Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old B movies, The day the earth stood still etc

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Jun 18, 2021.

1. Forbidden Planet was loosely based on Shakespeare’s The Tempest. Great movie! Some other really well made Sci-Fi/monster movies: War of the Worlds, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and of course King Kong, Frankenstein.
    I liked The Incredible Shrinking Man too.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  2. Roothawg

Roothawg

Just watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night. Classic.

3. LAROKE

LAROKE

Some of the real cheesy ones can only be seen these days on the Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVD collections.

4. Just watched “The Black Scorpion”. 1957.
    giant scorpions from a volcano attack Mexico.

Deuces, mad mikey and Roothawg like this.
  5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I watched the earth vs the spider the other night and it was epic. Did you know spiders made howling sounds? They also make webs out of hemp rope.

6. Watch Beginning of the End where giant grasshoppers attack the city. Real cheesy special effects.
    The Killer Shrews was pretty cheesy too but had an enjoyable cast of misfits.

7. They have a channel on Roku, 24/7.
    I can’t remember my favorite one they parodied. It was about a scientist that received plans for a communicator from outer space. He eventually joins a group of other scientists trying to save a dying planet. They did an excellent job making fun of it.

mad mikey, lothiandon1940 and LAROKE like this.
  8. LAROKE

LAROKE

I believe you're talking about This Island Earth, the device being an interocitor. The aliens all had big foreheads.

9. That’s it, funny as hell rendition. Made me a fan of MST3000.

10. MST 3000 is great. Makes me laugh out load, the commentary is very funny. The episode of The Brute Man is hysterical:D.

chevy57dude, Deuces and wraymen like this.
  11. A few more that I have seen. The Indestructible Man, starring Lon Chaney Jr. Die Monster Die, starring Boris Karloff. Man With The X Ray Eyes, starring Ray Mallan. The Brain That Wouldn't Die. War of The Colossal Beast, the sequel of the Amazing Colossal Man, That one scared the hell out of me when I was a little kid LOL.

chevy57dude, quick85 and wraymen like this.
  12. [QUOTE="War of The Colossal Beast, the sequel of the Amazing Colossal Man, That one scared the hell out of me when I was a little kid LOL.[/QUOTE]

Not a Sci-fi flick but the one that scared me when I was little was “The Haunting” 1963. Slow start but once it gets going it’s great. No blood, gore or monsters just a decent cast, story line and excellent camera work. I give it two thumbs up.:)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  13. I agree, that's a real good one. :)

Deuces and wraymen like this.
  14. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I used to catch my horror and sci-fi movies on a Friday late night program
    called
    "Shock Theatre" in Chicago as a kid in the late '50s and early '60s, which
    ran from 10:00 to midnight. It was hosted by a fellow named Marvin and his
    wife "Dear". They also had a band on the show named Marvin & the Deadbeats.

Even to a kid who was having the begeezus scared out of him, Marvin was kool.
    Svengoolie was a buffoon compared to Marvin.

zzzzzzzmarvin-ad11.jpg

Deuces, Roothawg and mad mikey like this.
  15. LAROKE

LAROKE

In Western Pennsylvania we had Chiller Theater with 'Chilly Billy' Cardille.

16. Hey LAROKE
    Is this it?
    R7c005704d580f88c59606d5ccece9329.jpg

17. When I was very young we had Dr. Shock, he usually had his baby daughter on with him who he called Bubbles. Late on Saturday night around 10:00 was Horror classics, hosted by a guy called Wee Willie Weber. Great memories of watching these movies as a kid and being scared, thrilled and enjoying.:)

wraymen, Deuces, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  18. FYI.
    TCM is playing all the teen angst films this month.
    The “docu dramas” of the miss understood youth. the B movie teens in jail stuff.

19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

The teen angst films are scarier than B horror films because
    of the terrible acting and plot lines. For example:

No Time To Be Young - Robert Vaughan & Roger Smith
    Juvenile Jungle - Corey Allen
    Boy Slaves
    Dragstrip Girl - Fay Spain & Steve Terrell
    The Party Crashers - Connie Stevens & Mark Damon

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Deuces, mad mikey and anthony myrick like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

The choppers comes to mind.

Deuces and mad mikey like this.
  21. I always get a laugh seeing Vic Morrow and Sydney Poitier playing high school kids in the movie Black Board Jungle. Sydney kind of pulled it off but Vic looked older than Glen Ford even though he was actually 26. I guess he could of flunked 2nd grade 9 times.
    I did know a guy that could legally buy us beer freshman year of high school.

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

The best My Name Is Earl quote “Are you in the 17th grade?”

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Watched “War of The Colossal beast” last night. It was awful. I loved it.

Deuces, wraymen and mad mikey like this.
  24. When I was a kid I was allowed to stay up a little late on a Friday night. That movie scared the crap out of me. Yea terrible and yet so good.:)

Deuces, wraymen and Roothawg like this.
  25. When I was 12 years old my parents went bowling on Friday night, I stayed home with my younger sister, the original Day the earth stood still movie came on and it scared the crap outta me, my sister was asleep and when my parents got home I had every light in the house on.

That movie is a classic and I have watch it many times in my life, it's one of my all time favorites. HRP

Klaatu barada nikto.

Deuces, mad mikey and Roothawg like this.
  26. As far as the cheesy B movies, some are better than others but I am a sucker for them, I have a lot of titles on DVD and actually watched Hot Rod Gang at 4AM this morning, cool roadsters, too much Dowop music but the cars is what makes the movie interesting. HRP

[​IMG]

27. Thats cool Danny. I love all of those flicks as well. I still watch Hot Rods To Hell on DVD now and again. LOL.:)

Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  28. Oilguy

Oilguy

The Mole People.

29. Thats a bad , good one for sure.

Deuces likes this.