Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Boxing Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mechanic'ly DEclined, May 12, 2021.

1. Searched HAMB for recommended Model A frame boxing plates, came across a couple to include the attached by Wolfes Metal Fabrication.

Theirs are same gauge and seem to be similar material as others and at normal market price; however they offer dimpled plates, which is what I'm interested in, at almost twice the cost.

Was curious if anyone has purchased/used these before or what your thoughts were, thank you!

IMG_5954.jpg

https://www.wolfesmetalfabrication.com/ModelADimpledboxingplates.html

2. Those look nice. The dimpled holes are a time consuming process so the cost offset is not out of this world. Factor in the cost of buying several size Dimple dies that can do 10 gauge to do it yourself and you will see that its not a bad price. if i was boxing an A frame i would def consider these. Havent used them but i certainly would. Iona Hot Rods sells a similar set up for 32 ford frames. the price is on par with these.

https://www.ioniahotrods.com/product-page/1932-ford-full-length-boxing-plates

Mechanic'ly DEclined likes this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

My thoughts are, a lot of cost for what benefit? It's a purely aesthetic thing, right? I mean, there may be a weight reduction, but are you planning on racing where you want to reduce every ounce of weight, than maybe there could be a benefit; but most of us aren't striving for maximum weight reduction (A's are pretty light anyway, right?). And as for an aesthetic benefit, an A's bones are tucked away pretty good, you really never see them. IMO, I'd put the money somewhere with a better return on the money.

4. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I thought about these myself for a 32 frame. They look nice, even if just to make you happy when the body is off. One concern I had was crap getting into the frame rails. You might play hell trying to get things clean after a road trip or on the salt.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. Thank you! Appreciate the feed back.

Definitely not trying to cut weight or use for race applications but do like the way they look and figured the increase in cost was for the machine work done

Appreciate y’all’s experienced input, it’s exactly what I was looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. I bought some plates with holes in them off of eBay years ago, they worked good....but they aren't dimpled. I bought them so I can still get to the nuts for the body and running boards (I didn't want to weld in caged nuts this time).

Tim, Guy Patterson and Blues4U like this.