Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Screw-in wheel stud - lock washer needed?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Crotty 32, May 11, 2021.

1. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

My Winters Nostalgia V8 quick change came with ten 1/2”-20 screw in wheel studs along with ten internal tooth lock washers. After I installed them on one axle (with red loc-tite, torqued to 90 ft/lb), I started wondering if this was correct. Doing an internet search, I am not convinced that these lock washers should be used in this scenario.

Strange axle has wheel stud kits that just use hardened washers with their screw-in wheel studs.

I’ve got an inquiry email out with Winters now, but figured I’d ask the H.A.M.B. community as well. Thoughts? Are these lock washers meant to go somewhere else? Am I overthinking it?

IMG_6241.JPG
    IMG_6242.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Looking at the one washer that’s hanging out on one side it don’t look right !

nochop and Hnstray like this.
  3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I've never used washers just loc tite

guthriesmith and Hnstray like this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Lock washers OR Loctite.
    Since you've already done the work, (with "red" Loctite), walk away passively..!

And for what it may be worth, "proper" (American made) multi-tooth lock washers are a MUCH better choice than split lock washers.
    When I say "proper", most offshore multi-tooth lock washers do not have the proper hardness.

Mike

pitman and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. gatz

gatz

Agree !
    Probably an unhardened cheap import washer; way too big.

Something to check, as the only issue I can see is the unformed thread portion under the bolt head not allowing the underside of the hex head to contact the flange completely. But, if the holes on that side of the flange have been c'sunk (or deburred) enough, it shouldn't be a problem.
    LocTite should suffice

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. [QUOTE="gatz, post: 14058272, member: 152810" The unformed thread portion under the bolt head not allowing the underside of the hex head to contact the flange completely. LocTite should suffice[/QUOTE]

This is the Exact reason for the washers. I prefer hardened flat washers of proper I.D. instead of a counter sink and loosing 2 threads in the flange. Red Lock-tight is plenty.

7. Yea, not sure what is recommended by the manufacturer of the axle or studs, but my engineering background would say ditch the washer and just use the loctite. If I were to add any washer, it would be a hardened flat washer as has been mentioned.

stillrunners, pitman, nochop and 4 others like this.
  8. gatz

gatz

A hardened 7/16 SAE washer (15/32 ID) would do the job nicely. However, the OD is a tad big at 59/64

https://www.earnestmachine.com/sites/default/files/products/imported/WHS.pdf

9. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

I’m leaning towards the hardened washer route now for the other axle - and kicking myself for assembling one axle with the oversized, cheap lock washers with red loctite. Breaking that free to replace with hardened washers will be a chore....

10. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Nah. Hit the bolts with a propane torch for a few minutes and they'll back right out. Jack E/NJ

Jibs, jimmy six, egads and 3 others like this.
  11. Yep, I had the same thought.

12. I don't think I agree with heating a grade 8 wheel stud. If I did I would also pitch them in the scrap bucket and replace them. I'd grab my air wrench and rattle them out, clean the threads on both bolt and hole and reuse them with hardened washers.

13. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

I’ve read that non-chlorinated brake clean dissolves red loctite away too. I might give that a chance before I attempt any heat. But I do want to get those little lock washers OUT. Just doesn’t look/feel right after stepping back from it last night.

Pist-n-Broke and guthriesmith like this.
  14. Good thought and keeping the heat low with a propane torch would be best if heat is needed.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

hard to see if the flange is even spot faced for the washer to sit flat. Retention whether lock washer or locktite , so that the stud does not back out installing the lug nut, as long as both threads are smooth during instalation, it does not take a whole lot to keep the stud/bolt in place and its not like you are changing tires lake a NASCAR pit crew

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

An extra bit of prep when using a liquid threadlocker is to use this product from Loctite.
    It increases the efficiency by removing any mfg oils and priming for threadlocker.

upload_2021-5-11_9-26-8.png

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  17. Crotty 32

Crotty 32

Curveball - got a response back from Winters with the same pictures asking if these washers torqued to 90 with red loctite is the proper install method and they said “Yes, that is correct”

I’m still leaning towards switching them out for hardened washers (if they lay flat...I think they will)

18. 58 Mustang

58 Mustang

This seems far more than belt and suspenders. Once the wheels are on and the lug nuts are torqued down, the chances of those bolts falling out are pretty near nil

19. RmK57

RmK57

My Dutchman axles used small hardened flat washers. The bolts have Strange embossed on them also.
    When I first installed my axles I didn't use any Loctite, big mistake. A couple of the bolts backed out and tore up some of my brake hardware. Lesson learned on that episode.

One thing I forgot to mention is I'm using a shank style wheel nut so you cant see the stud backing out.

guthriesmith likes this.
  20. gatz

gatz