Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 8RT, should I get my crank balanced?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Showing-Cords, Jun 1, 2021.

1. My crank was ground .020" on the rods and mains. The block has been bored to .080" over standard. I'm using original rods and pins. The machinist thinks I'll be OK but he's still going to call a few people and see for certain. He's gone to .060" over standard with these and put them together with no problems but he hasn't built tons of them. This engine will have a super easy life. It'll be a lucky thing if I can even get a Model A rolling chassis to mount it on. It'll probably just run on a stand. I'm in it for $1800 so far which I guess is pretty cheap for these things. If it's going to destroy my engine I'll get it done. I'd seriously eat a bullet if I killed this engine. No idea what it could run to get a crank balanced but if it needs doing, it'll get done.

2. I called around and found a shop for $225 if they don't run into bullshit. Cheap insurance. I'll do it.

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

Have the flywheel and clutch assembly done too. Price seems high, check around some more

4. Garpo

Garpo

Sometimes you can be lucky and find the reground crank and oversize pistons just work well together. Sometimes not.
    It is a lot of work to strip an engine for balancing after assembly.
    I have always spent the money to have the whole assembly balanced.
    Nice when someone notices and comments about how sweet it runs.

Truck64 likes this.