Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Terminology clarification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Jun 14, 2021.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From time to time, I see the term restorod used around here. I know what a restomod is. Is a restorod the same thing? Or is it something different?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

In my mind they are more or less the same thing….the distinction I think of between them is a ‘restoROD’ is a vehicle from the ‘20s thru, maybe the mid/late ‘30s. A ‘restoMOD’ is later model. But neither gives me much pause. Tomato /tomahto .

EDIT: @lothiandon1940 posted below has it right, a point I neglected to say. In all cases, the emphasis is ‘nearly stock’ looking at a glance.

Ray

rockable and dana barlow like this.
  3. There was a movement in the 80's where hot rods were often made to look outwardly almost stock. Cowl lights were left in place usually, tops not filled with van sheet metal, but original style material and on and on. Orv Elgie comes to mind when I think about Resto-rods.

alphabet soup, Joe Blow, fauj and 6 others like this.
  4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Term's can be more about were you grew up,then any real meaning ! Though someone may think it's this or that to them.
    The bubble of BS they live in,. Like if I use the term" Street Rod",from me it is a rod that is designed to drive on the street. Drag Car,from me is for racing at the strip. But other's think "Street Rod"is not what I do! Often it seems by them to be what I call "Gold Chain Rod"
    So we kind balance,by try to fig who we're talking to,just too keep missed ideas away.
    Even for common used term,it's about common to who !
    I been building hotrods n customs,from when I started in the 1950s an still do,never stopped,but still don't know as much as some young guy's tell me they do!! :D abetters2.jpg

5. I think both of these were Orv Elgie built cars. This is what comes to my mind when someone mentions Resto rods. Others may disagree. OIP.jpg download.jpg

6. Budget36

Budget36

I think the phrase in in the mind of the car owner, years back an older gent had a basically stock ‘36 Ford PU, he had a V6 of some sort adapted to it, other than that, pretty much was a stock PU with a V6, he called it a street rod.
    Then there’s the guys selling “frame off restorations” with fuel injection, etc, etc.

I guess I’m saying it’s pretty much open to interpretation

dana barlow and rockable like this.
  7. George

George

[QUOTE="Budget36, post: 14096104, member: 257791"
    Then there’s the guys selling “frame off restorations” . [/QUOTE] On Unibody cars....

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lothiandon1940 hit the nail right on the head with two prime examples.
    Still a real popular look that in a lot of cases makes the car look more like an original car that someone lowered and put nice looking tires on. All the trim on rather than shaving a lot off was one focus and that got rodders hunting the chrome and stainless trinkets.
    Resto Mod to me is a post shoebox car that has a fairly stock looking body and billet wheels on it with a lot of OT for here trinkets under the hood and in the interior.

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Restorods was the popular trend in the 70’s before the billet pastel of the 80’s period.

10. squirrel

squirrel

It started long before the 80s....they were pretty well refined by the early 70s.

resto.jpg

11. For me, "resto-rod" started in the early 60's. There were plenty of cheap pre-war cars around, and I didn't care if it was stock looking, blanket on the worn out front seat and all. I spent my dollars on go-fast engines and flashy wheels. Over the years, I think the replies have nailed it. Resto-rod earlier, Resto-Mod later, Street rod has stuff installed we don't talk about.

rockable likes this.
  12. Oilguy

Oilguy

A 55 Chevy with a 350 crate motor is not "restored". Don't know what it is but it is not restored. May have great body and paint work and look original but it is not close to original. Maybe a "restorod" or something like that. The dealers love to sell cars using that "restored" description. A restored car would have the original motor, trans, colors, interior design, etc. I like many of those modified cars but I sure wouldn't call them restorations.

13. The Resto-rod trend started back in late 60s-70s as noted. The first time most of us heard "restomod" was uttered by Brock Yates and the clowns at Barrett Jackson trying to talk about shit they had new clue of almost 20 years ago. I blame them. We even had a discussion here about it. Those fools will say anything to fill air time.

14. Oilguy

Oilguy

It is like the term "Classic". That covers anything built prior to 1990. A 77 Ford F100 is a "Classic". I don't get it. My 62 and 66 cars are not "Classics". They are just old cars. I love the real ones; Duesenberg, Auburn, Packard, Winton, Lincolns, Cord, Stutz, etc.
    But then I am just a grumpy old fart.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  15. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That helps refine it a little for me. I already had the basic idea. Thanks for the help.

loudbang likes this.
  16. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

^^^^ That's classic. It just is.

jimmy six and dana barlow like this.
  17. Resto-mod= restored with modifications to the original layout.

Resto-rod= restored hot rod from the past, like if you bought one of the original hot rods from the 50's and restored it to what it was then.

18. In the 70's resto rod craze, 'hot rodders' would fight restorers for a good deuce luggage rack. It was that bad.

But then someone decided stripping all the chrome off and painting everything the same icecream colour was a good idea...and it got worse.

19. Last part is wrong. The resto rods were mild hotrods that retained all the gee gaws that a stocker would have. A perfect example in the 70s would have been a Model A sedan or coupe. It would have cowl lights, bumpers maybe a luggage rack and other add ons. Lots of earth tone colors and two tones. Usually had an SBC or dressed up SBF. Mclean wire wheels were real popular wearing the typical 70s polyglass tires.

20. Sorry, I'm no pro. That's just my opinion.

dana barlow and Blues4U like this.
  21. Whats funny is I scored a good luggage rack a few years back as well as an accessory running board luggage rack. Both have intended homes on a couple of my model As ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Here is an example of resto rod style
    [​IMG]

23. Ah yes, the fancy cut or etched patterns in wind wings and 1/4 glasses. Often floral designs.

A magazine feature would always include a close up of that if the car had it.;)

VANDENPLAS, rockable and Tman like this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

There's history behind this, so the words might not really make sense if you weren't around to experience it.

25. Ah yes! I forgot to mention the etched glass and engraved parts! Not to mention the Curly Q trucker pinstriping.......

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and X38 like this.
  26. I still have the Hot Rod issue with that pair featured. I was in love with that Deuce Vicky. It is still a gorgeous car. And the rolling stock and stance make it.

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Beautiful car. Love the wire wheels, would look better with black walls though.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I agree about the tires. And I thought the same back then, but OWL was the popular choice, both OEM and aftermarket, at the time, so the pics reflect the era in which this build occurred.

Ray

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy

30. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Ahh... my favorite all time car... Wayne Henderson’s Deuce Victoria. Perfect is the only word to describe that car, sits right, has a Blue Oval power train, and real Halibrand wheels. The coolest item was that in order to fit the Cleveland engine he reversed the stock ‘32 firewall. The car itself still exists but it has been modified so much that it is unrecognizable.