Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Terminology clarification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jun 14, 2021.

1. I guess they'd know.:rolleyes:

2. Fordors

Fordors

Why anyone thought that car had to be changed from the way Henderson built it is beyond me.

lothiandon1940, X38 and Hnstray like this.
  3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

First thing that popped into my mind when I thought Resto-Rod was Larry Wood's 32 Nash. Magnificent execution (as always from him).

Late 20's-mid 30's cars seemed to fit the bill for Resto- Rods. Late 60's - early 70's seemed to be the high point. Lots of big sedan's, but I do recall a few 32-34 Vicky's done up with black, dark green or deep maroon paint, etched tinted glass, mohair interiors, wood grained dashes & window garnish (drool). Under hood was usually a mucho chromed SBC with smoothed exhaust manifolds, etc.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/1932-nash-ambassador

[​IMG]

Tman, rockable and Hnstray like this.
  4. :(

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Language is fluid and always changing. As one example, in the 1600s, "peculiar" meant what we call "particular" nowadays and peculiar now means odd or strange. Having said that, I have never liked the terms "restorod" or "restomod" (expecially restomod). Is it restored or modified? I see cars for sale here, eBay, craigslist all the time advertised as "restomods" when in fact it's a clapped out piece of junk with Autozone chrome valve covers. It's just a nebulous, meaningless term to me because the definition is so imprecise and more than anything determined by the eyes and opinion of the beerholder.

Tman, Oilguy and dana barlow like this.
  7. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

These terms are talking points....Car is either stock or modified....

8. squirrel

squirrel

Well....there's more than one way to modify a car. If you leave it appearing stock outside, and put in newer drivetrain, and it's a 20s-40s car, then you have built a restorod, whether you know what the term means, or not.

clem, dana barlow, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  9. George

George

Resto-Mod: Stock looking but with an updated engine. Off hand often used with 60s muscle cars that have an engine from the last decade or so in them, like the Gen 3 Hemis.

10. Restorods were popular in then '70s around the time of the gas crunch. They were mostly stock looking bodies with weezer motors in them.

Probably better clarify that last statement a little bit. They commonly had weezer motors in them. A popular restorod combo was a Pinto or Vega banger in an A coupe for example.

dana barlow and rockable like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s all invinerial as far as I’m circumcized. :rolleyes:

dana barlow likes this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Like I said already,depens who your talking too. Most of the BS about looks stock out side,hinding a big HP engine;,was classed as "SLEEPER" ,by all those I grew up with in the 50's n 60's.
    Latter Yuppy's were calling things anything popped out! ,must of been too much pot n LSD.;)
    A good trick is,just payation long enough to fig out what they are saying,or ask more!
    We love cars..........................:cool:

13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Today, there are people who for the lack of a better way, use terms that mean just about the same thing in any category. Restoration of old cars is what most here on the HAMB would like to do for their current hot rods or for future hot rods. Some have their own ideas of a future hot rod that is way out there. But, they do want to “restore” that old rusty hunk into something nice. Great…

Hot rods have gone through many stages from the early times of modified family cars and station wagons. Fast meant a new motor or one that was modified to go fast. While others spent time doing body work to get the whole car ready for the final new paint scheme. But, it was… “restored” back to the factory specs or even better. But, restored it was.

As much “restoration” took place was the goal of most. It just took time and money to get the surface and interior portions finished to look like it rolled off of the factory assembly line…only with some new additions for individuality.

It is not worth it to continue to say which era developed which style of hot rod or custom car. They were all basically trying to have a “restored” old car with new, whatever they could afford to install and make their own. My 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery in high school was a hot rod, but the former owner did some “restoration” to various body parts, before he painted the fun, Salmon Pink color.
    upload_2021-6-20_4-30-21.png
    With a nice wax job, the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery body and fenders were pristine, just like rolling off of the factory assembly line, although this one had a different color and 348 Chevy motor.

Jnaki

It takes all kinds and the naming of hot rods that have low buck modifications to high dollar total ground up recreations are still hot rods… The different styles from different eras get nicknamed for better or worse. Kind of like saying a 1940 Willys Coupe with a 671 SBC motor was a “gasser” and not just a street legal hot rod that ran in the Gas Coupe/Sedan Class. Yes, the name is long when a discussion arises, but it was the era and to make things different or easier for a magazine article catchy slogan…a “gasser” term was born.

Example: This hot rod roadster is a “restomod,” because they did the same things as the previous owner. But, in this instance, some changes were made that don’t look like a “standard” hot rod. Restoration/old hot rod… all in the name of catchy sayings. The same thing for “restored” or even “street rod.”

The last designation was trying to separate the restored from drag racing hot rods, so for lack of a better separation, the articles started coming out with “street rods.” Where else are you going to drive them?

Think back to when you saw a pristine 29 Model A going down the street or in a community parade. Afterwards, wandering around looking at the pristine body, paint and running gear. Didn’t we all have that cloud in our brain that said… just think if a cool dual quad SBC motor was sitting inside that engine compartment…? Fast and pristine body, all in the name of being a hot rod person…

OH, OH… you are falling into the “restomod” mode or better yet, or will be laughed at as a “restorod” or worse yet… a “street rod.” Wow, terms that are worthless, but people keep hanging on for lack of clarity and confusion.

It was the time period or era of hot rodding… if it is/was not your style or time, then move on to your own hot rod era without labeling the old style doing their builds for their own individual style. They are all hot rods from mostly talented builders and finishers. YRMV

14. Just read all of this!
    If you are worried about what to call a car you miss the simplicity
    of what the HAMB is all about.
    Look at it this way. Most of what I just read was words that didn't
    even exist before 1965. I don't even look at a car described with
    words that didn't exist!
    And I'm too old to waste time turning a car that is a resto-smeshto
    into a car that looks like a 1940s-50s Hot Rod!
    Just my $.02. ( about $.20 today)

15. To illustrate:
    Why be interested in this:
    00K0K_cD0WfLBGsh4z_0kE0gw_600x450.jpg

When you can start with this for half the price?
    00R0R_h2XEJE817IAz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
    Photos from this AM on good old CL!