Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Say “Why And”

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, May 22, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hi, my name is Root and I have a fetish for weird speed equipment.

I have started lusting for a 2x4 Weiand (say Why And) for a SBC. I know they aren’t super rare, but I like the quirky stuff.

A few questions.

1. Anyone know the story behind the casting of that phrase? I mean I get why, but we’re they trying to develop a market presence? We’re they new to the speed equipment world or had they been in business prior to this and they thought it would be funny?

2. When did this happen exactly? What year or era?

3. Do they usually have the small foot print carbs, like the WCFB or the later?

They say you have to admit you have a problem first before you can start to heal.
    Consider the Hamb my 12 step.

Thanks,

Root

2. I think they were just showing the proper pronunciation of their last name. A lot of names are mispronounced and it sticks.
    Think, Porsche it’s Porshuh not porsh.
    Bayer aspirin is buyer not bare.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  3. partssaloon

partssaloon

That was his name, Paul Weiand

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yeah, there were and still are a lot of people mis pronouncing weiand. a lot of people call it "weeee and" and some call it "while and" I don't understand how they got an L in it.... I am pretty sure based on ads I have seen in magazines that "say why and" ran from 1960- 68.

people screw up Crower just as bad, I just saw a craigslist ad for a set of "crowler" roller rockers....

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Phil Weiand

6. " El de Brock" slays me.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think the logo was used past '68 as I had a Weiand tunnel ram for my BBC that had the same logo. Also a Weiand crossram for a SBC with the same logo.

Roothawg likes this.
  9. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

could very well be. I have a say why and crossram on my BBC flat bottom drag boat
    july2boat.JPG

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Root, I love block letter Weiand stuff and judging by the prices, so do others. My WAG is that they were getting a little more popular and the pronunciation was confused so it was a great way to "educate" as part of a marketing strategy.

You can find adapters (Eelcos are still out there) to mount other carbs (AFBs, etc.). Offenhouser makes spacer adapters, too, which are just just like the originals. I don't know if Weiand ever made carburetor adapters of their own.

In searching for Weiand over the years I've noticed in many for sale ads that folks assume the Say-Why-And stuff is the earlier stuff but from what I can tell, that's not so... the block letter castings are. The castings improved over a short time, too.

Roothawg and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Running a “Say it” single 4 intake in my ‘33. No other reason other than it was different / I already had it / it wasn’t an Ekel-Brock. Was running a matching waterpump till it started leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

That boat gives me a stiffy....(in my best Beavis and Butthead voice)

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the made in mexico spelling.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had a pair of ot for here black wrinkle Weiand valve covers on my T bucket when the Black wrinkle thing was the newest hot lick. I think I had them on four engines before they went away with a car that I sold.

15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Deuces likes this.
  17. Me too

Problem is you're in a group of the same type of people......that don't want to change. :)

18. I occasionally say that. Don’t know why, I know the correct way. It just depends on how fast I’m talking or how into the conversation I am.

Deuces and chevy57dude like this.
  19. ray

ray
    from colorado

I ran a why-and 2x4 for a couple of years. after putting it on a fresh engine which "should" have made 100 more HP, the car ran the exact same time. i decided the car being actually fast was more important than looking cool, so i swapped for an elderbrock air gap dual quad, and got that 100 hp back. the weiand was not a great manifold, poor cylinder distribution, poor idle quality. would run hot at low cruise with progressive linkage due to the distribution problem. back to being a wall-hangar with the other old "speed" parts.

at least the old block letter valve covers don't cost me power.

loudbang, Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  20. patsurf

patsurf

and yet ANOTHER spelling!

bathcollector, Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

I kinda wondered about that.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  22. twenty8

twenty8

Thanks man. Just wasted about 5 minutes checking the spelling of Weiand...................and then I saw it...:confused::confused::confused:

loudbang, Roothawg and Deuces like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Any pics of these items?

Bones

Deuces likes this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

Yep! Pics or it never happened....:D;)

25. I can’t speak for all Weiand intakes,,,,but I remember back in the mid to late 80’s,,,,they had the Power Ram,,,,,it was a single 4 barrel intake,,,,,it was the hot setup around these parts .
    Several guys here had them on SBC,,,,,extremely powerful engines,,,,,that intake seemed to really bring them alive .
    Made small blocks run like big blocks,,,,,they really responded to a lot of camshaft,,,,and ported heads with big valves .

And of course I have a Weiand Hi-Ram tunnel ram on my 440 ,,,,,it always seemed like a bad son of a gun .
    And it has the same ingredients,,,,,a lot of cam,,,,,heavily ported heads with big valves,,,,and two 750’s .
    I can’t say one bad word against the Weiand product line myself .

Tommy

loudbang, Deuces and Roothawg like this.
  26. greybeard360

greybeard360

It always cracked me up when you opened up their linkage kits for multiple carbs. Across the top of the instruction sheet said

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS READ DIRECTIONS

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep. My motto for life.

loudbang, Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. 21,000 posts since 2001 and your just now asking this ? Wait I see a pattern.......

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

Coming from a guy with almost 10,000 posts since 2009. I also see a pattern Hoss.

Thor1, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  30. ray

ray
    from colorado

courtesy of my neighbor. he was telling me about the Elderbrock and Weeand parts on the truck he's working on with his son. i sez "i got something to show you" and popped the hood and explained the why-and logo. now he corrects himself on weiand. his 16 year old son had also been trying to correct him. i let the elderbrock slide for now. maybe edelbrock needs a mascot: Ed L. Brock.

High test 63, Deuces and Roothawg like this.