Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac Sprint OHC 6 found in a junkyard.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robb's Classics, May 14, 2021.

1. Robb's Classics

Robb's Classics

So, I went to the junkyard looking for parts for my Subaru. Walking around I see an old looking engine. Get close and see PMD Overhead Cam on the valve cover. So I got it for $100. I've done some research, and I have appears to be the highest performance one with a Qjet. The only problem is I know nothing about them, so want some info. It appears to be complete. I'm just happy I was able to save it from getting melted down.

Attached Files:

2. Had a buddy with one in a Firebird. They are cool and fairly unique!

jaracer likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

H...6 means August 1966 casting date.

Neat find. Now you can buy an old car to build around this engine :) although first you'd want to see if it turns, or if the cylinders are rusted up, and also if the cam and housing are useable.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell it for $101 before you spend 10 times that...:rolleyes:

5. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I am glad you saved it rather than going to the crusher to make 20 Toyota's out of it.

6. Cool motors for sure , installing one in my 34 chev pick up , parts are expensive , sure run smooth though . 20190308_203511.jpg 20190308_131527.jpg

7. They are a long motor as well because of the valve cover length . Had a 250 installed in the truck before I came across this engine and had to recess the firewall 6 inches .

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Bravo!! You saved an unusual and worthy old engine. Years ago I was considering using one with a 4 spd for my '62 Tempest project but I ran across a deal on a 400 V8 instead. I've always liked them and thought they would be a great engine for a hot rod project.

9. How about 250.00 for power steering brackets
    Seems cheap to me ☹

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Installed one in a T-37 back in the late 70’s. Ok performance and reliable. There was a online group just for those engines a few years back. I bought another engine a few years back and bought a header from a group member. Lots of good info on there if it’s still around

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

How about fabricate your own for a little bit of nothing ?

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Had one in a Firebird with a Powerglide, went about 80 in low.

Will it fit in the Subaru?

13. Squablow

Squablow

I've heard some internal parts for these are not reproduced, so some engines can't be rebuilt unless those components are good, or if good used ones can be sourced. At the very least, this one has the front cover intact and the optional 4 barrel setup, which you could sell for way more than you paid for the whole thing. Should tear it down and see what it looks like inside.

14. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

That's pretty cool. It's interesting how American manufacturers dabbled in OHC over the years but never caught on.

I've never had much luck with any engine that has been left outside and allowed to have water ingested, at least as far as many useable parts other than head and block etc.

15. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Clean it up, make a static display if it’s too far gone internally

Mr48chev and bchctybob like this.
  16. That’s a score !!
    Is it seized or does it at least turn over ?

it’s a fantastic engine that is held in high regard in inline circles.

I looked for one years ago for a project but anything that came up for sale here that was complete and rebuildable was selling in the 800-1000 buck range :confused:

too rich for my blood but they run smooth and have great power.

for 100 bucks even if the block is toast you can sell off all the ancillary parts and make some decent bread.

17. Wrench97

Wrench97

I had one is a 66 Lemans, was kind of a dog compared to 400 that replaced it :)

Blues4U and Deuces like this.
  18. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm with Nochop.

Cool enough engine that if it were unsavable I'd definitely make a display motor out of it...

chryslerfan55, bchctybob and Deuces like this.
  19. Was going to make my own alt bracket , but then I couldn't be included with the group that builds their cars with credit cards

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

What was the name of the model car kit that used one of the Pontiac OHC engines; car had a chromed "helmet" for a roof, and everything else was chromed out, or painted red metalic? Had a Maltese cross on the roof. Definitely a different sort of engine to build. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

chryslerfan55, bchctybob and Deuces like this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They were quite an engine in the mid to late sixties. Part of Pontiac's performance program, to give the six cylinder buyer something better. Based on the Chevy inline six with new OHC head, the first mass produced engine with belt driven OHC. The 4 barrel engine like you have, often installed in Tempest and Firebird, gave performance like a small V8 with the gas economy of a six. They got better mileage than a Chevy six and a lot more power.
    Most of them were yanked out and replaced with a big V8, or simply junked when the car wore out. Jay Leno is restoring one in a 1968 Firebird. Says they give small block like performance and better handling because of less weight over the front wheels, giving better weight distribution.
    Leno's restoration blog, Firebird segment starts 10 minutes in.
    Have heard some parts like rocker arms are hard to find. Leno had a set made for his, maybe he could tell you where to get them.
    It would make a really cool and unique engine for a light car or roadster. One was used in a show car called the Red Baron.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  22. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

^^^^ Red baron ^^^^

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  23. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

24. Had a 250chev installed in the 34 truck , dual carbs header , offenhauser valve cover , ran great !!!!
    But had to have this ohc motor

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  25. Several years ago i had a 64 tempest with a 215 L6. I looked for a sprint motor for quite awhile never could find one so i settled for a bbc

bchctybob and Deuces like this.
  26. chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  27. chriseakin

chriseakin

That would have been The Red Baron!

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  28. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Yep some parts are expensive .... have you priced out rebuilding a flathead, early Olds, Caddy ?... if you have a purpose they are a neat engine , once built got power, run good , if you can’t use it there are lots of folks out there that will ..... you can easily get more than what you paid ....

29. Deuces

Deuces

I thought the red baron was powered by a german inline 6 motor....

craig b blue and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Had a 250 chev installed in the 34 truck, dual carbs, header, Offenhauser valve cover, ran great !!!!
    But had to have this ohv motor."
    You shoulda checked closer -- the Chevy was an ohv motor.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.