Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poll: Body off frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1pickup, Jun 25, 2021.

?
  1. Always

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Never

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Depends on the build

53 vote(s)
    66.3%
  1. 1pickup

1pickup

All this talk of customs on here lately has me itching to tear into my '49 Merc. I was planning to do a complete body off build & get the chassis completed. Then, finish the floors (fronts need work) / underside before mating the two back together. But at 58yo today, still a few years from retirement, & busy as hell (job, family, 2 houses, band), does it make sense to do the body off build, or just do what's needed & get it on the road quicker?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I guess that depends on whether you enjoy building, or driving, more.

rockable, Frankie47, joel and 8 others like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Before deciding whether or not to lift body off frame, examine the
    inner rockers and A-pillars to see if they need replacement. If they need to be replaced
    fix them first before removing the body so as not to disturb door and sheet metal alignment because once the body is off everything moves and problems arise that you didn't expect.

Replace all the floors, trunk floor with the body mounted on the frame to maintain alignment, door gaps, etc. Also, make sure you take photos of the body mounts and can get replacements along with other sheet metal you may need. Years ago there was a company called Green Mountain Parts in VT that made needed parts using 16 ga. sheet metal. I think there are other companies now making the metal parts. Take plenty of photos, notes and measurements. Also, carefully scrap the inner frame rail located right below the bottom of the firewall on the pass. side to reveal the stamped VIN #. Don't grind or sand.
    Buy the Merc. Manuals Vol. 1 of 2 volumes is shown. By both.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  4. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Not for me. I don't have fun in a car that I stuck too much money into or spent too much time on. I like to clean them up. Replace bushings, modernize front and rear suspensions so it handles and rides well. But I do in such a way you can't tell...
    I spray Lubriplate conveyor belt grease all over the insides of the fenders, doors, roof, frame, chassis. This grease stays black while a protective outside coat dries and stays put pretty much, while keeping the raw steel soaked in oil.

I see some cars at shows or cruises that are so perfect that I have no idea how they put them together without scratching anything... I would be a protective maniac if I was to put all that time and money into a car. It would make me miserable, no fun there... I like a halfway decent driver that runs, handles and rides well, one that I can drive all over the place without worrying if somebody's going to swipe it..

texasred, VANDENPLAS and hotrodjack33 like this.

5. That's the only way to build a ground up car or truck. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rockable, lo c dan, TagMan and 4 others like this.
  6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

HRP is correct. Be aware and prepared that you are undertaking a major project.

7. hepme

hepme

I've done it both ways. In the end, my opinion is not to pull the body unless there's a really good reason to do it. Body mounts (most) can be replaced on the car, frames can be prep'd, painted, etc. for driver quality with the body on. When a body is pulled, it shifts, clearances, etc. will need to be reset unless its been fully braced inside (more time, expense, effort). I have a 40 chevy coupe that has never had the body off, sits right and is quiet for a hot rod.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say that it depend more on the level of the build you intend to have in the end and to a degree if you plan on chasing awards when it is done. If driving it, having fun with it and maybe being surprised with an award if someone decides that it is worthy at an event is what you are after it doesn't need the body off the frame as long as there aren't a lot of frame mods or floor board repairs to be done. If knowing that your level of build is as high as you can get it means a lot pull the body off the frame or if you intend to actually show it to chase awards I'd pull the body off the frame.
    That said when you see HRP's photos above it says level of the build was of top priority. He doesn't come off as one who heads out to a show with the intent of coming back with another award but he doesn't cut any corners on the build. The wagon shows that. It's a frame off build but it may get used to deliver flowers just as it did every day in it's prior life when it is needed to do so as it gets to go to a car show.

From experience taking the body off will probably add six months to a year to the build time on most builds. Sending the frame out for sand blasting, prep and finish, Sending the body to be stripped or spending hours and hours under it on a creeper cleaning and prepping and putting a coat of something on the bottom side of the floor.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

This is my opinion as well. Of course on an early hotrod you're going to take the body off, it's easy and necessary to build the frame. But on a 50's or 60's car, I wouldn't do it unless I absolutely had to. I don't really give a shit if the frame has shiny paint on top between the frame and the floor, it doesn't need to be THAT nice, and it adds hundreds of difficult hours. If the car just needs normal body rust repair/paint/suspension type maintenance, I don't see a need to take the body off the frame.

Elcohaulic, texasred and ClarkH like this.
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

At my age and health, I don't even buy unripe bananas. I want to drive my cars and if I pulled the body off a frame, I know my heirs would be selling a basketcase.

12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

It depends on how solid you want the body, do you plan on fixing all the rust or just what you can see from twenty feet?

13. 34Phil

34Phil

Early car will need some floor cutting for later transmission clearance and a crossmember and newer rear end fitted. Better to pull it off. I just ordered a scissor lift.

14. 1pickup

1pickup

I have done it both ways as well. Yes, there will be added time for a body off build, but I would like it to be pretty nice. I don't give a rat's ass about trophies & awards, but if one came my way, I wouldn't turn it down. This car seems pretty solid. There is some swiss cheesing of the front floor pans (I have replacements), but overall looks good. The rockers have a little rust & some dents & I have replacement outers for those. I haven't done the teardown yet, so I am expecting more than meets the eye. I was driving this a few years ago, but parked it to concentrate on other builds. All I have done so far, other than necessary mechanical stuff, is rounded hood corners, lowering (blocks in the rear, Butch's kit in the front), '66 T-Bird seats, & floor shift. The quickest way would be to rebuild the flathead & use mostly stock parts. I do have new CCP A-arms (with ball joints) & disc brakes for the front & a power steering kit. As well as a 9" out of an Econoline that should be the right width. And, a '63 401 Nailhead, aluminum bell housing, and choice of Saginaw 4 speed or Muncie 3 speed. I guess I want it reliable and easy to drive anywhere.

rockable, Elcohaulic and arkiehotrods like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

the question is, how soon do you want to drive it?

joel, abe lugo, 1pickup and 1 other person like this.
  16. I would Not Tear it Down to the Frame.!
    I would Fix any problem the Car has Make sure
    its Roadworthy & Go out & Cruse with it
    The Car in my Avatar I have had it since its 1 year old
    I am 86 going on 87 & I still Drive all over my Area
    Make its Road worthy and Drive it.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Tman and arkiehotrods like this.
  17. Depends on condition and desired results.
    That super clean estate sale car, maybe not.
    The car that needs floors, rockers....... I would.
    The one I’m messing with now the pan is to replace body bushings, set the car on wheel stands (suspension loaded) and replace the rockers and floor pans. This way I can monitor door alignment.
    After that, remove the chassis and take care of it.
    Clean and undercoat the floor
    I also have a Mercury and been debating the same thing.
    I have an extra chassis.
    Thought about rebuilding the extra chassis and heave the car on the original as I do it’s rocker and floors.
    Then swap em over

18. The funny part is right after I typed that last comment, I walked outside to finish up stripping this.
    6459709B-F7E7-4EA3-BA2E-B660476D35FE.jpeg

1pickup likes this.
  19. 56MercMan

56MercMan

I am new to old cars (Well I say that but I have been working on this car for 20+yrs) but here is what I did
    Started with:
    upload_2021-6-25_10-23-30.png

Went to this:

upload_2021-6-25_10-24-7.png

I WISH I would have left it together and fixed it as I drove it. It was in my garage for 20ish years in some sort of assembly. I lost motivation MANY times. IF I would have worked on it as I drove it motivation would have stayed high.
    Now the frame got painted and suspension is all new and all that but when I was putting the motor, body and brakes back on, the frame got the paint chipped, scratched, the brake fluid ate it away and it got overspray on it from a bad body shop.
    Just my experience to share.

If I were to start over I would have just stripped and painted the frame under the car and did the work a little over time and enjoyed the car some.

arkiehotrods, ffr1222k and WalkerMD like this.
  20. When I had My Shop in Astoria I had a Friend that drove a El Camino
    to my Shop all the Time it looked Like A Wreck that happened Yesterday
    He had it Tied together with String & Wire and his fender's hanging off
    the Car look like a wreck ( but under the Hood was a 454 worked
    and when you came up to him at a street Light & asked if he
    wanted to race it He would tell you he had to bring the stuff to his
    Mon & he would come Back and he opened his Header pipes
    This Car was a 10. second car on the Street
    The money he made Racing he didn't have to Work.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die A Fool

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

50merc: Great story. Run against a sleeper and you end up a weeper.

williebill and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did they replace the traffic lights in Queens with Chrondek timers?:D

badshifter and squirrel like this.
  23. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Something people forget to account for is how much physical space will get occupied when you take one apart! They expand by at least 3 times, so you better have room for stuff everywhere.
    I've often thought about doing my car, but at my age it is fine just to drive and enjoy. The next guy that gets it can do it if he's up for it. I drove it today out to a friends farm in the country and I glad that I could. A frame version wouldn't have got much more attention and I probably wouldn't have been able to take it for being to nice.
    I understand the dilemma though. Had I done 30 years ago? meh

24. Budget36

Budget36

I’d have to ask how long have you had it, and has anything been done to it since? If you have had it tucked away for “someday “ for 20 years, will you have the gumption to go full bore on it when you retire?

Second question I have would be does the body have to really come off the frame to get it to the point you want it to be?

I too work full time, the days I have off are filled with stuff I need to get done, rarely what I want to get done. I’m also real close to your age, and to be honest if the body had to come off and even though I loved the car, I’d have it for sale. (Which I did 4 months ago).

Another thing to consider is do you have the room to pull a body off and work on the car, I know from experience it takes a lot of room to do even on a 30’s pickup.
    I’m not in the poll and surely I hope the poll doesn’t influence you one way or the other. As mentioned do what you want to do.

25. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I left the cab and bed on my 50 Chevy truck on. It still has filled two bays of the garage, and I would fill more if I had it. As I slowly put things back together it will empty the second bay, but the better half will take much longer to forgive me!

26. My brother did a frame off '53 Chevy truck years back, that took up all of a 1.5 car garage. He scarcely had room to run the welder and wood stove.

27. I have my last three '40-'41 Ford pickups..here's a pic of my current '41 projects starting point. I don't believe it's necessary on every build though.
    IMG_3843 (1).JPG

stillrunners likes this.
  28. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yep, depends which day of the week..

Yesterday.

29. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

My 55 Fargo, I first got a chassis, didn't paint it as it was to be a garbage hauler etc. Big mistake on my part, as it became my only "hotrod".
    Cab is a 1955 Dodge 1 ton box is from a 52, doors and rear fenders from a 56 Fargo.
    All pieced together and rough.
    I'm actually not too proud of it these days.
    Has a LA 318/904 combo.
    Interior not finished, lots to do in there.
    Need to redo all shackles bushings etc, find another steering box and pull spring packs apart.
    She however runs and drives quite well, but prefers 60 to 65 mph, she can go much faster however.
    Live and learn, I always think others look better than my beater..

Attached Files:

vtx1800, Frankie47 and Elcohaulic like this.
  30. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both my 36 pickup and my 40 tudor had butchered X-members necessitating body off construction.
    I feel much better when driving the highways knowing that I've laid eyes on all the major components.

joel and Frankie47 like this.