Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1957 Chevrolet -History/Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pkhammer, May 24, 2021.

1. pkhammer

pkhammer

I'm sure there has been plenty of threads on Tri-Five Chevys but what about just the '57? Growing up in rural Virginia my very first memory of a fast car was a local '57 Chevy. I would've been about 5 years old and seeing that car with it's mag wheels and dual exhaust roaring down the road ignited my passion for old cars and hot rods.
    I grew up not as a Chevy guy but more of a Ford (pickup) guy and a closet Mopar fan but I've always had a thing for the '57 Chevy. In my opinion the '57 Chevy is the epitome of car design that represents the 50's era. It's the first car I look at at local cruise-ins and the first car I think of when I'm at a drive-in or even listening to 50's music.
    I've also heard that the '57 Chevy was never meant to be but ended up as a one-year fill in while the '58 was being tooled up. Can anyone verify that story?
    Let's see some pics of your 57 Chevys!!

thehazguy, bowie, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve read the same thing; the 57 should never have happened. I believe it also had to do with metal shortage not just tooling. The tooling doesn’t make sense to me because not many of the body, trim, dash, etc are near the 55-56 so there was a lot of external tooling even tho the firewall, floor pan, etc were the same or close enough. The weird thing is the 57 had to be on the drawing board since late 54. It’s always 3 years in the making for USA vehicles and bean counters.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thank gawd those engineers forgot what a 54 looked like when designing the 57.
    My second car in high school circa 1970.
    First shot is how it looked when bought, I couldn't wait to get started transforming it into a hot rod like the ones I had been seeing in magazines since the mid 60's.
    The first mod was to replace the Fenton shifted three speed with a Hurst "C" handled Borg/Warner
    T-10, then the Cragar wheels came next.
    The appliance headers and Holley carb were next, that really woke up the 1964 283 which was pretty tired, next were the homemade Lakewood (copies) traction bars, this led to a string of axle and rearend repairs which resulted in the last third member being replaced with 4.11's, this made that tired 283 feel like a new 327.
    That bland beige paint needed to go so the yellow/white paint was the next change, this was inspired by an original paint 57 BelAir that I had been seeing around my area driven by an elderly woman.
    I had been infatuated with the hood scoop on Bill Jenkins Camaro so a friend helped me pop off a fiberglass scoop from one bought at the local speed shop that we carefully taped up so it could me returned. After cutting out the opening it was then bonded onto a spare hood then the flame job came next, it was my first attempt at (rattle can) painting, to this day I'm still pretty proud of the outcome.

20160627_105056.jpg

20160322_174901.jpg

Last edited: May 24, 2021
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

I agree on the 57 is the best of the Tri-5, 55/56/57 Chevy, which many survived compared to the Ford Tri-5 I believe Ford outsold them but you'll see Chevy's 5-10 to one Ford here in Midwest/Wi. My first car was a 57 210 2 door, then 56 Belair ragtop, 58 Impala ragtop, 64 impala SS, 65 Impala SS, so I'm a Chevy/GM guy, some other brands also. All through the years a loyal GM guy and will say some of it was just junk, Warranty/Service/Mr Goodwrench my ass.

5. Since you mentioned '57 chevys and you hail from VA...…….

Window sticker from a car club I was a member of back in the 80's.
    vcl sticker.jpg

And two '57 with a full moon rising.

IMG_0701.jpg

6. [​IMG]
    Did someone say 57 Chevy?
    [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These could be called baby pictures.
    [​IMG]

8. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

Mine from High School in the middle of a engine change.
    57.jpg

9. pkhammer

pkhammer

That first '57 Chevy i saw when I was five (1968) turned out to be owned by the Father of a guy that ended up being one of my best friends in school. Last name Hammer like me but no relation. That orange '57 had a 427 4-speed with two fours. Was the hottest thing around at the time. A neighbor that lived on a farm next door had a '57 Nomad and another friend down the road, his older brother had a beautiful black '57 BelAir. I would sit on the porch swing as a kid watching these cars go by. I've owned a lot of cars and trucks in the past 42 years but never a '57 Chevy.

thehazguy and Deuces like this.
  10. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

That was over 50 years ago.

thehazguy and wicarnut like this.
  11. pkhammer

pkhammer

Indeed. I guess that sounds better than a half century ago. :oops:

thehazguy and Deuces like this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm posting this for any new guys that haven't seen my prior posts on this car (not mine).
    I have been seriously attracted to 150 two door sedans and wagons since the days of owning my 57 BelAir, though I never have owned either one.
    This photo was taken over twenty years ago, it's a car that I saw maybe two or three times a year at most, but never did see it parked prior to this, I always saw it being driven by an elderly lady, the thing was in near pristine condition.
    One day this beauty was parked in front of my house when I got home from work. I nearly s#/t my pants while running into the house to get my camera.
    I only got this one photo because the batteries in the camera died after only one shot and when I came back out with fresh batteries it was gone, must have been visiting the older neighbor lady across the street, she moved shortly after this, never saw the car again. 20160628_175619.jpg

:mad:

thehazguy, alfin32, rbrewer and 8 others like this.
  13. It was a vision! Note the bent rear bumper and non stock rear view mirror. Also, it is not a utility sedan, the rear window is rolled down.

thehazguy, rbrewer and Deuces like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fords engine was the downfall even tho when both were new the 55 Chevrolet V8’s had many problems, Fords were more suspect in their oil problems. Ford did not recommend detergent oil because it didn’t have hydraulic lifters and the GM engines did. This was a major sticking point. Fords that did use detergent oil lasted a hell of a lot longer probably by good luck. The Y’s head design may have been great in theory but not to a racer. Chevrolet also kept the same block for over 30 years and the Y was essentially done in 4 years. And totally gone in 10.
    In 58 everything was starting to get big....vehicles and engines. Many in this country were brand specific folks.. it will always be that way.

15. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

thehazguy, lothiandon1940 and Deuces like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Bob, thanks for that.
    I've seen the cover of that guide for years but never the contents, man if I was immersed in these cars as many are I would read every word in it, very interesting.
    I only did a quick scan of it and as with most people I've known these cars as the "Black Widow" but I did not see it mentioned in the guide, anyone know who actually penned the name?

I only skimmed the article linked below but it appears to be pretty comprehensive.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/features/car-features/the-1957-chevrolet-black-widow/

thehazguy, rbrewer and Bob Lowry like this.
  17. April 23, 1957 NASCAR rewrote the rules to establish 4 barrel carburetors only. Fuel injected cars modified under the stock car guide were now all dressed up with nowhere to race, hence the ''widow'' name.
    Building one today per the guide would be tough. The 6 lug hubs and matching spindles were not truck pieces. They were special parts made for the 6 and 8 door airport limos. How I'd like to find one of those to part out!

18. .................Great story, Steve. I had never heard this before.........Don.

19. $300 special back in the 80's.

57 WAGON.jpg

thehazguy, alfin32, rbrewer and 6 others like this.
  20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

My dad was at the Chevy dealership in 1957. He was looking at the brand new 57s and ready to order a two door, hard top, 210, Plum with black/silver interior. It would have a 283-4 three on the tree with OD, dual exhaust. He also ordered the heavy duty suspension with quick steering. He ordered the Hi Fidelity radio package..
    But when he called my mom about it she had some news for him, I was on the way... He canceled the new Chevy and bought a nice dark blue 54 Belair with only 9000 miles on it..

21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I get off on... E951ED5F-9A83-46FF-A92D-485F22DF9D66.jpeg E08AF079-8C52-47CE-8FCF-9DDDAD544934.jpeg 3643E26B-1EFD-4059-88C8-637AC4A86F08.jpeg CF80D218-F6DE-426A-85B8-CE225A103034.jpeg 275F73B1-74CF-4690-8FAE-D3553D22B722.jpeg B84729DE-64BC-4076-B10D-39524166F9E9.jpeg

thehazguy, alfin32, 40LUV and 9 others like this.
  22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey chevy57dude! Post up your killer beauty!

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    thehazguy, chevy57dude and Deuces like this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

That 57 is so nice!!!

It needs those black rubber bullets in the front bumper..

I would remove all those floor mats though. They speed up floor corrosion...
    [​IMG]

thehazguy, Deuces and bowie like this.
  25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pair of tits for her and an old Cal Custom tube grill. Just haven’t found time to do the install. As to my old Caddy floor mat... she stays pretty dry. Glad you like her, thanks! 5322BD1C-51F1-41A7-B947-7D20014FF5DF.jpeg

thehazguy, Deuces, rbrewer and 3 others like this.
  26. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NASCAR was not picking on Chevrolet when this happened. Fords had 20 more cubic inches and a SUPERCHARGER, Pontiac’s, Oldsmobiles, Mercury’s, and all Mopars had bigger engines with multiple carbs and all the speeds were dangerous on the available tires. They had to do something.

thehazguy, Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  27. Yes, you are right. The Chevy's just got stuck with the name.
    June 6, 1957 the hammer really fell when the Automobile Manufacturers Association formally banned auto racing. Then the games began, that's for sure.

thehazguy, Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. egads

egads

Mine. Nothing special but a fun driver. P7220261.JPG

thehazguy, LOST ANGEL, Deuces and 9 others like this.
  29. Packrat

Packrat

30. Packrat

Packrat