Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods NHRA Moving Out Of California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, May 19, 2021.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I think you mean Mike Dunn, son of Jim .

Peter Nowak, mad mikey and Turnipseed like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Someone please Q in the: "Let's go to the hop" video.. I would if I could... I can't so I won't...:(

mad mikey likes this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I think what you are saying is bring back grass roots racing. Just like it used to be, you or maybe a couple of guys get together and build a car to race, or you race your driver car. Back when there were rules to safely race, but it was pretty much anything goes. No brackets or handicaps to equal everything out. No weights other than maybe a minimum. As long as you and your car were safe, you could run as much as you want. Everything was heads up, the first car to the stripe wins, barring a red light jump.

Sounds like some of the no prep racing going on now. Not the race cars disguised as street cars, but real street driven cars. And for the full race vehicles, pretty much the same thing, have to qualify to a certain time or slower. Heads up, No boxes, no timers, all driver.
    Something exciting.

Doesn’t matter where NHRA relocates to, unless they look back at their history and see where they came from, they are doomed to failure. You can’t keep screwing your racers and disappointing your fans and expect to stay in business.....

4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I think Kentucky is beautiful, than almost all states have some beautiful parts. A couple of states don’t and you know who you are.lol

5. Been racing since 1965...Jungle Jim was right! Their 4 wide shows remind me of the Bill Donner era in Southern California ... nothing but a clown show.

mad mikey and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. Special Ed

Special Ed

That's odd ... "I'm told" that YOUR state sucks ... :rolleyes:

MCjim, K13 and Nitroholic like this.
  7. RmK57

RmK57

Ah yes, Bill Donner. 64 Funny cars at Seattle. It was a fiberglass forest in the staging lanes!

Been a few times....48 hour non-stop party.

mad mikey likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

I wish I could find gas for that price! I’ve lived in Ca off and on my whole life, I don’t bitch about politics, etc. I just live here;)

I do hate (maybe a strong word) seeing companies leave for other areas, but it’s been like that since the mid 80’s that I can recall. All the Semiconductor manufacturers moving out of the Bay Area for tax incentives, etc elsewhere.
    Thing is I’ve stayed here pretty much because of family. Now that I’ve gotten older and very little family around anymore (except my kids mainly) I don’t have the get up and go, to get up and go anywhere! Lol.
    I lost a great career in the mid 2000’s because I didn’t want to relocate to New Mexico, damn, could have been retired by now on easy street.

9. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve been to Ky for about as long as a it takes to drink a cup of coffee;). That’s a beautiful green state. I spent two weeks in the area about 3 years ago.

10. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Being from Indiana I am sure they will be welcomed. The have their reasons I am sure for moving (enough to offset the winter weather considerations) and too bad in regards to the California hot rod history.

11. We who race old nostalgia and historic race cars rule!! We work for it, sacrifice for it and give fans one hell of a show. I have no interest in NHRA modern drag racing, and on tv? It gets boring real quick. Just my opinion, I could care less were they move to.

12. You are correct