Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Installing a 350 auto trans in 46-Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am changing from a standard 46 transmission to a sbc. The engine is installed with a Hurst front mount and an adapter for the 46 trans. I have been told that the engine will have to be moved back to use the 350 trans. I don't seem to agree with that. Anyone have any knowledge about this swap? I don't want to cut the firewall for clearance.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An adapter on a 48-back transmission takes up less room than the 350. If you have the trans look at it compared to the slant of the 350. If your Hurst mount is one that’s at the front of the engine with the Ford “donut” mounts you could find, use a thinner mounts and lower the engine giving you more clearance at the floorboard arch.. I believe the bolt in saddle mount that bolts inside the frame and uses the side mounts is also lower.

Pewsplace likes this.
  3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I'm not familiar where the Hurst mount will position your motor. I used the Chassis Engineering kit for my '46 and this is what I needed to do. The bottom of the frame needs some very slight trimming to clear the pan. A dimple about the size of a baseball cut in half, needs to be formed on the passenger side X member. to give the modulator valve some room. The small size modulator must be used. I made the dimple by heating up the frame rail red hot and formed it with a ball peen hammer. If the Hurst mount moves your motor back you might run out of room. What does moving your engine back have to do with using the 350 trans? If you're happy where your engine is sitting now, just move the transmission up. Am I understanding your question correctly?

Pewsplace, rod1 and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The SBC Is Already In The Right Place And Proceed...

Pewsplace likes this.

5. Will you be changing to an open driveshaft type rear axle at the same time?

6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Yes, I agree.

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Yes.

8. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Yes, I agree with you

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon