Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pilothouse gasser

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RattyDodge52, May 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. RattyDodge52

RattyDodge52

I've been rolling around an idea to build a gasser out of my 1952 dodge pickup. I've search for pictures and builds buy haven't found anything in that bodystyle of pickup. Already has a straight axle under it. Modify the stock frame or build new is where I'm at.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and wraymen like this.
  2. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Do it! Should be able to keep the axle probably need to replace the kingpins. I got rid of my original axle (next body style dodge) in 1999 and regret it.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless the frame is damaged I don't see the need to change frames. Those Dodges were tougher than an old army boot so unless you are putting in mega hp I don't see the need to do a lot of frame mods.
    If you are wanting to jack the front end up re-arching the springs will get the front end up enough if you don't go crazy on height. That being similar to what the 4x4 guys do with leaf springs.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Probably has a dropped axle under it, since it's sitting level now. If you put a straight axle under it, the nose will go up several inches, giving it the cartoon look of a modern "gasser".

Whether or not you should do it...who knows? If you're trying to figure out how to have some fun with an old Dodge truck, doing this is probably as good a way as any...

LOST ANGEL and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to be picky it’s not a “pilot house” sorry but you need the corner windows. How ever it is the “beer drinker” model. Cops can’t see you tip one back.
    I put in a 60 361 Chrysler and Torqueflight in my 53 in 1967 and out ran the brakes...

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  6. Budget36

Budget36

Try heavy coil over shocks, will raise the front up a few inches. I went that route with my ‘57 Chevy PU to keep the front up for better transfer. I’d tried the 90/10 shocks and the ride was less than enjoyable. But if you plan a “race truck” then go with a straight axle, etc.

7. guitarguy

guitarguy

Not so much a gasser, but this one runs a 605 Cu In Hemi.

upload_2021-5-22_15-40-24.png