Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 carbs? How to set up to blow up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frizby, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

I have a question. The time has come to buy the bits and peices for my six carb setup, but I have no Idea what I need. I have the intake and 6 holley 94's model 59's. The motor is a 401 out of a 66 buick electra. The motor is stock for now. I would like to run 4 of the six carbs, maybe something like the back two as primaries, and the front two as secondaries, with the center two blocked off. What do I need to block the carbs off? Do you plug the jets and the power valve? Do I need to change the vacum pull of the power valves, if so where is a good starting point. Same with the jet numbers do I need to richen up the primaries or lean them out. Where can I get the best parts? Do I need new throtlle plates like speedway sells? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, this is all new to me. Help me grenade this motor!!!

2. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

I.m doing a 6 duece set-up also and have read that some guys are using all six and running a straight linkage set-up as opposed to a progressive.....Like to see some of those guys check in here.........

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

You will have to make a thin plate to go under your center two carbs, you can remove the butterflies in them so they do not hot the plate . All of the throttle shaft arms can be found on e-bay, I buy all of my rod ends from Mcmaster Carr.........you can make all of your rods, which ever way you go, male or female rod ends...........I would run all four corners as primaries, so your linkage will be straight. You will have to solder up the fuel nipples on your fuel log that go to the center blocked carbs, other than that you do not have to touch the center two carbs...............Once your comfortable with running the four corners you can open up the centers and dial all of them in...Your plugs will tell you where they want jetted....I run all six with the power valves blocked, but some do not block them........Littleman

4. farmer_joe620

farmer_joe620

im not to sure that runnin the fronts and rears on a non-strait linkage setup would prolly make the motor run like crap. youd be havin it idle on a set of carbs that arent distributing fuel to all the cylinders evenly. you get what i mean.
    i think that to get ya goin you could run it of the 2 center carbs, and then adapt a progessive linkage off that. im pretty sure that stock 401 would run awsome with all them holleys breathin though.

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A thin sheetmetal plate under the non-functioning carbs for a block off. The butterflys on a 94 won't hit the block off plate like the Rochesters do. Plug off the fuel line fitting at the dead carbs with solder or a good epoxy. If no fuel gets into the dead carbs, it can't leak into the manifold.

I've never heard of anyone trying your system. If you have problems getting it to work, you may have a hard time finding anyone with experience with that setup to help you. For the first go around, I'd start by running just the center 2 carbs or the 4 corner carbs straight. It actually will be easier to syncronize.

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I run progressive and have run blockoff plates. first I do not think you can block off like you stated. youo have to run either center or outers.. not front or back. I made thin plates and used gasket material under the base and then threaded a screw with a small rubber washer into the inlet nut (so it was hidden inside the fuel line).

7. Plowboy

Plowboy

Heath, I found the carb guy from Peoria at the Nats.

Of course, if you wouldn't have bailed out on me you would have known that!

8. Frizby

Frizby
    from Cisco, Il

I'm sure you got his number for me, or maybe explained what I wanted to do, and discussed it with him and have all the answers for me then!!! Like I said it gets old going to car shows with no car! Maybe if I stay home from a few and save my money I'll finally reach my goal. The age old strugle!! I'm sure you were lonely and had a hard time finding poeple to talk to!!!

Thanks for all the ideas. I've never set up a 6carb system before, so I'm in the dark. I will either try running the center two only or the outer 4 with straight linkage. It just seems like a 401 cubic inch motor would be starving for fuel with just two, maybe not. Thanks to all who replied.

What's the deal with the power valves? Should I plug all the ones I'm using?