Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects fixing a smashed 31 model A pickup cab.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Mar 17, 2019.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Engine runs smooth as silk. :)

2. thanks

will do:)

thanks, I will keep the updates coming.

thanks for following, glad you enjoyed it.

all thanks to @Street Is Neat and Charlie's tuning skills.

ct1932ford, Stogy, RodStRace and 2 others like this.
  3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

X2 for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, RodStRace and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. @greaser sent the Slacker, [free of charge] the rear window frame he was missing and a section of the back of the cab around the window. THANKS GREASER!!!!!
    Charlie test fit it today and brought it back to me so I could blast and prime it. IMG_2080.JPG IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2082.JPG

dwollam, ct1932ford, brEad and 6 others like this.
  5. greaser

greaser

Happy to help. I really love the this little pickup. You guys have done an incredible job!

Stogy, ct1932ford, brEad and 5 others like this.
  6. Nice 33 Chevy in the background!

7. build thread coming.....

Stogy, greaser, ct1932ford and 2 others like this.
  8. the Slacker got the horn ring on and working and also cut down a set of v8 sill plates to work. IMG_2107.JPG IMG_2105.JPG

9. he also got the trim rings and caps cleaned up and installed. IMG_2108 2.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG IMG_2109.JPG

10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

looking mighty fine

Stogy, greaser, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  11. He's keeping busy. Looks good!

Stogy, nunattax, greaser and 2 others like this.
  12. stopped at Charlie's he worked through the heat and got it almost done!
    new rear window is in thanks to @greaser ! image3.jpeg

Robert J. Palmer, brEad, OFT and 9 others like this.
  13. he also got the mirrors on....although the passenger side is doesn't adjust tight enough. image2.jpeg
    image1.jpeg

brEad, dwollam, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those clamp ones get a pretty bad rap, the hinge pinner works though...take that clamp off drill one hole in the window frame near where it is now and a round rubber gasket...

20210702_192139.jpg

Or fab a pin bracket for the passenger side mirror perhaps using the chrome mount in the new design...

Charlie sell any Garage Doors yet...:)?

dwollam, TFoch and loudbang like this.
  15. we discussed bolting the clamp one on but it is at the wrong angle. we may heat and bend it...a burn mark shouldn't look out of place.:cool:
    no garage door sales yet, he just got the inspection done and is ready to get it registered soon.:)

dwollam, TFoch, kidcampbell71 and 4 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Resurface the mirror post mating face to the angle that is required or maybe add a tapered shim...the mirror has that ball joint that gives a fair bit of peeper adjustment...peeps is a real good name for them...:D

TFoch, loudbang and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. he also bought some new seat belts and installed them. image4.jpeg

Robert J. Palmer, brEad, OFT and 7 others like this.
  18. and the hood is on! this is the original hood to the truck. Charlie was able to get the creases out from the tree. image0.jpeg

Robert J. Palmer, brEad, OFT and 15 others like this.
  19. Needs another painted mirror like the one on the drivers side! Still needs to get the front end down a couple of inches. Slackers! :rolleyes: Looks good Charlie :cool:

greaser, dwollam, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i have 2 clamp on style mirrors and a pair of those 5" black mirror heads..im thinking of combining the two. and converting the rim style to surface mount near the top of the door ,but as far forward as will work.ill need to drill two smaller m5 holes in the door with a plate inside the door tapped m5.and countersinking the large bolt into the bracket.might need the 2" extensions for the shaft.when its all done powdercoat the brackets black.reluctant to go drilling a 83 year old door.passenger window mirror is the most inportant one for me ( driving a lhd vehicle on the left hand side of the road )as the drivers one spends it life looking at hedges except when on multi lane roads. on my 38 chevy truck

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    tb33anda3rd, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I dunno, a clamp on mirror would lead one to believe mirrors are an afterthought or option...choose a location wisely and drill that hole and make it look like it was meant to be there...the hinge pinner style looks like a pretty well thought out design...

Think about it this way...if someone buys your old car after you hates the hole drilled mirror they can OFF with it and weld up the little hole...sure beats 6" missing at the bottom of the door in repair complexity...

tb33anda3rd, loudbang and nunattax like this.
  23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i think they were an afterthought way back in the 30 s.but are a necessity now for convenience , safety ,and keeping my truck undamaged.those peep mirrors are too small .i like the 5" heads in black.but the stems are good looking . 2"extensions are practical.aint no use having the coolest mirrors if you cant see out of them.ive been giving the mirror situation lots of thought thats why they arent on yet.before i drill anything ill give it a trial run held on with tape or something similar with the glass wound down making sure the adjustment is correct. cheers stogy .

loudbang, tb33anda3rd and Stogy like this.
  24. Charlie thinks the mirror might be usable the way it is, it will catch a car in the blind spot [allowing him to pull back in after making the pass;)] , he just can't see the truck itself. so he is not that worried about it right now.
    I don't think one more hole in this truck would be a deal breaker:D, but I under stand your hesitation drilling your truck doors.

Schneiders ford parts.

I took the clamp part off the hinges for my car. I drilled the holes carefully and haven't looked back. finding the correct shaped arm was the first challenge.

ct1932ford, dwollam and loudbang like this.
  25. I am not sure why the slacker didn't get a matching mirror, maybe they are not available? I bet we could modify a driver side if need be. I will ask him.
    we talked about lowering it yesterday, he is more focused on getting it registered and working out the bugs.

dwollam, loudbang and ct1932ford like this.
  26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

I took the clamp part off the hinges for my car. I drilled the holes carefully and haven't looked back.

any picture of the finished job ?

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

theres a 2" extension available comes with a longer countersunk bolt

28. DSCF5834.JPG DSCF5835.JPG DSCF5838.JPG

29. I left the one edge proud so it would sit against the front edge of the door to keep it from turning, drilled a hole and countersunk it for a machine screw.

30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx man we are on the same page,but ill definatly go with 2 mounting screws and a 5" mirror head i got from jim carter trucks ,not too expensive .might mock up using the peep mirror parts and end up heating and bending the shaft to suit.like i said the passenger side mirror will be my main wing mirror and need to get it right cheers chris

tb33anda3rd likes this.