Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Do you think this intake is ok ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carolina chevrolet, May 15, 2021.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

It's got a second hole in the block for the water pump.(pass. side) so it's a '68 or newer block i think.
    InkedIMG_20210515_195025427_LI.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

They all have that bypass hole.

but now that you mention it, looks like it might have a 400 damper on it? recessed area near the back of the outer ring

3. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

That left cylinder head has me suspecting somethings goofy.
    IIRC early heads with no accessory holes have as-cast finish, that machined smooth 'tower' looks like it should have a bolt hole in it. So mismatched heads then? But I' no SBC expert.

Paint work has me suspecting the car in general, wiper plate was not removed and painted over, steering box/column was also over sprayed, MC pushrod oversprayed. Seems like a lot of sloppy painting. Missing bolt for the battery tray?

I never trust an engine with those cheap Edelbrock chromed valve covers(every parts store has a set on the shelf) or those gawdawful Edelbrock foam air cleaners. That's the kinda crap people buy to dress up an engine. Just look at the hardware, those VCs were slapped on.

That car was somebodies project and didn't know or care what they were doing.
    Unless that car is a steal, I suspect it will need a lot of un-fucking to get it reliably road worthy.

Deuces likes this.
  4. carolina chevrolet

carolina chevrolet

The casting number on both heads is 3876775.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Those numbers are for: '60-'67, 283-327. 1.72 intakes and 1.5 exhaust.
    Think the last number is actually a 5 and not a 6....?

indyjps likes this.
  6. indyjps

indyjps

Im seeing 3876775 as 1960-7 283 327 1.72 valve, not finding a match on 3876776.

If @427 sleeper is correct with the water neck riser being for a grain truck......most had steel cranks. The small valve heads make sense with grain truck.

Every grain truck engine Ive had was steel crank with great bores and very worn bearings.

See if it runs, check compression and oil pressure, go from there.

7. indyjps

indyjps

I like where this is going, hot rod farmer with 383's in the grain trucks. A farmer in my hometown was also a circle track racer, his grain trucks usually ended up with worn out claimer short blocks with pop up pistons and 882 heads. There was a claimer class that required factory heads and he'd port and build 882's all winter. I took him at least 20 sets of 882's. He was paying $10 a head.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think if it had a 400 dampener on it Jim, the stock front engine mount brackets would have to have been butchered up to fit the dampener (really large diameter dampener). Even the large 350 dampeners need the mounts to be modified for clearance. That "line" on the dampener does confuse things. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Frame off restoration?

Considering the condition of the visible parts of the engine, I have to wonder how the rest of the "restoration" was done.

MAD MIKE and Deuces like this.