Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Top Tips for Rusty Bolt Removal. No hype, jeopardy or clickbait. Just hints and tips.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, May 16, 2021.

1. Mart

Mart

You might already know all or some of these techniques. All I can say is "they worked for me". Hopefully there might be someone that views this that does see something that will help them on a similar job. Mart.

fauj, Truck64, SPEC and 8 others like this.
  2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Good tip here: cut the bolt that extends down beyond the threads off so you don't try to bring the rusty part back up through the threads. Wish I'd thought of this myself. Lots of times a loose bolt has re-jammed itself on the rust while bringing it out of the threads. Thanks, Mart!

Truck64, Pats55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Mart is great at showing and explaining little tips and tricks! I've learned a lot from him.
    Another method I've used many times, is to thread a die nut onto the protruding threads. This cleans up the threads for easy removal. First thread the die nut on in the usual manner, then remove it a start it from the opposite side (flat side) and run it up to get the few threads the chamfered side of the die nut couldn't get.
    Works well for those times when you want to save the bolts, or if there is no room for cutting them off.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    continentaljohn and stillrunners like this.
  4. I love Mart’s videos....Good tips and hilarious.....

stillrunners likes this.

5. My neighbour was trying to remove the rusty bolts holding the bed onto his truck frame. They were long carriage bolts and when applying force with a bar he spun the carriage head. He asked me for any tips while also mentioning that access was limited so he couldn't just cut the nut off. I remembered a tip I learned on the Hamb about heating up the nut and applying candle wax to it while hot. It sounded pretty hokey to me but I said try it and see. He phoned me up later and said it worked like a hot damn. So there you are- the Hamb at work.

6. big john d

big john d
    from ma

acetone and atf 50=50 only mix what you will use as the acetone will dry up even in a closed container this works pretty much as good as any store bought penetrating oil for a lot less

continentaljohn and Peter Nowak like this.
  7. Beat me to it Big john.

8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

9. SPEC

SPEC

Another great video.

10. Paulz

Paulz

Inductive bolt heater. Have one at work, works great.

11. Out of curiosity because I've never owned or used one, but have any of guys had good luck with 'nut splitters'?

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My "go to" is Kroil. If that doesn't work then it is the hot wrench.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  13. Liddykitty

Liddykitty

F490D940-7FE3-4336-BE3C-B1631EEC058E.jpeg

Seriously tho, normally PB blaster does the job for me. Wire brushing the threads dosent hurt if you can get too them.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  14. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Go to the health food store and get a little bottle of oil of wintergreen. Get a little syringe and put a few drops on the nut or whatever and come back later. Report back. But be aware your shop will smell like pine trees. Lippy

Truck64 likes this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

16. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Methyl Salicylate. That's the same stuff that gives Marvel's Mystery Oil the odor it has, it is a very good penetrating oil. Mixed with light solvents, that's how it frees gummed up or varnished rings and lifters and valve stems.

I can't understand why Kano/Kroil is only available mail order? They should maybe make it easier for people to give them their money?

17. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Local motion and flow ( Parker store ) sells it here in meridian ID..

Stuff is not cheap...

Worth every penny !

Sent from my SM-G973U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

As a toolmaker for 30 years we had to deal with broken bolts and such. Some good tips Mart and love your videos.
    These days I use Kroil and was turned on by my buddy Jerry. He brought me a car of Kano Kroil and Silkroil and was very skeptical. Wow crazy how well this works and threw away my PB blaster and ordered a few more cans of Kroil. This stuff is amazing

AHotRod likes this.