Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Blown Hemi blower question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Jun 16, 2021.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

I,ve run blowers on my rods for years. Just got my first blown Hemi on the road. Got a 354 with a 6/71 and a manual 5 speed. I have underdriven the blower using some pulleys I had lying around. Wanted to iron out any teething problems with the car before turning the boost up. Just wondering what ratios others are running?

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

An blower does not know whos name is on the valve covers

loudbang likes this.
  3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10%-15% under is a good place to start. Experiment from there. How wild is the cam and what are you running for compression?

loudbang likes this.
  4. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I run a 6-71 at 6% underdriven on a early 392 hemi with aluminum heads....Works out to a 11 to 1 and works well with 93 octane fuel we have.. So far never had any detonation issues...

loudbang and milwscruffy like this.

5. It all goes back to the boost,,,,,,every combination is a little different .
    But,,,,,Hemis can take more than other engines,,,,at least for a while .
    A good bottom end,,,and a decent setup,,,,always goes a long way .

Tommy

stillrunners and loudbang like this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yeah, it depends on the condition of the blower.
    No crystal balls here...

You're missing a LOT of details..!
    Static compression ratio, lobe overlap (dynamic compression ratio), lobe degrees open, etc, etc.
    How well...or not, is it set up ? loose, tight, teflon strips, race tight..?
    Is the block o-ringed, heads o-ringed

Best get yourself a pressure gauge and monitor the pressure closely.

Mike

19Eddy30 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. The real killer that everyone is missing is detonation. If you cant control the heat in the combustion chamber bad things happen. Plug gaps close up; rings get pinched; piston domes collapse etc. Using old technology limits what you can do to control the heat. The timing is critical. It cant be emphasized enough. A early hemi likes between 28 and 32 degrees max. Under boost conditions that needs to come down. So your left with A. Backing off you timing running around retarded until you step on it.
    B. Setting the timing normal and under driving the blower so much the car makes very little power.
    C. The best option i have found is running a MSD-7 with boost retard. A map sensor is screwed into the manifold. As the boost comes up the timing is retarded. Usually about a degree per pound of boost. This keeps everything happy. The nitrous and turbo guys do the same thing.
    With the MSD box you can run the blower at any over drive you want safely. A nice street ratio is around 5-10 over depending on the blower. A boost gauge is highly recommend so you know whats really going on. Anyone that talks about pully ratios and not boost pressure is not with it. Manifold design; engine size; valve size; port size etc all effect the boost pressure. A single blower put on 100 different engines will give you 100 different pressure readings. So want to know what a pully change does to your engine. Thats were the boost gauge comes in to play. Alot of guys are stuck in the old days before
    boost retard boxes were invented. I run one on my hemi. I run it at 25 percent over on the track. On the street its at 9 over and still made a thousand hp at the tire. I first started to run the msd on my 354 after i broke alot of parts because of detonation. Look into this easy fool proof part.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  8. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Running 8:1 compression. Isky 270 mega_hyd cam , 112 deg lobe centres.
    MSD 6BTM. Running 10 degrees initial timing,28 total all in by 2500rpm. 5 speed Tremec .Trutrac 3.7 diff and 30.5 inch tall tyres. 6/71 with 2 Edelbrock 500 cfm carbs. Got a couple more pulley set ups here to try next week.Learnt about detonation the hard way 30 years ago.

chevy57dude and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  9. What's your compression ratio? How many actual pounds of boost are you producing now?
    To establish a baseline. Racer X is experienced here.

☆edit I see 8:1 ratio

loudbang likes this.
  10. On the street with 9 over its 11 lbs. On the strip its 25 over making 30 lbs. Compression is 8.2

loudbang likes this.
  11. With aluminum heads you can subtract one full point of compression. They draw alot of heat from the chamber.

loudbang likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am putting together a street-only iron-head 354, with a 6-71, with intention of driving it everywhere. It will be impressively quick, but not utterly irresponsible.

Given the expense of building in the first place, and the expense of making a mistake, I might do what is unthinkable, and unspeakable here, and move towards something that can be tuned with a laptop, for at minimum the ignition timing/boost retard. I have altitude change considerations in my motoring area, too.

A whole lot of tradition included ruining parts and disabling your car. I don't want to participate in that part. I want to have fun, not single-handedly fund an entire tow company.

13. Multiple tune ups can be put into the MSD. Your just a key stroke away from a new tune up.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what I am leaning towards. Anything more extensive than that would require a much larger cash outlay.

I have everything but the MSD box in-house already.

15. Lock the distributor. Program the timing retard. Install a map sensor.
    Now if you change elevation or put good gas in it the tune can be changed. Hide the box and no one will know. I use a braided line to the map with a high quality clamp. I have blown plain rubber line off the map.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not worried about the MAP sensor being visible, or the box. I am going to get a full-ration for building a mid-engine Model A pickup, with a blown Hemi.