Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Correct fluid for 1965 Ford Econoline van rear differential?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mystery_Machinist, May 20, 2021.

1. Hey everyone, new here. Been restoring a 65 econoline for the past few months, and right now Im swapping out the drum brakes for disc brakes. In order to fully remove the drum brakes, housing, etc, I have to pull out the rear axles, so I figure I might as well drain out the fluid while Im in there and fill it with fresh stuff. Can anyone tell me what weight oil it would take? My best guess is something like a 75w or something in that ballpark, but it would be awesome if anybody knew for sure what the correct answer was. Thanks in advance!

Truck64 likes this.
  2. 75w-90 will work just fine for you.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Truck64 likes this.
  3. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

And Ford friction modifier if it’s a traction lock.

Truck64 likes this.
  4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The closest reference I have is for the 1968 Econoline, and it says all conventional diffs use C6AZ-19580-B while all limited slip diffs use C6AZ-19580-C

The former cross references to an 80W90 gear oil, I didn't check into the latter part number.

Truck64 likes this.

5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Zoinks Dude! You need the like, owners manual and it will tell you exactly what it wants.

kevinrevin, warbird1 and jimmy six like this.
  6. triumph 1

triumph 1

75w90 gear oil will be fine. Like others have mentioned; if it’s a traction lock ( I would be surprised) add limited slip additive.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Truck64 and 57 Fargo like this.
  7. Thank you all for the info! I have been trying to hunt down a manual for it, but so far no luck.

At the risk of sounding kind of dumb, how would I figure out whether its a limited slip?

8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

If the original tag is on the original rear axle, it will tell you if the diff is ltd slip. Among the numbers will be recorded the rear axle ratio.
    As an example, a 3.25:1 open diff will be marked 3.25 on the tag.
    A 3.25:1 ltd slip diff will be marked 3L.25 on the tag. The L indicates limited slip.

To check manually, put the van in neutral and jack up one wheel. With an open diff, the raised tire (along with the driveshaft) will turn easily.
    With a ltd slip, it will be difficult to turn the raised tire since the ltd slip unit will try to turn the tire that's still on the ground.

Truck64 likes this.