Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chassis to go under a model t

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chris76, Jun 21, 2021.

1. chris76

chris76

I’m trying to decide what chassis us under my 1927 model T Ford. I’m trying to get it on full rego in NSW Australia. I’m thinking of using a modified original chassis or maybe a model a chassis.
    Is there anything else that would be better?

2. badshifter

badshifter

Are you asking what chassis IS under your 27? Or what chassis to USE under your 27?
    Either way, what style build? Need some info first and pictures as well, but obviously a T or A chassis is a good start.

3. The look good with modified 32 rails

4. Last edited: Jun 21, 2021

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesnt really matter what is possible what matters is what is permisable for full rego in NSW. Contact the RTA and go from there.

6. chris76

chris76

I mean what chassis to use.
    I have heard the the model t chassis where not strong enough to use a v8 engine.

7. chris76

chris76

8. chris76 wrote;
    I mean what chassis to use.
    I have heard the the model t chassis where not strong enough to use a v8 engine.

I am going to use a 1927 Ford TT (truck) frame, when I build my 27 T roadster, it is strong enough. tt.JPG

clem likes this.
  9. I would be using a Model A. It's commonly done under late T's and while not as easy to get as they used to be, they're not that hard to find.
    I assume you have the NSW 'street rod' build guidelines book for reffernce and have at least spoken to someone at the NSW TAC?

Jimmy B is in NSW and has been through the system there.

10. I have a 21TT chassis underneath my 27 tub. It's boxed, pinched and Z'd with a tubular K member. IMG_20210611_165636382_HDR.jpg IMG-20190123-WA0000.jpeg

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm using a '28-'31 frame with my '27 T Coupe. Fits perfectly.
    You'll need to box the frame if you go with an original. They have kits for this.

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Take a look at Boling Brothers for ideas

13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What did the RTA say you can do for having it on full rego?

14. Squablow

Squablow

I have an A frame under my '26 which fits very nicely, but I'm in the States where the registration isn't as big of an issue. My car is registered as a '26 to match the body, not the frame. That'd be the biggest issue. If you can register it as an A using an original A frame, I'd go with that. '32 Ford frames also look great but finding an original to use is going to be really tough, especially in Australia. The TT truck frame is also a good option especially if you want to register it as a '27, assuming you can find a frame.

20210622_123229_HDR.jpg

15. chev34ute

chev34ute

I would definitely use a Model A frame, the extra three inch wheelbase alone is worth it. A couple of things need to be clarified however. I am in NSW and it’s hands down the worst state to get anything engineered.

A local rodder who has been building Model As for nearly 50 years had built a closed cab pickup 28/29 pickup several years ago and it was at the stage of getting getting engineered.

He got knocked back because he did not have an original block to reference the vin from. The frames don’t have numbers like the GM versions.

So he had to source a complete original engine to complete the process. If you are going to use an A Model frame you should try and source an original block as well.

A couple of questions, assuming you are using the A Model frame. Are you going to be running it fully fendered ? If so will you be using Model T guards or Model A guards ?

If you are using the Model T guards you will need to lengthen the running boards.

clem likes this.