a single belt with a generator fan also so it can be installed in an early car. I feel so bad for you on the cracked block.

12. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

To follow up on my question. I borrowed a 1-3/8" socket, cut the splined area off so the socket could fit and popped the bolt off with my impact wrench. Turns out the splined shaft is the crank pully bolt.
    IMG_1976[1].JPG