Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Southwind heater in a 1940 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adavis, Jun 23, 2021.

1. adavis

adavis

I'm fairly certain I'm not the first person to install a Southwind in a 40 Ford so I figured I'd ask a simple question in hopes that someone who's done it before can save me from screwing something up. I've got a NOS model 781 Southwind heater that is still in the box with all the original paperwork including the template for drilling the holes in the firewall. My question has to do with the clearance between the firewall and the back of the engine/intake. I'm running a 59AB flathead with a dual 97 Edmunds intake. From how I see it, there's no way the heater can be mounted dead center in the firewall because the lines will hit the back of the engine. I'm wondering if everyone just mounts it a couple inches to the right to gain the necessary clearance for the lines? It looks like I would clear the throttle linkage as well if I mount it offset.

If anyone has a picture or first-hand information regarding where to mount the heater I would really like to get that BEFORE I cut the firewall and backing. Thanks.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Most Southwinds are mounted on the right side of the firewall. Can't say I've ever seen one mounted in the center, probably for just the reasons you mention.

3. adavis

adavis

Perfect....thanks Alchemy. That's exactly the info I was looking for. Thanks!