Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Which grill treatment on my 53 Buick?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Busted Knuckles, Jun 20, 2021.

?
  1. Imperial

83.3%
  2. Royal Lancer

16.7%
  1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

No one said the ENTIRE car should be left stock....only major components of the front end. Good is good, stock or not. See my post above.

Ray

SS327 likes this.
  2. belair

belair

3. SS327

SS327

I was not saying keep it stock. Just taking the elements of the car and slightly, key word “slightly” exaggerating them. There are some examples above. You have a 4 hole Buick they already stand tall. I’m not advocating change for change sake or doing what has been done over and over again. I am saying keep it subtle. If it was mine I would slightly sink all the trim except the rear wheel opening trim. Ditch that and add the skirts. Just my opinion. Just what I would do. I thought we were here to share opinions and ideas. It’s your car after all and you have to live with it not anyone else.

4. Does anyone else think the bottom one looks like a barracuda- the fish, not the plymouth.

Budget36 likes this.
  5. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

I like the upper lip and mesh of the Bottom grill. Loose the bar and teeth and use the bumper from the Upper Grill. Keep it simple and elegant.

6. You dogged the dog??? Honestly, Ray.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Not sure what it looks like, but looks a bit funky to me.

8. Mark Grabo

Mark Grabo
    from Upstate NY

9. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Its like a pirate.

54delray and Mark Grabo like this.
  10. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I do like the top one.

11. Squablow

Squablow

I feel like the Imperial bar is too straight and boxy for the grille opening, but the Dodge bars make it really busy, with extra unnecessary parking lights. Also I think the scale of the Dodge bars is off, they'd be taller and not as wide, so in practice I think it'd look odd.

But what I could see is cut the ends of the Dodge bars off, swap them end for end, and weld them back together in the center for a floating bar. It would fit the shape of the grille opening better and keep people guessing. Here's a quick and shitty photoshop of what I mean on a Dodge, but I think it'd work equally well on your Buick. Likely no background grille would be needed. I think it'd also work better without the bumper bombs on the Buick bumper.

Dodge.custom.royal.1956.mild.customization.front.view.hood-level.01.JPG

loudbang and 54delray like this.
  12. Squablow

Squablow

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As others have alluded "Aesthetics are important". That idea should be paramount.

loudbang likes this.
  14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I think the 59 Imperial grill looks great and is the best of the choices here, and is easily as good or better than the factory treatment. I don't love the Lancer treatment.

As correctly pointed out here, properly nosing the car is of critical importance, including both the badging and ornament. Perhaps adding a smooth peak would add back some of the detail removed and still keep the hood smooth.

Busted Knuckles and Tman like this.
  15. You have entered the bizzarro HAMB. Where shitbox hot rods and restored 50s cars are revered.