Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster P-51

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AULIZ, Nov 21, 2020.

1. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I could build that. If I had any money, skills and ambition.

Stogy and soddruntlestuntle like this.
  2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hmmm... I do not know Your resources (money, knowledge, skills),... but normally if just work, work and work , You can have all those. Ambition..... if not have that --> its game over. Nothing to do.

10hours worked with SS mesh, alum. frames, rivets. I hate those frames, finally those are there. Not 100%, but I leave those and move on....

My friend Lasse visit and I asked him to test if seat is installed too low. He told me seat is too low.... Shoulders are lower than top of door. I like this. If too low to drive, I can drill new holes 1" upper in those seat frames.

Aulis

stoker-681.jpg stoker-682.jpg stoker-683.jpg stoker-684.jpg stoker-685.jpg stoker-686.jpg stoker-687.jpg

Drylake, Irish Mike, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  3. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you going to pinstripe? It would make your body mods "pop"

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. AULIZ

AULIZ

That is good question. I have think that pinstripes are maybe needed to "cheer up". I have never had so "dark" 1932 ford and look strange for me.... OK, I like more and more this chestnutbrown color.

Maybe I use my own beugler pinstriping machine and make something "not professional but own".
    Iwory, Blue,.... those look good with brown backround. P-51 texts are nice, but our world known pinstriper, here in Finland, was promise three times to come pinstripe my ext roadster (McCulloch supercharged B-17).... Never seen that man here. After 3 promises, I send him email and told him that his nose can be "sick", when I see him next time.

I hate that new culture which is slowly coming here too. They promise, but not even try to keep their words.
    Same shit happen last month. Woman who promised to make interior, was doing nothing. In the beninng (January) she promised to do interior (very simple style) in 2-4weeks. I asked her if she needs prepayment, I can do that, but she told me no need money in advance. After 3 month I reach her. She was not ordered leatherette, she was doing nothing during 3 month. I drive there and take all stuff , leaved interior panels next place. Maybe get all now during 5/2021.

I know that "keep timeschedule" or "keep words" is not their normal life in Southern Europe "banana countries" (Spain, Portugal, Italy...... If they say "we send stuff tomorrow" , it means " se send stuff maybe next week".
    Now a days those same manners are slowly come here too.....

AULIS

5. AULIZ

AULIZ

Exhaust Friday.
    VHT 2000 F (1093 Celcius) is good paint (Brakedrums, headers, ...)

Aulis

stoker-688.jpg stoker-689.jpg stoker-690.jpg stoker-691.jpg stoker-692.jpg stoker-693.jpg

patmanta, Stogy, brEad and 6 others like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Aulis... From the side view pic of you sitting in the car, you are NOT sitting too low.
    Guys that sit too high look out-of-proportion to the car, especially a '32 roadster.
    Worse are channeled cars with too-high seating...Guys in channeled cars look to be sitting in a bathtub.
    The final look of the car is captivating. Perfect example of a '32 Highboy!
    I've been involved with '32 Highboys ever since 1952, when I got my first ride at 10 years old with the older member of the fastest racing team at the drags. Al's '32 roadster was black, tall, and fenderless. Adequate flathead was a 59A, 5/16" X 1/4", or 1/8" overbore, stock Merc 4" crank. Navarro equipped, very rapid for the time.
    I was impressed at how low in the car we sat...It's a 'profile' that is correct.
    Beautiful roadster. And the Cab is excellent! Can't imagine how a modulator can be less than joyous!

warbird1, Stogy and AULIZ like this.
  7. AULIZ

AULIZ

THanks Mike
    I need to read Your text twice or more. I like those old stories and info.

In car is my friend Lasse. He was stop to coffee break in my place and I asked him to sit there. I want to see myself how all looks...

I liked my ex Roadster (B-17 in my website : www.auliz.fi , I had here same kind of topic too), where I used those WWII wooden seats (Friz Zieparth, Rialto CA). I installed those low and liked very much. This P-51 roadster seats are maybe 2" lower installed. I made seatframes so that those are in to floor pan before turned up.

I agree, many times Guys are sit too high. Looks like "gorilla drives pedal car".... Also looks funny if big HD Guys are use normal size harleys....

Aulis

Stogy and brEad like this.
  8. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

[QUOTE I agree, many times Guys are sit too high. Looks like "gorilla drives pedal car".... Also looks funny if big HD Guys are use normal size harleys....
    I agree with you, you need to be in the car not on the car

Stogy and AULIZ like this.
  9. AULIZ

AULIZ

Today, Saturday, Crew Chief Oskar is bicycle here when he is waked up from mothers place. I will make before that maincylinder >< pedal -rod and adjust brakeshoes ready. Oskar need to be my "pedalman" when I bleed brakes.

Yesterday I bought 68Ah 12V battery. Realized that I have forget to drill holes thru floorpan before painted body... Need to drill two mounting holes and one bigger hole for + -cable.

A

brEad, AndersF and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finland's roads are going to be soon warmed up with some New Hotrod Shoes...you have got to be getting excited on getting this together Auliz...so close to ignition...your son's getting his Hotrod fix real early in his lifetime...

I like the...is it a 65 GTO?...the Tiger in the Tank 60s Factory Hotrod...I had a 66 GTO Conv...even had flames come out through the hood scoop one day stepping on it in a parking lot...that was a hair raising day for Stogy...it sure wasn't because it was running good...:D 421 3x2s 4speed it had...Gran Turismo Omologato...

Are those the same tailights as the Last Coupster You worked on with welded doors or bigger and perhaps Aircraft?...hence the P51 Roadster

11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello Sir.
    Days are longer and longer. around 20dec celcius today. We use that weather only T-shirt, same weather in California they have winter coat and beanie hat....

Yesterday and today I have started to make wirings. Starter solenoide 35mm2 cable from battery to front,.. Yesterday I lathe battery mounting studs and istalled new 65Ah 12V battery in to trunk. Maybe start up before next weekend. Now ready + and - cables. Starter solenoid + all wirings. Magneto is also "wired".
    Tomorrow morning I will continue with engine wirings (generator, voltage regulator) , lights, turnsignals...
    White car is 1965 GS Buick. 401cid nailhead + automatic. I bought car last October. They say in US GS Buick club that this 65 GranSport is "worlds fastest nailhead engined stock Buick". 12.79 / 103.00mph. Need to test some week when they have Test & Tune day in dragway. One man was try to buy Buick but I told him that im not sell it because I like that kind on "Tuned original car". Buyer found 1965 GTO 335hp 100% original car from here Finland. Very nice car, I have known that GTO 40years. Same family owned all the time. My Buick is original but made all tricks and something extra... Greg Gessler has worked with heads, intake and carb. Carmen Fasco has made shortblock, tranny.... Also changed converter to Coan 3500rpm, Eaton lockright, Richmond R&P, custommade driveshaft, SS exhaust...

1965 GTO had +10hp more than 1965 GS Buick, but Buick had much more torque than Pontiac.
    401cid GS engine had 445 lbs torque. That number was seen also in airfilter sticker.

Coupster taillights were small round Dietz marker lights. I changed bottoms for dual lamps.
    These Roadaster taillights are 40´s Aircraft landing lights made by Crimes. P-51.... other planes were used those Crimes lights. Seats are from P-51, magnesium material. Super lightweight stuff.

Someday need to start cut and weld driving lights. I want to insert on headlights old triangled turn signals....

Aulis

20210515_120435.jpg 20210515_120446.jpg 20210515_121829.jpg 20210515_135101.jpg 20210515_164742.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    brEad, Stogy and AndersF like this.
  12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

When I tap a bolt or flair a line I hold it in my vice with soft jaw inserts that I drilled holes in. This allows me to hold it tight without distorting it. Hope this tip helps you out. Frank FB07DF4C-619A-471B-BB50-EE1765E94D5B.jpeg B9AFEFDB-7E61-4739-BED2-9B1A00AB473E.jpeg 3C59D621-D862-4221-A4F5-6D21B76E8230.jpeg E83C68A4-DF18-4552-BEEC-144EA1553B69.jpeg B1EE7269-86F2-461A-B04E-D6439878BF8F.jpeg

brEad, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Frank , that is what I have never found from here. I need to order those. Very good stuff! good friction, not need to use so much power. and tubes are still round after all!

Can You advice where they sell those jaws?

Pictures:
    - Sunday I start to make wirings. I use cloth wires, maybe also some of those ready cloth wire sets.
    - Today I picked up interior stuff. Quality is OK, price very low. They made all as simple as I want. No truck´n´roll, only simple set.
    - Later I increase alum. doorhandle escutheons (own handmade), when I make those.
    - Maybe "map pockets" to the doors. I have some plans, let´s see what comes out.
    - Yesterday my friend visit in my place. I lift off hoods, piece those. He help me when I hammered rivets more tight. Now alum. hood parts fit better.

Aulis

stoker-694.jpg stoker-695.jpg stoker-696.jpg stoker-697.jpg stoker-698.jpg stoker-699.jpg stoker-700.jpg stoker-701.jpg stoker-702.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    brEad, patmanta, SPEC and 5 others like this.
  14. patsurf

patsurf

15. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Love the mesh panels in your hood. Try Googling Magnetic soft jaws for a vice, Summit, Speedway Motors have them. Here is what I found when i goggled it. Let me know if this helps. If you cant find you a set I’ll mail you a set. Frank 48C4FA33-5736-42ED-8450-7ADB92069577.png

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks. I order both summit and speedway motors. I must buy two different set.
    Aulis

Stogy and 1-SHOT like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

my friend Mick an excellent machinist would thread tube in the lathe.threading outside he would move the tailstock forward to keep the die square.same for tapping just an observation.

Stogy likes this.
  18. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Aulis, don’t you really want a chart pocket? Really like your build, very much not same old like most. I look forward to your daily progress.

Stogy likes this.
  19. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Aulis just clamp them in your vice and drill them the size you need. Glad to be of help. Frank

Stogy likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Form clamping...shape determined...good one @1-SHOT...Vices a Man Cave Staple...;)

@AULIZ...Thanks for the info on the GS Hotrod...literally...Sure shares GTOs DNA but the front ends are notably different...Nice series for GM

GTO= Get Turned On
    GS=Good Shit...

I want to see that Speed Slip the day you let the Tiger Out...

Hotrods looking awesome!!

brady1929 likes this.
  21. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sirs.
    Sometimes I have used Lathe when made threads in my friends machinery shop. My lathe/millingmachine is too small size for that. Can´t install bigger here because my garage is only 70sqm and I do not want to built bigger place or invest any other place like 2nd garage. 70squere meters is OK for me + 25sqm warm garage 1/8mile from my house. There I have two 1932 every winter.

I can make those jaws, but I think that many times its better to use time for building cars than make something like that. Here many american car enthusiast are try to built themself englishwheel, beadroller machine....because they want to save money....--> after 5years they still are built those machines or those are nto 100% ready for enjoyable use.

I bought my english wheel, beadroller machine ready. Maybe expensive, but best quality stuff. Those are Lazze -stuff from Sweden. Now a days he is live in California (have been there +10y). Lazze has those sheetmetal courses and Youtube videoclips. When buy ready machine: Can work longer dayjobweek or do somehting else business and put that money for good quality tools/machines or other way is try to "innovate wheel again" and projects are still projects on garage floor....

Anyway , i think that I can save big money because I can do so many job myself, but also know that its easier to pay something ready and save time and not try to learn everything....

Vice Jaws: I will order from USA ,when need something more.

It´s 6.30 Tuesday morning. Just sell some bearings to my industrial customers (orders arrived yesterday evening) and "move" my dayjob office to garage. I hate that wiring job (I´m not good in that => I must write down instructions how to connect relays, swiches...)... In the evening Oskar has academy of music end of season concert. Can´t go there because we still have very much limits here due to Covid-19. OK, situation in Finland is better than many other coutries, but part of Finland they have 6person max. possible in same happening. This part of Finland we have also limits with meetings. Oskar´s mother is there and she is video me Oskar´s quitar playing (Fender electric quitar). Good hobby and costs only 300-400euro year (teaching, plectras,...). Good news too. 1st time last 10y period they (govenment) pay me back 2070euro taxes (2020 taxation)! I pay normally +30% taxes my dayjob. Normally final calculation has been near zero or need to pay few hundred more... this time like "jackpot".... Normally they want more and more.... more gastaxes, bigger VAT, more taxes and other costs from Your salary, they raise age when You can stay pension...

Aulis

Next Saturday Test&Tune 1/4mile is cancelled due to covid limits. I was plan that I drive there (radial dot slicks) and test my GS. OK, I can stay home and built this car ready or rodding to eat Ice-cream....

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Maybe I draw those and give to one man who is working in machinery company near of me. I sell them bearings and he has made me those small spacers between spindle and hub and between drum and wheels. They have approx. 20 big CNC machine there. Round holes from 6mm up to 25mm (1/4" - 1"). CNC makes so nice quality, not need to finishing. He can split blocks middle and make those steps for vice.
    Aulis

23. AULIZ

AULIZ

Tuesday. Nice weather all day, garage doors open when working there.
    Generator, regulator, starter, starter relay, magneto and magnetoswitch are connected. Also made oilpress tube.
    Rear taillight wirings are ready, tomorrow need to connect those. First thing in the morning I made bracket for turnsignal switch. I do not like bolt it to steering column. Column must leave like it is.
    Also drilled one switch more for headlights. I was think that I use scintilla aviaton magnetoswitch for headlight connecting. I was sit down use circuit analyzer and make wiring drawing. I note that this magneto switch is mean to use with 4 magneto (LL, LR and another side RR, RL). Magnetoswitch works so that when You turn switch on for example to LL (left left magneto) , switch release magneto from ground. I was think that I use another side magnetoswitch for headlights, but then I need to use two relay because magnetoswitch is working different way than normal switch. Now I connect in magnetoswitch 1) main electric switch 2) magneto.

New switch in dash is for headlights/taillights.

Tomorrow fuelpressure tube, taillight/turnsignal/brakelight connect, watertemp (mec), headlights, front turnsignals...

Aulis

stoker-703.jpg stoker-704.jpg stoker-705.jpg stoker-706.jpg stoker-707.jpg stoker-708.jpg stoker-709.jpg stoker-710.jpg stoker-711.jpg stoker-712.jpg stoker-713.jpg stoker-714.jpg stoker-715.jpg

63fdsnr, elgringo71, Stogy and 10 others like this.
  24. SPEC

SPEC

This build just keep getting better!

Stogy and brEad like this.
  25. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thank You Sir.
    There is circle track 30miles south from my house. This weekend old TT -motorcycles (RoadRacing) have race there. Magnetoman , who is recoil and rebuilt magnetos is bring there my Harman Collins magneto coil. He is older man, but still racing with old vintage motorcycles. I need to take my cabriolet and drive down there see race, pick up magneto coil.

Yesterday, today I have worked with rod wirings. Rear taillights are working, turnsignals are working, signal lights in dash are working. Today made front wiring set. Next need to connect headlights, front turnsignals when I have painted headlights and install those.

Tomorrow I make oilchange. New Kendall Green racing oil in and I fire up engine.Headlight bar ends need paint etc.
    I found old small mirror. Maybe I use that. I do not like those roadster original style mirrors, but this mirror looks nice brass stuff.

Aulis

stoker-717.jpg stoker-718.jpg stoker-719.jpg stoker-720.jpg stoker-721.jpg stoker-722.jpg stoker-723.jpg stoker-724.jpg stoker-725.jpg

63fdsnr, Stogy, KiwiGlen and 5 others like this.
  26. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I use Joe Gibbs break in oil because it designed to break in mew motors and has worked good for me on all my flat motors and ones with flat tapped lifters.

Stogy likes this.
  27. AULIZ

AULIZ

I have hear about that oil. We do not have that available here. I use Gulf 10W40 classic (increased zink) oil in my GS Nailhead. I drive that car also when not so warm weather, so oil must be 10W30 or 10W40.
    Normally when drive roadster or cabriolet, its warm weather so 20W50 is OK to use. Sometimes I have used straight 50 Pennzoil or Kendall.

This Green Racing 20W50 kendall has also increased zink. That oil is very "greasy" even when its warm/hot.
    I use that oil my street race 1968 Nova. When engine warm and open valvecovers, oil stack hands.
    Expensive oil, but I have bought pair 20litre (5gal) can. good sponsorprice.
    AULIS

AndersF likes this.
  28. noboD

noboD

Joe Gibbs has lot of zinc. Read about it on his website.

Stogy likes this.
  29. AULIZ

AULIZ

Yes I did. I order that stuff when take next time seacontainer freight.
    Good advice always welcome.

Aulis

Stogy likes this.
  30. AULIZ

AULIZ

This Kendall I have used my race engines 20-30y.
    Paraffin basic and zink increased. When You open valvecovers and engine is very warm after race, This oil is still there on rockers and stack You hands. They sell only 20litre cans, no normal 4gal, 5gal shop sizes.

[​IMG]

Stogy, brEad and AndersF like this.