Register now to get rid of these ads!

I was at one of my FAVORITE places today ( junkyard photos )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

They have three of them ...
    Just look at the late model stuff it just mashed ...

They set the older stuff aside ... for awhile ... ;)

2. Ever looked at a junk yard owner? They always look like they got plenty of time.........but very little smarts.

Matter of fact, I haven't met a junk yard owner yet that I feel safe around. They always look like they got a buried torture chamber somewhere and they are just waiting for the right moment to "invite" you in.:eek:

Thanks for sharing the pics.[/quote]

HEY!! Be nice..:D

Torture chamber.. good idea. might be better than shooting someone and chucking their ass in the wash. :eek:

Most yard owners (except me) are multi-millionaires and have grown out of saving everything forever. You guys in areas where yards over a few acres exist should be happy as hell.
    Buy it or dont complain when its gone.
    If that stuff was closer, I would buy up as much as I could.
    In some states its alot easier to open a wrecking yard. you guys need to get together and spend a few 100 thousand bucks and save those cars!!!!

3. Most everything you have seen will end up here ... sooner or later. These guys mash over 100 cars a day ... 5 days a week. He has about 60 acres of cars/parts.

THis guy is clearing between 20-30,000 bucks a day with that volume.

Unless he has that many coming in all day, he will run out soon. about 150 cars covers an acre. So the old stuff will go soon. REAL SOON.

4. repoman

repoman

Yes, many guys who were in it at the right time, and managed things right have done very well. Now put yourself in the shoes of a multi-millionaire sitting on a bunch of old tin that nobody wanted until recently, the EPA is up his ass with a dozen different probes, and some tattoed punk tries to beg him to sit on the cars for another 10 years after they sat for 50.

I bet many of them do think about building torture chambers!

Here's a guy who actually DID something about saving his favorite cars. He a fuckin' hero:

http://pontiacheaven.org/about pontiac heaven.htm

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

He buys cars and scrap metal everyday ...
    He has 3 or 4 tractor trailers running everyday.
    The other " car mashers " are out and around ... mashing cars cleaning up the other salvage yards ... :rolleyes: The hundred cars a day he mashes ... are not even included in what happens elsewhere by his crews ...
    The price of steel is up so he stays busy ...

If you met him on the street or in a cafe ... you would almost think " he's homeless " by his appearance ... :)

6. squirrell451

squirrell451
    from Sacramento

damn I wanna go

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Not really, get up in the mountains of PA and you'll see them just as much

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Most of the junkys I've seen are also sure that everyone that comes into their yard is stealing everything from them--the irony is that, through crushing vintage vehicles indiscriminately, they screw themselves worse than 100 people stealing parts ever could!

9. I made the trip from the upstate to buy the front clip from the Chevy II,,,,Randy took me on a quick tour behind the main shop and man the sun gets HOT and humid in that part of the state but there a lotta usable stuff sitting around!

And when I saw the owner I thought he was just one of the yard workers,,,I think he works harder than his help! HRP

10. lone wolf

lone wolf

i love to have one on the falcon ragtops for parts, anybody know what this is?

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I believe it is a Packard ambulance ... :)
    Used at Fort Jackson SC ... years ago

Randy

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

WOW some cool cars just rotting away I would like to have any of them falcon ragtops for the kids..

13. RFH1931

RFH1931

I will have to get together with you and lets go there some Saturday. OK ?

14. Sauli

Sauli

OMG!!!The guy has a ´51 Merc Coupe shell with doors no less, pretty solid and complete-looking ´61,´63 and ´64 Galaxie RAGTOPS and who knows what else (As a chevy guy, I see a picked-over´60 Impala more-door I´d like to strip...) sitting on his lot and You´re saying he´s "Crushing stuff"...Somehow I find those two things extremely disturbing in the same context...Someone please inform this guy what his stuff is worth on eGay and have him sell the damn crusher for scrap and retire...I see Your post is over two yrs old...What´s the status of this lot today? I´m interested. Taking a trip over to the Eastern US in two weeks myself, so I´m interested...

15. I have been to that location and even bought a few parts from them,,,,good guy to deal with,,,

send Deuce Roadster a private message,,,he is close to that location. HRP

16. DaxxRuckus

DaxxRuckus

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

They are still OPEN ... six days a week :)

Buying and crushing cars ...
    The business has been going on for at least 35 years ...

[​IMG]

I have not been there in a couple months ... but a friend was there last Friday. He bought a 58 Ford rear end ... complete from a junky old Ranchero. That are other places like this here in the Southern United States ... but with the price of scrap being what it is ... the stuff is slowly but surely going to the crusher :eek:

Temple's Auto Parts
    7303 Two Notch Rd.
    Batesburg SC

803-657-5858

This yard is about 30 miles from Columbia SC ... the capital of South Carolina ... and is close to three Interstate Highways ... I-20, I-26 and I-77. I-95 is about 60 miles away also.

He is no fool ... he knows parts ... and goes to a few swap meets ... but he is so busy ... he cannot save them all . So stuff gets crushed

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

amazing... there is nothing like that here in the S.F. bay area.

if that junk yard were teleported over here all those cars would be picked clean within a couple months.

19. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

If someone ois doing a roadtrip, I'd be interested in this hood:
    [​IMG]

OR ...are any of you coming to the HAMB drags?

20. PoPo

PoPo

the tractor doesnt worry me about as bad as the CRUSHER back there!!!!!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOO

21. dmvandre

dmvandre

do they have any 53 54 2 door bel air trim i see you have the 4 door pictured.could you let me know and what price would be thanks David

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used to like that place but never really found anything I need. Flamedabone and I would run up there and load a bunch of shitty engines and other stuff into my truck

Hey Abone, how are you getting your parts home now that I am not there to use my new chevy truck...

23. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

no doubt.. that kind of stuff out here in the bay area is worth a lot. there is that old yard in richmond off of richmond parkway. but that stuff is realy high in price.

24. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

the pic of that 63 olds convert makes me want to pay shipping for some body parts if its still around.

25. mink

mink
    from CT

seems to me theres more South. Just a question here i have been to 1 out of 10 it seems that alowed me to sign a waiver and search on my own . in all the other yards you had to holld the owners had as you searched.

it it the same out of ct ?

26. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I do not believe you have to sign anything to LOOK ... as long as you tell the man you are looking for a XXX ... :)

I have never had a problem with him ... but then I dealt with his father and his grandfather before him. I remember when the current guy was just a kid ... maybe a young teenager ...

I used to buy a good bit of stuff from the place.
    As a older, less active ... only messing with a 32 Ford type of fellow ...
    I have not needed a lot of his parts. I did buy a few 40 Ford parts off a old junker for my 40 Ford coupe ...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  27. mink

mink
    from CT

these guys charged a buck , you had to leave you license and sign a waiver. got to search as long as i pleased. alot of import though

28. DMC

DMC
    from SC

Deuce Roadster and I went over to the FAVORITE spot yesterday to get a rear end for my 39 Ford coupe. Just as DR said there were plenty and they were exactly as he described them. I don't know if I ever saw so much old treasures in one place. It was like going back in time. Within 20 minutes of getting there we found the one I needed. The only reason it probably took 20 minutes is because I kept stopping to look at stuff. We went back to the office and told them which one we wanted. They said they would have it out in no time. I even found a set of big backing plates and drums for the 9 inch. We loaded up and went to eat BBQ and chicken and man was it good! By the time we returned the rear end was ready to go in the back of the truck. This was a fun day and I enjoyed spending the day with DR. This guy is a wealth of knowledge. Remember folks, if Deuce Roadster tells you something BELIEVE him there are still parts to be had if you look in the right places!:D

29. screwball

screwball

I didnt check how old this thread was untill I saw Tingler had posted. Man I miss his presence.

30. jlwilliams598

jlwilliams598
    from Tennessee

Is the place still open? Traveling that way in two weeks...