Register now to get rid of these ads!

H and H antiques in La Crescenta

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leroux, Jun 13, 2013.

1. leroux

leroux
    from SoCAl

getting ready to have my A motor done here...any have had work done by them and have feed back?

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I completely wiped this thread as there was a lot of confusion between H&H Flatheads and H&H Antiques. These are two DIFFERENT companies. The post above is in reference to H&H Antiques. Please don't confuse the two.

I know both Max (H&H Antiques) and Mike (H&H Flatheads) a little bit (good guys), but not all that well. So, I'm not wiping this thread to protect a buddy or anything. Editorial isn't for sale. I just don't think the previous thread was fare to either due to all the confusion.

As such, please limit your comments to H&H Antiques so that we can avoid confusion this time around.

Thanks fellas,

Ryan

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Ryan - thanks for cleaning this up so that there is no confusion.

We had H&H Antiques do a Model B engine with a Miller/Schofield OHV conversion. The engine has been great, and makes a lot of power.

[​IMG]

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

My post was about H&H Antiques. This isn't hearsay it is my story.

I spent over $15,000 on a OHV banger build that the crank broke in less then 250 miles of street driving. When I pulled it down I was horrified with the quality of the build. Machining fines everywhere, Less then .060" fillet radii in all of the crank bearing journals, the pressure relief valve for the oiling system was installed backwards, and one of the pistons was over 5 grams heavier then the others.

When I was discussing the build with Max, I asked if they would balance the rotating assembly. I was told that they did. I asked for the balance sheet when I picked up the engine, I was told that they didn't use them. If they balanced the engine, they should have found the heavy piston.

I asked for an oil filter to be added to the oiling system and I was told that they didn't do that because there was no effective way to filter the oil.

When I took the crank out, all of the bearings looked like they been run for many more miles then they had. I took the crank and the bearings back to them and they agreed to replace them. I told them that the fillet radii was far too small (I'm a Mechanical Engineer) and had made a CAD drawing of the bearing assemblies that showed that an 1/8" fillet would easily clear all of the bearings. When I received the replacement crank, the fillet radii were no bigger then the crank that had broke. When I questioned that with them, there response was that their crank grinder couldn't grind a radius larger then that. That crank broke in less then 1500 mile.

Frustrated with having another broken crank, the engine now sits on my garage floor as a reminder to why I will never do business with H&H ever again.

A picture of the engine on their test stand.

[​IMG]

5. Weasel

Weasel

The Forever Four guys are probably the ultimate reference and collective knowledge base on this subject and it would be interesting to hear what they have to say....

6. What front timing cover is that?

7. Boy this was an old thread.

They're one in the same, though. Same family. Same facility. They may be separate for billing purposes, but thinking they're different companies in reality is naïve.

Retson the Racer and Tman like this.